993 Forum 1995-1998

Cup Steering wheel with 964 column covers - Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:41 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cup Steering wheel with 964 column covers - Issue

I just installed the Porsche (Momo) Cup steering wheel and the 964 column covers (for a cleaner look). The hub of the steering wheel is rubbing the column covers, to the point it does feel like the steering wheel returns to center as easily as it did with the stock airbag wheel. Has anyone run into this issue before? Any solutions before I break out a dremel?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pics?

Hey Mike, can you post some pictures? I love the look with that wheel.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

here' mine
Old 06-26-2017, 10:01 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The dremel is the solution to enlarge the cutout for the column slightly.

Originally Posted by ekimerpud
I just installed the Porsche (Momo) Cup steering wheel and the 964 column covers (for a cleaner look). The hub of the steering wheel is rubbing the column covers, to the point it does feel like the steering wheel returns to center as easily as it did with the stock airbag wheel. Has anyone run into this issue before? Any solutions before I break out a dremel?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

There is a nut which holds the whole column assembly (stalks, column cover, etc) to the steering column. If you loosen this nut, you can slide the entire assembly up or down the column. It allows for about an inch of travel.

You can loosen the nut, slide the assembly slightly down (towards the dash, away from the back of the steering wheel), and stop the rubbing. Just make sure that when you do so, you don't move it so far as to lose the horn contact from the steering wheel hub.

You may even be able to reach the nut with the cover still in place (you can do so with the 993 version of the cover). If I recall correctly, it's a 9mm(?) nut.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
There is a nut which holds the whole column assembly (stalks, column cover, etc) to the steering column. If you loosen this nut, you can slide the entire assembly up or down the column. It allows for about an inch of travel.

You can loosen the nut, slide the assembly slightly down (towards the dash, away from the back of the steering wheel), and stop the rubbing. Just make sure that when you do so, you don't move it so far as to lose the horn contact from the steering wheel hub.

You may even be able to reach the nut with the cover still in place (you can do so with the 993 version of the cover). If I recall correctly, it's a 9mm(?) nut.
It is already adjusted as far away as possible. The backside of the covers are hitting the dash. I'm debating dremeling off material from the rear of the cover vs opening up the hole of the covers in the front to solve the issue.

Quick Reply: Cup Steering wheel with 964 column covers - Issue