Cross-post from 993 board: Made a tough decision ... check Rennlist classifieds

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 01:25 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross-post from 993 board: Made a tough decision ... check Rennlist classifieds

Well, I've made a difficult decision. I'm putting the 993TT up for sale. The car's given me quite a few years of amazing fun, but it's time for me to move on to other projects (which I do about every four years). Not sure what the next sports car will be, but after a couple months' breather and ruminating on the subject it's possible it will be a p-car, although if I'm really good to my wife (new kitchen, starting a family, etc.) and my accountant is really good to me, maybe I'll stretch for an Aston Martin AMV8 when it comes out. My trusted mechanic wants me to pick up a 996TT. Otherwise, if the 997 disappoints, I may pick up another 993 (TT, C4S, or even sup. chg. a NA) and start honing it into a DE/track car. From regular enthusiastic use not too long ago, my 993TT has been reduced to a once or twice a month car. For everyday use, I'm looking at picking up an M3, S4, or a Mini, not sure yet. As others on the board have said, if I really want to maximize my fun once or twice a month, then I need to really focus my attention on getting to and being prepared for the track. The 993TT has been pampered since day one of its existence, so I just couldn't stomach gutting this car. So, the car's listed in the Rennlist classifieds for now. Eventually, I may put it on Ebay or Autotrader. The spec list for the car is long, so for more info refer to the Rennlist classifieds (ad # 2752) or the web page I've created ... http://mysite.verizon.net/vze34x7q

I'm not in a rush to sell, so there'll be no bargain basement fire sale price for the car, although in my mind, given all the upgrades and the great condition of the car, I've priced it pretty aggressively to sell. I'm not interested in haggling over every last dollar, but I am somewhat unsure of the market for my car so we'll see how it goes. I'll certainly sell to the first buyer who meets my asking price, but if I'm unable to get that I'll probably sell to the best offer that comes from an enthusiast who can really appreciate the car.

As someone who's been here and supporting the board since the days when it was called Porschelist, I won't be far away at all, I'll continue to browse, chime in, and marvel at the amazing rides as usual, as well as collect information when it's time to start the next project. For all you DC/NoVa/MD boarders, there's no way in hell I'd miss the March 28 gathering, so I won't surrender the keys before then

Peace

Old 03-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear you're selling that beautiful car, but I'm sure the next one will be great. The AMV8 looks VERY promising, especially with 993-man Ulrich Bez heading the company. Keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks Todd, the only way I could even begin to contemplate selling the car was if the goal/projects on the horizon were sufficiently compelling to keep me moving forward. Buying a Mini, an M3, renovating the kitchen? Bah, humbug! But getting to the track, or having an AM, now those are exciting goals.

BTW, did Andi Laszlo come through? I haven't talked to him in ages.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome. Your TT would be tough to let go, but I trust you know what you're doing -- sounds like great things lie ahead.

I've tried to reach Andi Laszlo numerous times and I've left several messages, but so far I haven't gotten anywhere. Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

John PM nota troll he has been looking for a long
time!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the tip, OG, but I saw in a recent thread where Nota said he was looking to make another P-car acquisition sometime next year.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Todd, I'll check in with him. I saw today that Lehman Bros. posted some good quarterly numbers with a strong outlook, so maybe Laszlo's mood will perk up
Old 03-16-2004, 08:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

John Nota was bidding a month ago.
A car like yours does not come along very often
Not with that kind of equipment.
he may move up his schedule.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Seth W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car, fair price IMO. Good luck on next project.

Seth the lurker.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice car, you will have no trouble selling it. Geez, black car, I have a white one - one black TT one white hmmmm - OG, what do you think should I buy a second one?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John.H
If you're in for the fun of driving and focus on trackdays.
I suggest looking at cars such as:

993 RS, 993 GT2, 996 GT3, 996 GT3 - SE, 996 GT3-RS, 996 GT2

Now, I'm not sure how keen you are to have a turbo-charged car, but all of the Porsches above will give you serious joy on the track!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Seth, Mike and OG.

Rassel, I like your line of thinking, but unfortunately we in the US do not have reasonable access to bona fide 993 RS's and 993 GT2's. I'd jump on a 993 RS in a minute. Otherwise, I may try to develop one over time, similar to Jim Morton's former (?) 993 RS clone.

Another problem, as you alluded to, is my addiction to turbocharged power. There's simply no substitute for massive torque. That said, a neighbor has a really stealth supercharged black 993 C4S (drool). While I doubt it could withstand punishing trackwork without additional hardware, it might be interesting for a couple DE's a month. Still thinking and exploring .... haven't gotten appreciable time in a NA 993 before so when I do that should help focus my pursuits.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:12 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by John H. in DC Area
...but I saw in a recent thread where Nota said he was looking to make another P-car acquisition sometime next year.
Hi all. That is correct. I'm searching for my 993TT but won't make a purchase till next year. If I find the right one I could buy as early as Christmas.

Given certain fiscal years closing in June and September I'll have a clearer picture.

Thanks for thinking about me. I'm still here. Marcus...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:25 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John H - Lotus Elise??
Old 03-18-2004, 07:33 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

David, interesting thought, but my brief research on that a couple of weeks ago revealed that the 2004 Elise is going to be Toyota-powered. While the car will indeed be ultra-light, and therefore very chuck-able, I've never lusted after Toyota power. Wish they went with something else.

Quick Reply: Cross-post from 993 board: Made a tough decision ... check Rennlist classifieds