Sponsored by:

update CCM rotors and sintered metal pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default update CCM rotors and sintered metal pads

Hadn't done much with the 993 TT recently, been busy dong the timing belt/water pump on both the 928 and NSX (both turned out ok! they both seem to run afterwards with no leaks ).
Finally got around to getting the turbo on the lift so thought I'd share some pics. Just put on the sintered all metal brake pads. The front rotors are no longer smooth. The areas where the CF weave comes to the surface of the rotor, it's like the CF weave wears or is lost, so that a slight depression occurs where the CF comes to the surface. When I run my fingers on it, the edges of where the weave comes to the surface is sharp/rough. The rear rotors are completely smooth, like new. The sintered pads are supposed to leave/fill in the depressions and restore a smooth surface, and improve pad life. I had noticed that I was getting more brake dust recently. The pads have a copper coloured backing plate, looks quite pretty actually. Will have to wait to see how they work, and have to wait til spring to be able to give review of how they do on the track. They are supposed to need the higher temps from track use to get the healing effect, so will have to wait for that too. Anyhoo here are some pics.

front

front

rear

front

rear
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Subscribed for progress report.

Sharing with you is a recent inspection on a Camaro Z28 NASA race car we recently inspected (re-posting from Viper forum)

RB Sintered Brake Pads for Carbon Ceramic Rotor

Originally Posted by BlueAdder
That's interesting.

Personally I like the OEM (Brembo) CCM rotors/pad combo so my question is: Would it be OK to switch to the sintered pads for say, 2 track days, repair the rotors at the same time and switch back to the Brembo pads?
I'm assuming that the Sintered pads are cheaper than the Brembo ones (not too hard considering the $670 price tag) but are they as effective?
Stage of CCM rotor restoration process:
#1 Original set up (OE caliper, pad, and rotor)

#2 After switching to sintered pads (OE caliper)

#3 Replacing OE caliper to RB (sintered pad)

Two weeks ago Russ's Z28 brake system was sent back to us for check up and maintenance. We notice the front rotor was pitted and before asking Russ admitted he had to replace the front pad to OE/Brembo (for the last racing at North Cal), here are the pictures of his rear rotor. Basically the OE semi-metallic pads worn off all the metallic deposit on rotor surface and the rotor was back to the original condition (see pic# 1).

Rotor at this condition can chew up any pads MUCH faster than normal use, although the rotor thickness was checked and found to be almost no wear & within spec.

We advised him of no discs replacement is needed however he will consumer more pad wear during the pad breaking-in and layer transfer process.

Hope above self-explanatory facts can answer to your questions whether you shall use OE pads or alternative such as sintered pads exclusively developed for CCM rotors.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:24 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ayousef
so guys, aside from longer life and the ability to repair worn CCB rotors, will the sintered pads provide more stopping power?
You bet.

Not only the coefficient of friction (COF) is higher (0.6 - 0.65) than conventional semi-metallic pad (0.5), but its COF is FAR more consistent (more stable in brake torque) during the entire operating temperature cycle.

Why this is possible?

Because RacingBrake sintered pad is made of 100% metallic powder and formed under extreme high temperature and pressure, unlike semi-metallic which the friction compounds are held together by resin that tends to get soft, or melt under elevated braking temperature, that's when the pad lose its COF and quicken the wear.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:54 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

While waiting for the sintered pad application update, we have received several inquiries on the kit, so here is the fitment guide for this 993 CCM brake kit:
Porsche brake components/system replacement/upgrade are precisely engineered and exclusively developed by RacingBrake (RB).

Link to the CCB kit: http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...ccb-por-04.htm

Illustration:

Quick Reply: update CCM rotors and sintered metal pads