993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior lights and luggage compartment light not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM
bodmin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior lights and luggage compartment light not working

I'm looking for some advice regarding my interior and luggage compartment lights not working.

I've checked what I think is the correct fuse and it's ok. I can't believe all three bulbs have blown.

Is there something else which is common to these three lights which could explain why none of them work?

Engine compartment light, ashtray light, and glove compartment light all working ok.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking before I start breaking things. I've checked the Bentleys circuit diagram, but totally confused by it!

1996 C2 Coupe.

Many thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 11:09 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked the door switch contact? It tends to get stuck after years of service.

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, hardback sport seats, leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:57 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Does your locking system work properly? When I got my car, the locking system wasn't working, and none of the courtesy lights came on either. After replacing my Alarm Control Unit (with a used one), everything worked.

Edit: As Tore says below, check the ACU fuse.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:01 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

The door lock/alarm control unit controls the se lights. It also has a fuse, and it's placed under the passenger seat.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 05-29-2017, 01:42 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bodmin
I'm looking for some advice regarding my interior and luggage compartment lights not working.

I've checked what I think is the correct fuse and it's ok. I can't believe all three bulbs have blown.

Is there something else which is common to these three lights which could explain why none of them work?

Engine compartment light, ashtray light, and glove compartment light all working ok.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking before I start breaking things. I've checked the Bentleys circuit diagram, but totally confused by it!

1996 C2 Coupe.

Many thanks
All the lights in the bold text above are on the same circuit, along with those that are not working.

I know it sounds crazy , but this leads me to believe your bulbs may have blown.

First, check your rocker switch to make sure it's in the correct position to actuate the lights when the doors open. If this doesn't work, why not try a known-working bulb, of the same size and amperage, in one of the non-working sockets to see the results.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 PM
bodmin
Track Day

Problem solved and feeling like a complete twit. 3 blown bulbs! All replaced now and working fine. Those interior lights were a sod to remove.

I don't think they have worked since I bought the car, and I only just noticed yesterday.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out.

Tore - that was me that sent you an enquiry for a remote locking system a few days ago. Thanks for the reply - I await you having them back in stock.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:14 PM
bodmin
Track Day

Originally Posted by nine9six
I know it sounds crazy , but this leads me to believe your bulbs may have blown.
You sir are a genius!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:22 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bodmin
You sir are a genius!
Tore, yes; me not so much...LMAO!

Tore is one of the great resources on this forum!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:57 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six

Tore is one of the great resources on this forum!
I totally concur!
Old 10-11-2021, 06:57 PM
Buckeye1
1st Gear

My 1986 911 Carrera has a similar issue- the interior (dome) light and the glove box light both work with the 3 position switch in the "On" mode, but will not come on in the "auto" (door open or glove box open) mode. The 3 door activated plungers appear to be working ( I haven't removed and checked them). Any suggestions?
Thank you

Quick Reply: Interior lights and luggage compartment light not working