Advice on Autothority DME/ECU modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 04:15 AM
braekk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Autothority DME/ECU modification

Hi! My first post here
I own a 1996 993 Turbo. Carfax shows that it was purchased in North Carolina and was in that area until it was imported to Norway in 2014. Been through a few owners here and i recently bought it. The car was tuned with a Autothority "chip" whilst it was in the US. I'd like to reverse this and bring the engine back to stock. I'm trying to find out exactly what has been done to the engine. The previous owner said that the following parts had to be replaced to reverse it: DME/ECU (it's Bosch part# 758 - dual chip. I'm going to send this to Ecudoctors in Florida to reverse the modification or buy a new Bosch part# 377 DME/ECU from them), fuel pressure regulator, mass air flow sensor and n75 frequency valve.
Has anyone had this setup on their car and can confirm this?
If all this is correct, and I have all the parts, is it plug and play? Just replace all and start the engine?
Appreciate any help and insights on this

Old 06-13-2023, 09:20 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 184 Posts

I don't know the answer, but curious as to what those existing parts would be replaced with other than M64.60 original. Could it be they are Turbo S part numbers (now what is installed) then you need to go back to standard Turbo (non S ) parts? A quick search of the PET doesn't show a large difference in Turbo and Turbo S part numbers, and no difference for MAF (993 606 124 01) for any 993 Turbo model. The Fuel regulator is the same part number for all 993s (993 110 199 00). So the question to answer is what is installed currently that is differs from OEM (that supports the chipped ECU)?
Old 06-13-2023, 09:46 AM
braekk
Track Day

Thanks for replying.
I've done some more digging today. Took off the intercooler to get a better view into the engine.
It has a Autothority MAF (logo on it). I have the original MAF new in box.
I guess the fuel pressure regulator is set to a higher point to allow more fuel into the engine. Also have this part.
It has a Profec boost controller. Could see the Profec logo on a small shiny box on the right side behind the air box. Although the actual display for config is not in the cabin, but the cable is going from the engine forward to the center console. (have requested info on this from previous owner). I guess this could be reversed by just removing it and connecting vacuum lines etc to where they should be? Maybe get some new lines...

Edit: the unit for setting boost etc was hidden under the center console. Found it

Last edited by braekk; 06-13-2023 at 12:39 PM. Reason: new info
Old 06-13-2023, 11:38 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Get yourself a stock 97/98 Bosch ECU, I had bad experience with ECUdoctor in the past.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2023, 09:14 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
Get yourself a stock 97/98 Bosch ECU
Agreed, if available, a fresh unmolested ECU would be best for a "restore to stock".

And you could possibly sell this "upgrade" to recover costs, as a few are still modding "used" Turbos, saw one recently at an HPDE that was driven "used" as designed. Not all Turbos are investments ;-)
Old 06-14-2023, 01:58 PM
braekk
Track Day

I get your point about rather getting a new DME/ECU, but as far as I know it takes a long time and costs a lot of money to order one from Porsche. Or can one get one anywhere else?
SAI is removed on my car so I would want an ROW DME/ECU and I would like the immobilizer bypassed. That’s why I was thinking of using ECU doctors. I see a lot of people are happy with them and some are not.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:17 PM
C4Spolar
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by braekk
I get your point about rather getting a new DME/ECU, but as far as I know it takes a long time and costs a lot of money to order one from Porsche. Or can one get one anywhere else?
SAI is removed on my car so I would want an ROW DME/ECU and I would like the immobilizer bypassed. That’s why I was thinking of using ECU doctors. I see a lot of people are happy with them and some are not.
Freisinger in Germany has used 97/98 993 turbo ECU's for roughly 3000 Euro's and you can upgrade for a 993 turbo S ECU @ 430hp, I bought one from him a while ago and I had no issues. If you want an Immo bypass buy the devise from Jay "Immoblock" on this site, very affordable, works great and you can revert. Your Bosch ECU investment will pay off on the long run, 993 turbo's ain't cheap now day's.

My .02cents.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:13 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow Autothority, haven’t heard that for a while. They were one of the early 993 turbo tuners. I had a autothority maf and ECU in my 85 3.2 targa. (I think they were in Virginia. Was living in Fairfax at the time and drove to the shop -over 20 years ago).
For the 993 turbo, I think the stage that included maf, 5 bar fpr, and external boost controllers also had k24 turbos. So I’d check to see what turbos you have.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:07 AM
braekk
Track Day

Originally Posted by C4Spolar
Freisinger in Germany has used 97/98 993 turbo ECU's for roughly 3000 Euro's and you can upgrade for a 993 turbo S ECU @ 430hp, I bought one from him a while ago and I had no issues. If you want an Immo bypass buy the devise from Jay "Immoblock" on this site, very affordable, works great and you can revert. Your Bosch ECU investment will pay off on the long run, 993 turbo's ain't cheap now day's.

My .02cents.
Thanks. Sent Freisinger an email on Thursday. No reply yet.
I might get that immo block instead. Good advice
Old 06-18-2023, 02:16 AM
braekk
Track Day

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Wow Autothority, haven’t heard that for a while. They were one of the early 993 turbo tuners. I had a autothority maf and ECU in my 85 3.2 targa. (I think they were in Virginia. Was living in Fairfax at the time and drove to the shop -over 20 years ago).
For the 993 turbo, I think the stage that included maf, 5 bar fpr, and external boost controllers also had k24 turbos. So I’d check to see what turbos you have.
Wish I had the k24’s. Unfortunately only stock turbos here. At least you know about the setup. Thanks! I will make a decision on what to do with the DME/ECU and then get those other items replaced with stock ones
Old 07-14-2023, 12:29 AM
braekk
Track Day

Got the engine back to stock this week. "New" DME/ECU from Ecudoctors (against your advice, I know...).
Super happy with how much better it drives now. No more instability at idle and no more rough running.

Quick Reply: Advice on Autothority DME/ECU modification