Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with a question already!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:54 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New member with a question already!

Hello Everyone,I have just bought a midnight blue 993tt with 430bhp factory upgrade with 30,000miles up. I have a question that I'm concerened about and hope you guy's might be able to help! When driving the car occasionaly I feel some vibration and unwanted feedback thro the wheel when going over rough sections of the road. This is something I never experienced on my previous 964 C2 and it just feels a bit loose.Its almost like the road imperfections are jolting the front wheels and this is being fed thro the wheel.Does the car have a steering damper of some sort or any ideas?? If so could this have failed?? Any help would be much appreciated,thanks in advance guy's!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:17 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark,

First of all, congrats on that TT! Midnight Blue is really nice. Welcome aboard.

Afaik, there is no steering damper on the 993s. There are three things I'd point out:
1). Your car is almost 10 years old, so if you're still using the original shocks, you may want to think about an upgrade. Your originals are toast.
2). There are rubber bushings in the front a-arms and steering rack that are prone to wear. Get under the car with a pry bar, and see if anything moves.
3). Your new car is AWD, and has a different "feel" than your previous car. If you get a chance, drive another 993TT and see if your car feels the same.

In what part of the country do you live?
Old 11-27-2004, 03:33 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

That was quick!! Thank you for your reply Steve. I was afraid you were going to say that about the steering damper! I have just been out to the car and bounced the front end up and down.it seems very soft and easy to push down and totally at odds with the back end which hardly moves! I'm beginning to think now that the the front shocks are way past there best.I know the car will feel different to my last one which to be fair was running H&R/Bilsteins,but this definately feels a bit off. Would you recommend changing both front and rear or just the front as the rears seem ok?? I dont want the car to be rock hard(previous set up just right) as I live in Cornwall,England and our roads are less than perfect! Thank you for the warm welcome,I made the right choice of car(once the suspensions done!) it has dark blue leather and turbo s vents in rear wings and front bumper and makes me smile everytime I look at it!!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark,

Your car sounds great, what with those turbo S ducts and all. And the dark blue interior sounds great. How about some pictures?

For sure, you will want to change both front & rear shocks together. It a fairly labor-intensive job, what with the install, 4-wheel alignment and corner balance, so you will want to choose very carefully, so you will only need to do this job once.

There are lots of different upgrade paths for the suspension. Do some searches in the archives on this and the 993 forums (the suspensions are the same). It would be great if you can test drive another TT in your area that has a suspension upgrade so you can feel it for yourself. Consider too how you might want to use the car in the future... track days? On my car. I went with the Bilstein PSS-9 kit because of its adjustability... its a pretty good compromise for street and track use.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how helpful people are on this board.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Mark,

Congratulations on your new car, looking forward to see some pictures. Steve has pretty much covered it all, I would just add that what you are experiencing could be due to your tire condition and/or size. It could be that you are experiencing tramlining, as these tires are fatter than the carrera, ride height will also affect ride quality and make the ride rougher.

Just my 0.2c
Old 11-27-2004, 04:30 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

Steve,I will definatley have a look round and see what people are running on their cars,unfortunately there are very few 993's near me although I have driven a stock 993 c2's which did feel more 'planted' than mine. I have just seen an advert with Power Marques for a Bilstein/Eibach set up which looks reasonable,I used this combination on my previous BMW e30 M3 which was really compliant and a good compromise. Guess my expensive dream car just got a bit more expensive!!!! Having been thro the experience with the 964C2 I appreciate that I only want to do this once.I was hoping I wouldnt have to do anything but drive it for a while but it just has to be right doent it.(I'm sure you guy's know exactly what I mean!) As for the performance it makes me laugh out loud everytime I drive it! I will definatley take some pictures and post them.Thank you for your comments on the car and your help,i have a feeling this is a slippery slope and will be on this great site a lot!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 04:42 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

Hi Jean, I think your right that Steve has pretty much covered it.I will have to give my credit card some abuse!! I see what your saying about tramlinning but it feels different to that, it just feels loose and floaty.Tyres are standard and nearly new. I will send some pics soon and let you know how I get on. This site is invaluable and its great knowning that all you guy's are out there!!!Hope i can repay and contribute in some way in the future!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:18 PM
harryb
Advanced

Hey:

Great looking car. I recently picked up a midnight blue 1996 TT myself and have had a similar experience. I had a 964 C2 w/ aftermarket TT and H&R suspension prior to the new one. When I got the new car, the suspension felt VERY loose to me. I had the sensation that I was driving a speedboat!! I recently had a full suspension upgrade with H&R coilovers and swaybars. Spectacular. Car is tracking beautifully and is just stiff enough without being absurdly unfriendly on the street. I'd recommend upgrading the full suspension and you will be very happy.

harry
Old 11-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Mark!
What a great choice to upgrade to! I hope you're happy with your new car.When I bought mine, I was so satisfied, and I still am. The best bang-for-the-buck car you can get!

Dont want to be rude, but as a new member of the 993TT forum, we DEMAND pictures! Tell us all about the details!

What options do you have and what modifications you plan to get?
Are you going to track the car?
Any thoughts about using it during wintertime?
What is your favourite Porsche?

..oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to the board and feel free to ask questions. The search tool is also very powerful when solving problems. Sooo many have been covered here!

I just "wrapped" mine in, for the winter, with a newly bought carcover from Porsche. Fits really nice, and seems to have great quality.

Cheers!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:12 PM
mark.c
Intermediate

Talking

Hi Guy's!! I can honestly say I have never been made to feel more welcome in any other car club or forum as I have here so a big thank you to all! As for the pictures I will take some and post them as soon as possible(probably after the new suspension is fitted in case I drop it down a little!) As for the car its 1996 car with 30,000 miles and one previous owner, I bought it from Hermanns & Schmitz in germany(www.911-rs.de) and had it imported to the UK. It is lhd which is not ideal over here but its a very small price to pay for a better value car with much lower mileage than rhd examples offered over here. (my previous 964 and BMW e30 M3 were both lhd too). Its midnight blue with full dark blue leather comfort seats.(wanted sports seats but cant have everything!) Car has aircon and sunroof and factory aluminium dials.It's also factory fitted with 'S' rear wings with air ducts and 'S' front brake ducts with small fog lights. It has the factory 430bhp power upgrade and runs standard wheels and tyres.the car has very few stone chips and is on its original paint except for the front bumper which was painted by H&S prior to delivery. Plans for the car in the imediate future will be to fit some suspension that works(!) to make it handle like the car it should be. After that I'm expecting to become used to the cars performance and with the influence of this forum will no doubt be looking for more!! As for events and how I will use the car,I always tried to keep my C2 off the road in winter but sometimes the temptation was too much and it had to come out and I suspect this will be the same! As for track days I am a member of a county sports car club which has loads of nice cars (mostly Ferrari's it has to be said) and we attend track days and events (hopefully Le Mans this year) so the car will get used as intended. My last slightly modified C2 used to hold its own with the rest of the guys so I'm looking forward to keeping up the Porsche end with this one! Thanks again guy's and I will let you know how I get on.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Mark,

Welcome to the board and congrats on your new TT... Pics please. I am a new TT owner as well but still love seeing other TTs....

Rassel,
That is a cool cover, is that avialable here is the U.S. I especially like the Porsche crest on the cover.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:56 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

.Congrats Mark, your car sounds beautiful.........
Old 11-29-2004, 04:00 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Tripp,

I look forward to seeing your TT as well..... I bet you can't wait until Tuesday.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:24 AM
MOD500
Racer

Welcome Mark

Nice to have one more UK based member with a TT, I live near Leeds myself.

Enjoy your car.

Kind Regards

Martyn.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tony,
The cover is from Porsche Tequipment and is made for the 993TT. It says 993 Turbo on it and fits like a glove. I can see if I can dig up the part number for you. I just walked in to my local Porsche dealer and asked for it. They then ordered it from Porsche A.G and I got it a week later.

Quick Reply: New member with a question already!