Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

TPC Supercharger and LW RS Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to change the subject too much ... those of you who have the SC installed, how does it change the sound of the engine? I would expect a bit of whine but I hope it's not too much as I really love the sound of my engine right now with modified cans (much like a Fister mod).

I hope someone can comment on that. Perhaps even upload a sound byte for us to listen to.

I also have the RS LWFW, which I really like a lot - a bit of noise under 2K rpms, but the trade-off with feel and spin-up is much worth it if you ask me.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM
joe original@flash.net
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an sc on my 96 and the sc wine is quite loud .
The great exhaust sound is drowned out by the sc.
Hope this helps . But the trade for power is worth the trade IMO
Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joe [email
original@flash.net[/email];14265615]I have an sc on my 96 and the sc wine is quite loud .
The great exhaust sound is drowned out by the sc.
Hope this helps . But the trade for power is worth the trade IMO
Darn. That's what I was afraid of. Which SC / kit do you have? I think the TPC kit comes with a Eaton, positive displacement supercharger.

Marc
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
joe original@flash.net
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, I have a tpc , with a custom intercooler, and a Stand alone
Ecu. Hope this helps ?
Joe
Old 06-19-2017, 05:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I have a 96 993 and installed a LWFW a few years ago. I had absolutely no stalling issues.

since then I have put RS cams in and had stalling/idle issues fixed by putting in a 97 ECU with RS map done by none other than Mr. Steve Weiner. Motor work was done at Rstrada.

96 pretty much requires a 97 ECU to do reflash. There are daughter board solutions, but are highly unreliable and not recommended. Good luck finding a 97 ECU, they are NLA from Porsche.

Needless to say, I am a very happy customer of both and recommend those mods highly. Only thing left would be a re-gear, but we all know that won't be cheap.
I can't imagine any of the work performed in the bold text being very cheap either...Maybe a little less than half the price of a regear, excluding a Guard or PMS LSD.

Just thinking out loud here...
A supercharger correctly installed, may very well mitigate the feeling that re-gear is necessary, and it too is significantly less than the re-gear. An SC will also provide a much more significant, useable, boost in power than that realized from RS cams, a 97 ECU, and a remap. (@ about $5k +).
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I can't imagine any of the work performed in the bold text being very cheap either...Maybe a little less than half the price of a regear, excluding a Guard or PMS LSD.

Just thinking out loud here...
A supercharger correctly installed, may very well mitigate the feeling that re-gear is necessary, and it too is significantly less than the re-gear. An SC will also provide a much more significant, useable, boost in power than that realized from RS cams, a 97 ECU, and a remap. (@ about $5k +).
Paul, you are absolutely correct, it wasn't cheap, but new cams were needed in any event (long story), as part of a top end rebuild. so it became a case of taking care of things while we were in there. my going in plan was to basically keep it stock, but circumstances dictated a slight deviation from that plan.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Paul, you are absolutely correct, it wasn't cheap, but new cams were needed in any event (long story), as part of a top end rebuild. so it became a case of taking care of things while we were in there. my going in plan was to basically keep it stock, but circumstances dictated a slight deviation from that plan.
Keith,
So often "slight deviations" can become a real monetary PITA. The important part is it your car is all good again, and maybe I'll be able to actually see it at the next Pelican C&C.

In all the times I've seen you, I've never actually seen your car.

Happy to hear you're all together again!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

How much power does the SC add? And where in the power curve do you really notice the effect or is it all the way through?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 PM
ekimerpud
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock61
I had the TPC Supercharger installed by TPC on my '95 993 3 years ago (7th injector and no intercooler). I had some hesitation and engine check light issues at first, particularly in warmer weather. I sent the Unichip back to TPC; they changed something in the programming which helped with engine check lights, but did not solve the hesitation problem in warmer weather. Earlier this year I had the TPC ntercooler system installed by a local wrench; it made a HUGE difference. No more hesitation, and a nice bump up in power. The setup now works very well; I would not recommend in my experience installing the kit without the intercooler.
Can you elaborate on the 'hesitation'? I'm in Texas and haven't installed the kit yet. I was hoping I could get away without the intercooler for awhile.

Mike
Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
How much power does the SC add? And where in the power curve do you really notice the effect or is it all the way through?
There are dyno plots on the company's website. Hopefully there are real owner plots floating around also

http://www.tpcracing.com/porsche-964...arger-kit.html
Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
you can search and there are some dyno sheets in this 993 forums. The power is everywhere and most noticeable in the midrange. Very strong from 2500 up. Tails off toward redline. No 'hit' like the older turbos so if you are looking for that feel its not going to be that.
but a huge push throughout and comparing to a friends near idential but stock 98 993 its trulyimpressive. I saw 100hp rear wheel increase using same dyno before and after the install and only other change being fabspeed xpipe no cat for the stock cat (oem mufflers).
Completely modernized the cars power performance at least.

If anyone near MN, i am happy to show you

b
Old 06-20-2017, 04:04 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ekimerpud
Can you elaborate on the 'hesitation'? I'm in Texas and haven't installed the kit yet. I was hoping I could get away without the intercooler for awhile.

Mike
When the ambient air temperature was fairly cool, everything worked fine. Once the air temperature got a bit warmer (above 75 or so), pressing in the gas often resulted in the engine 'hesitating' to give power. I had to give it a lot more gas before the engine gave power, and even then it seemed substantially less that when the air temperature was cooler. The intercooler seems to add quite a bit more power, even at moderate temperatures. I was also hoping to get away without the interecooler, but that did not turn out that well. In my opinion, I would bite the bullet and install it from the get-go, especially since you live in a warm climate.

YMMV of course!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock61
When the ambient air temperature was fairly cool, everything worked fine. Once the air temperature got a bit warmer (above 75 or so), pressing in the gas often resulted in the engine 'hesitating' to give power. I had to give it a lot more gas before the engine gave power, and even then it seemed substantially less that when the air temperature was cooler. The intercooler seems to add quite a bit more power, even at moderate temperatures. I was also hoping to get away without the interecooler, but that did not turn out that well. In my opinion, I would bite the bullet and install it from the get-go, especially since you live in a warm climate.

YMMV of course!
Coming from the turbo world, it sounds like maybe your ECU was pulling some timing due to either IAT or knock readings because the charge air was too warm, causing hesitation? Either way, an IC in forced induction applications is so much safer for a lot of reasons.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:42 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
Coming from the turbo world, it sounds like maybe your ECU was pulling some timing due to either IAT or knock readings because the charge air was too warm, causing hesitation? Either way, an IC in forced induction applications is so much safer for a lot of reasons.
Oh yeah, that hesitation is BAD BAD BAD. Basically, the engine is knocking and the ECU is pulling timing to prevent/minimize the damage. This problem is even worse with a SC because all the boost hits at once.

But there are steps you can take to prevent this problem. Set a conservative timing map. Run it a wee bit rich. Inject small amount of water/meth to cool the air. And there is a ramp function in the TPC Unichip software to reduce timing in the event you smash the throttle to sort of 'ease' you engine into the boost.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axl911
Oh yeah, that hesitation is BAD BAD BAD. Basically, the engine is knocking and the ECU is pulling timing to prevent/minimize the damage. This problem is even worse with a SC because all the boost hits at once.

But there are steps you can take to prevent this problem. Set a conservative timing map. Run it a wee bit rich. Inject small amount of water/meth to cool the air. And there is a ramp function in the TPC Unichip software to reduce timing in the event you smash the throttle to sort of 'ease' you engine into the boost.
TPC did change the mapping to run it a bit richer; that helped but did not solve the problem. The problem was only solved in my case after the IC was installed.

Quick Reply: TPC Supercharger and LW RS Flywheel