Sponsored by:

advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:49 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default advice on purchase

Hi guys, I just purchased another Porsche from The U.S., California to be exact. It's my first time buying out of country and I just have a few concerns. I bought the car sight unseen which I have no problem with. My only concern is that They haven't sent me the title on the car and said it could take up to two more week due to the dmv being backed up. I can't have the car shipped up till I produce the title at the border. Does this sound correct. Up here all you need is a bill of sale and the title(registration card) signed over and its all done on the spot between buyer and seller.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If the car is "clear" (no lien-holder), then the seller should have the title in his possession. If he lost it, he would need to get a copy from the DMV, but only an idiot would wait until the car was sold to start that process. If there is a loan, then the lien-holder needs to be paid, and needs to sign the title. I'm not sure why the DMV would get in the middle of that transaction.

Many years ago, I bought a Toyota pickup from a private party who "forgot" to bring the title with him. When he sent it to me, it disclosed that the truck was salvaged. Bummer.

I hope this is a legit deal for you, but I'd be a little worried. Sorry.

Quick Reply: advice on purchase