Sponsored by:

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 01:20 PM
DArredondo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White Smoke

Hello- Just got a couple of months back a TT 993 with X50 option with 65 k kmīs. I took him for a spin yesterday and on a downshift I heard a slight "puff" and a lot of white smoke started blowing out from the back / exhaust. Engine seemed to run fine- except the white smoke heavily blowing out. I was close to home so I put him back in the garage. No oil dripping this morning?
I have read it could be a blown up seal on the turboīs. I am located in San Antonio, TX. Donīt know where to take the car for repair. Will PORSCHE still take young classics for service?
If I am already going to be in there would you upgrade the Turbós to K24īs or keep it original? I have also found this option on the Turbos: TTE800 upgrade.

thanks for the feedback.

The following users liked this post:
TurboIXXI (08-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 10:12 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DArredondo, the puff of white smoke sounds like oil. Usually the driver side exhaust puffs white on start up due to the accumulation of oil in the turbine housing that slowly makes its way from bad oil seals in the turbo of the PASSENGER side. Do a search for Andial turbo hard pipes or turbo oil valve that you can install on the oil lines that connect to your turbos. Both are used to decrease the oil pressure going into the turbo after you shut off the engine. However, you may have to get the turbo's rebuilt anyway. Can't comment on turbo "upgrade" as I don't know a good answer for you Good luck

PS, you can always ask the service advisor in san antonio Porsche for a referral to an independent. They are helpful (I used to live in San Antone). Also, don't be afraid to use the search button to get knowledge readily available on Rennlist. Some members don't like to re-hash a topic that's been covered many, may times....

saludos
Jaime
Old 08-06-2024, 11:32 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

If you have option X50 in your 993tt most likely the turbo's are K24.
Old 08-07-2024, 04:02 PM
TurboIXXI
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
DArredondo, the puff of white smoke sounds like oil. Usually the driver side exhaust puffs white on start up due to the accumulation of oil in the turbine housing that slowly makes its way from bad oil seals in the turbo of the PASSENGER side. Do a search for Andial turbo hard pipes or turbo oil valve that you can install on the oil lines that connect to your turbos. Both are used to decrease the oil pressure going into the turbo after you shut off the engine. However, you may have to get the turbo's rebuilt anyway. Can't comment on turbo "upgrade" as I don't know a good answer for you Good luck

PS, you can always ask the service advisor in san antonio Porsche for a referral to an independent. They are helpful (I used to live in San Antone). Also, don't be afraid to use the search button to get knowledge readily available on Rennlist. Some members don't like to re-hash a topic that's been covered many, may times....

saludos
Jaime
Andial? Why search for something that's not available anymore?

Contact @Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks and get this ROW X50 sorted out.
Old 08-07-2024, 04:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

When was the last time that you drove the car?
How long since you added oil or checked the oil level? What is your dipstick oil level?

I would pull each of the turbocharger inlet piping and check for oil. This sounds like the classic engine case "over-level" backfeed into the turbochargers..
If you have failed turbochargers they will be smoking all the time.
If you engine oil level is high and or IF the engine crankcase oil level is high you will have in the compressor housings, turbocharger inlet piping.

TurboIXXI (08-07-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 08-10-2024, 01:25 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboIXXI
Andial? Why search for something that's not available anymore?

Contact @Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks and get this ROW X50 sorted out.
Oh, because that's where I got mine many years ago. Yes, Kevin also sells them, I forgot....I'v not wrenched in many years now
Old 08-10-2024, 11:02 PM
JEllis
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

In my experience, when these flat 6 motors sit for a while, there is oil build up, and always white smoke. I have owned my 993TT going on six years now. I have had the engine rebuilt in that time, which included having the turbos rebuilt. I have 996TT turbo oil line check valves and I do not over fill. If I drive the car regularly, no issues. If the car sits for a few weeks or a month, I will at best, get some white smoke, at worst, oil pools enough to leak out of the turbo or between the turbo and manifold. I have a few theories... 1. Residual oil in the flat six pools inside the motor/heads and eventually finds an exit.... 2. Oil inside the turbochargers pools enough to eventually find a way out... 3. Oil and blow by in the intercooler pools and eventually leaks down the intercooler pipe and pools inside the turbocharger. My guess it is probably the trapped blow by in the intercooler and a little bit of the other two. I have accepted that the car does much better when I drive it and I try avoid letting the car sit for more than a couple of weeks without at least getting the motor up to temp.

Last edited by JEllis; 08-11-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Coop (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 10:26 AM
C4Spolar
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

The factory 996 turbo check valves works great on 993tt, I tried the turbocrap ones and had much better result with factory ones over the years.

My .02cents.
Old 08-11-2024, 12:01 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Not at all sure if this is correct but I've read that the check valves can stick while the high loops with no valve don't.

Quick Reply: White Smoke