993 Forum 1995-1998

Bischoff or Gillet

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bischoff or Gillet

I'd like to order some Fister exhaust, but need to know if the flanges are Bischoff or Gillet. Can anyone tell by the photo below?
http://imgur.com/a/CmzAt

Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Check out

.....check out this pic.

Generally, the Bischoff flanges are found on 1994, 1995 and early 1996 993 cars. I have a 1997 with a Gillet system, and use a Bischoff muffler....something about brass rings and clamps that are needed to make this adoption....I forgot the details.

From a Rennlist search, "I am not sure about the tips but if you look under the car you can see what kind of muffler it is. It will be stamped on the muffler which one it is. You will not need to jack the car up to do this. Hope this helps."...."the round/ oval difference refers to the flange between the heat exchager/header and the cat. converter inlet."
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2017, 02:52 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Send your mufflers

just send your current mufflers to Fister for conversion.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

What year is your car?
As Martin said, you can use either interchangeably. For Bischoff HE, you can use Gillett mufflers without needing sealing rings. For Gillet HE, you can use Bischoff mufflers by adding sealing rings to the muffler tips.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
What year is your car?
As Martin said, you can use either interchangeably. For Bischoff HE, you can use Gillett mufflers without needing sealing rings. For Gillet HE, you can use Bischoff mufflers by adding sealing rings to the muffler tips.
^^^ This.

Martin and P-daddy know their stuff. If you're just swapping mufflers, don't worry about it. Both types of mufflers will bolt right up to the cat.

Worst case, you'll need to get some sealing rings (doughnuts) to attach your tips to the mufflers.

Check out this post by Mr. Fister himself and all will be clear.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 PM
Sambof
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to help you out, here's a couple of Pics. I have this spare set that came with my car, and am still trying work out what they are - they started life as Bischoff and then according to the previous owner were opened up and bored out / the internals removed. He mentioned a firm in Germany that did it but I cant for the life of me remember

You can see where it was opened up and re welded - of you want to know which muffler just look at the manufacturer name near the short inlet/outlet

Old 07-16-2017, 02:49 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Gentlemen!

Quick Reply: Bischoff or Gillet