Sponsored by:

Buyers beware of this Yellow 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:56 PM
camdon
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buyers beware of this Yellow 993TT

Bought (so I thought) this car on ebay last week after agreeing on 120k price. Seller asked for a bank check and gave me his name for it. I sent a copy of it to him. Then he says wire transfer only. I then agreed to that. Set up shipping. Then my driver is ready to leave on the 3 day round trip journey and I see it relisted on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Porsch...pabOc6&vxp=mtr

Still in the market for the right 993TT I guess.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

says relisted due to lack of funds on the buyer
Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 PM
camdon
Racer

Glad another member here has more faith in an e bay seller. Did you think to check my 100% e bay rating???

LOL

Will gladly post a picture of the bank check if Moderators say its ok.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Pretty sure I've seen this listed on RL too, I'd do a search here as well.

Def seems very odd.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by camdon
Bought (so I thought) this car on ebay last week after agreeing on 120k price. Seller asked for a bank check and gave me his name for it. I sent a copy of it to him. Then he says wire transfer only. I then agreed to that. Set up shipping. Then my driver is ready to leave on the 3 day round trip journey and I see it relisted on ebay.
No affiliation to seller, but . . . .

Realistically, you haven't bought anything until you hand him a real check, not a copy. All you had was an agreement as to purchase price. What good is a copy of a bank check? It looks like he waited three days for you to pay for it and without payment, relisted.
BTW, $120k looks like a great deal for that car. I've not seen many SY tt's. It will probably be tough to do since you have already left him negative feedback, but if I were you I'd try to resurrect that deal.

Regards and wishing good luck . . .

Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 AM
camdon
Racer

So......3 days he waited. We had made arrangements for this Monday pick up. I set up transportation. Got the check HE REQUESTED in the name HE GAVE ME on it.

you guys are unreal on here. Should have known better.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:52 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

I would not deliver a car and the title unless I was paid in full and the check cleared. That goes for any type of check.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:22 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

So......3 days he waited. We had made arrangements for this Monday pick up. I set up transportation. Got the check HE REQUESTED in the name HE GAVE ME on it.

I bought my 911 Pcars from RL members when it was a close knit community; not sure I woyld do the same now. The steps went like this.

1. PM asked for paypal account and deposit(refundable or not) amount required to hold the car for PPI
2. PPI with the caveat that I am buying an used car and there are normal wear and tear items.
3. Wire money after PPI report sight unseen.
4. Arrange to pick up car.

I would not entertain any copies of checks from a seller's position. Don't want it and you would be ignored. No way would I buy cars from a non established member and you just have to show the first sign of faith as a new buyer and member into this community.

Otherwise, offer an escrow service at your expense to protect your transaction. This is a rare car. I have only seen 3 yellow TTs FS over the past 10 years. Sellers market.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Turbopun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you think to check my 100% e bay rating???
Geez dude... somebody must have eaten a big bowl of entitlement this morning.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:00 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

1st: Cashiers checks are almost Never used, Unless you both had same bank, Managers involved etc, Verification Cleared.

2nd: Wire is Easy & Fast, Of Course Notarized BOS , Trust, 3dr Party, PPI, Proof, License, Name on Title, scams are out there...

3rd: Nobody will Let a Car go without FULLY Cleared check with Funds Available in Account.

Ya, some members jump at a chance to bash, But you may not have gone about the right way, Also $120k not the Deal of the year, IMO.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 290 Posts

Camdon, it's easy to be a cynic out here. There's obviously more to this story and it's hard to really know the truth without knowing the you or the seller. Making a comment about a potential seller - saying "beware" with very little info is going to fuel follow on comments like these. As someone who buys and sells a lot of stuff on ebay, ( never a car- but quite a few very expensive guitars), I don't give a buyer any room for negotiation once the "sold" button is pushed. I have heard every story in the book and not that there's a story here, I just don't tolerate it as a seller or buyer on ebay- and I have a perfect rating on ebay. Once agreed, do the deal as stated. Maybe that was the case, but like I said- not a lot to go on, so try not to be too upset with the comments you're getting.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

I don't see anything here that warrants a universal buyer beware notification.
seems more like a dispute between potential buyer and the seller.
but as always, I'm sure there is more to the story.

OP good luck finding the right car.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:28 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad another member here has more faith in an e bay seller. Did you think to check my 100% e bay rating???

LOL

Will gladly post a picture of the bank check if Moderators say its ok.
has nothing to do with faith in either the buyer or the seller. simply stating what the ebay ad says. thats the sellers reason not my opinion

Quick Reply: Buyers beware of this Yellow 993TT