Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:04 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Jammers??

Anyone have experience with these??

http://www.auto-radar-detectors.com/phantom.html

Since it's illegal in CA, is it better?? than the Valentine 1???

any thoughts??
Old 09-13-2004, 06:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I can build one, active or Passive. But I believe both would be illiegal in Ca. Actually the
passive one might be legal. But it would require a spinning aluminum disk that has
a bigger radar cross section than the font of our cars (signature not phsyical size maybe 6" in diameter). you could then dial in the frequency that would match what ever speed you wanted to
dial in, but still probably not visually stimulating.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:43 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

You can use radar detectors in CA. passive jammers are what the name suggests. PASSIVE. they are essentially mirrors. they reflect the signal right back and are a total waste of money. "active" jammers are the real deal, they will throw off the reading of the officer's gun. these are illegal in all 50 states, and you WILL go to jail for obstruction of justice, intervention in a police "investigation," etc. And don't think you won't get caught with it. When an officer sees you barrelling down the freeway around 100, and his gun reads 57, he has more than reasonable suspicion to stop you and search your vehicle. Jammers are so illegal and will get you into so much more trouble than a ticket. Just stay away with them and use a detector ONLY.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually we use passive ones here that WORK on our electronic combat range. the problem is you really cant put one in a car. A 6" spinning aluminum disk on your dash turning at 10Khz would effectively take care of the police radar but the mechanicals would be prohibitive in a car and if you stuck your finger in the contraption you might lose it. the ones for sale for cars ARE junk however.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

You might want to check that "legality" statement since thousands of people have and use K40's laser diffusers. Without problem or question in NC and SC for sure.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:20 AM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe your allowed to use laser diffusers or blockers but not radar jammers/blockers. I read somewhere that the reason is radar is governed by the FCC and there are steep fines for this and I also read that laser signals are not currently govenred by any laws. I did alittle research before buying my Valentine One and that is what I came up with.

Lou

Quick Reply: Radar Jammers??