Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Value of resprayed car (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/1128475-value-of-resprayed-car.html)

dohc 02-10-2019 01:49 AM

Value of resprayed car

Hello guys !
I'd like to respray my 993tt in Viper Green with Ruf bumpers and wheels. Car is actually artic silver but paint isn't perfect. Would you rather buy a perfect resprayed tt in Viper Green or an original paint but not perfect tt ? Or respray the car in its original color ?

Thanks for your input 🙋🏻*♂️🐖
Dohc

marin77 02-10-2019 10:02 AM

If you are doing it for yourself and intend to keep the car long after, do whatever pleases you. If you think you may be reselling soon and/or want to think about the resale value, I would vote for the respray in original color and thorough documentation of the before / after.

Good luck with the decision.

joejenie 02-10-2019 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by marin77 (Post 15628535)
If you are doing it for yourself and intend to keep the car long after, do whatever pleases you. If you think you may be reselling soon and/or want to think about the resale value, I would vote for the respray in original color and thorough documentation of the before / after.

What he said. Now for selfish reasons, I want to see you spray it in viper.

Knight 02-10-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by marin77 (Post 15628535)

Well said!

racer959 02-10-2019 08:05 PM

Why not just rap it in viper green for now. This way if you get sick of looking at it, you can remove it.

DRPM 02-10-2019 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by racer959 (Post 15629816)
Why not just rap it in viper green for now. This way if you get sick of looking at it, you can remove it.

+1

dohc 02-10-2019 08:59 PM

Thanks guys. Still undecided but will probably keep its original color for the respray and might opt for the wrap. How is the finish compared to real paint ? I've been told it has more orange peel look ?

Mike J 02-12-2019 06:58 PM

I had a lot of rock chips and decided to respray/restore the entire car - glass out, everything apart - but choose to preserve the original color mostly based on retaining value and I liked the color anyways, I know it will impact the value of the car, but the chips were enough to justify the paint job. A good wrap is an option, but it's not cheap, so you need to keep your car for a bit for it to make sense, Their may still be some things they need to paint to make it prefect, like mirrors or bumpers. The wrap should be extend to all the sills etc, There used to be a lot of orange peel in the older wraps but they are getting much better, Another really quick way of changing a color is doing a plastidip - a bit cheaper looking perhaps.

Cheers'

Mike

Basal Skull 02-13-2019 05:42 PM

I've had clear bra (good protection and covers up some blemishes, but can lift clear coat if not careful when removing, especially non original paint), lots of plasti dip, and used some wrap (mainly cf wrap until I figured out I can actually make cf pieces), sub par paint jobs (not on the 993 but other cars). Although I like clean/nice paint job, it seems it's like fussing with milage, in that if you drive it, it will eventually get some chips, even with clear bra. After looking at a number of cars, I think some chips add character. I've stopped fussing about it, not going to keep my cars pristine - not sure why I need to, I have my cars to drive and enjoy, I'm not selling so not worried about resale. So have decided I'm keeping the original paint, accepting the chips/scratches as 'platina' and not going to worry about paint on any of my cars! :)

AC/911's 02-19-2019 12:23 AM

Paint It, I Did...... NO REGRETS https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...984267fab3.jpg

Car did have Body, & many other Mods, 89k miles.

golfnutintib 02-19-2019 01:18 AM

do what makes u happy

but respray in original color is best for value retention, if that is important to you

x98boardwell 02-20-2019 10:40 PM

Knowing these cars are already collector pieces and will continue to go up in value... at least at some point again if you think you will sell someday or originally bought the car "knowing you can get your money out of it or would make money some day" then I paint it arctic silver. Otherwise, everyones input is good advice... Whatever you do show us before and after, even if the same color.

One last thing, if it had 130k miles then I would say probably not as much of a concern but if low miles then even more reason to keep original color.

Best of luck!
Bryan

dohc 02-23-2019 08:33 PM

Thank you guys ! Will keep it original color.

Dohc :)