993 Forum 1995-1998

OEM Porsche vs Sachs Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 08:18 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default OEM Porsche vs Sachs Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch Kit

Is there a difference between piecing together a lightweight flywheel/clutch kit using OEM Porsche RS parts and the Sachs Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch Kit? Would always prefer OEM but the difference in price is substantial. When do you guys suggest? Are the parts the same just without porsche branding?
Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe Sachs is the OEM supplier for Porsche. It's the same part, with a p-car part number.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:02 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

You like Porsche boxes?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I may be wrong, but I believe Sachs is the OEM supplier for Porsche. It's the same part, with a p-car part number.
Yes, Sachs is def the supplier of the Porsche parts. I found an old post stating that the Porsche clutch disc was measuring thicker then the Sachs equivalent...like Porsche made some modifications that were unique to their own part. This seems unlikely though.

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
You like Porsche boxes?
Haha. Who doesn't? But they certainly aren't work $1200
Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Yes, Sachs is def the supplier of the Porsche parts. I found an old post stating that the Porsche clutch disc was measuring thicker then the Sachs equivalent...like Porsche made some modifications that were unique to their own part. This seems unlikely though.

Haha. Who doesn't? But they certainly aren't work $1200
I don't know why you say that seems unlikely; since an OEM will do just that.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The Sachs RS clutch kit that most aftermarket Porsche suppliers/Rennlist sponsors sell that is "compatible" with the 993 uses the stock 964 pressure plate (blue dot). If you buy the pieces separately from Sachs you can buy the 993 pressure plate which has a greater clamping strength and as such will last longer. You have to download both Sachs catalogs to figure this out... I couldn't say whether or not the OE and OEM discs are still a different thickness, they were 10+ years ago. Somebody recently measured an OEM disc and posted but they didn't take into account that there are springs between the two discs which make it appear thicker. Nowadays the price spread between OE and OEM is just too large to ignore. The only thing I would be careful about is that Sachs (boxed as LUK and a few other companies, etc.) pressure plates from Rockauto have been turned on a lathe. Which would point to a remanufactured plate (and all the flange corrosion makes you wonder too) even though they are shipping with the regular part numbers and not the R number.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:52 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The Sachs RS clutch kit that most aftermarket Porsche suppliers/Rennlist sponsors sell that is "compatible" with the 993 uses the stock 964 pressure plate (blue dot). If you buy the pieces separately from Sachs you can buy the 993 pressure plate which has a greater clamping strength and as such will last longer. You have to download both Sachs catalogs to figure this out... I couldn't say whether or not the OE and OEM discs are still a different thickness, they were 10+ years ago. Somebody recently measured an OEM disc and posted but they didn't take into account that there are springs between the two discs which make it appear thicker. Nowadays the price spread between OE and OEM is just too large to ignore. The only thing I would be careful about is that Sachs (boxed as LUK and a few other companies, etc.) pressure plates from Rockauto have been turned on a lathe. Which would point to a remanufactured plate (and all the flange corrosion makes you wonder too) even though they are shipping with the regular part numbers and not the R number.

This!!!!^^^^^^^
I went with the "764" PP, and 997GT34.0 disc, both "Sachs" motorsports parts.

Quick Reply: OEM Porsche vs Sachs Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch Kit