porsche 993 turbo engine bay airlow

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:38 AM
lakis1982
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche 993 turbo engine bay airlow

Hello,

I am building a karmann ghia with a type1 turbo injection engine. I'm planning to install an intercooler horizontally just below the rear bonnet fins , similar to how porsche 993 turbo has its intercooler installed.

I am trying to find out how is the air flow distributed in the engine bay of a 993 turbo..

1. Is there any installed intercooler fan?? From several pictures that I checked like the one below, i dont see any. Is it somewhere hidden under the intercooler ?

2. In 993 turbo the air enter through the fins and come directly in contact with the intercooler .. But then, where is that hot air under the intercooler go ??

Please enlighten me so that i can have a better understanding..

THanks a lot
Old 11-09-2018, 09:50 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vacuumed out by the large cooling fan, blown across the cylinders and out the bottom.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

^ what he said

My old thread on diy intercooler, pics might help.
Tacker I think put electric fans on his diy intercooler (much more professional than what I made) should be able to search the forum for his thread too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM
lakis1982
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said that the air is vacuumed through the big central cooling fan..but isn't that causing the hot radiated air of the intercooler to be sent to the cylinders and therefore increase their temperatures?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:34 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lakis1982
You said that the air is vacuumed through the big central cooling fan..but isn't that causing the hot radiated air of the intercooler to be sent to the cylinders and therefore increase their temperatures?
The cooling fan pulls cool air, and forces it over engine/through cylinders, and out. The ambient outside air is forced through top of intercooler. It’s not as though there’s a huge amount of forced air through intercooler, just enough to try and lower charged air temps, below the increase during pressurization.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree the air temps do increase to cool the intercooler, and are higher than ambient temps when passing by the cylinders (that's what you're concerned about Lakis?). I've done a lot of data logging (you can search for more 'intercooler' threads), and the charge air temps stay within about 20 degrees C of ambient temps. Although I haven't logged air temps going over the cylinder heads, I would guess the temps would only be 10 degrees (certainly less than 20) above ambient. Since cylinder head temps run 150-200 degrees celsius (380 or so degrees F), there's enough delta between the air temp of air passing by the cylinders and cylinder head, and enough volume of air that the 10 (20 max) degree increase over ambient, doesn't make a difference.

Quick Reply: porsche 993 turbo engine bay airlow