Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions: Has anyone powder-coated or chromed alternator fan????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Need opinions: Has anyone powder-coated or chromed alternator fan????

If so, please post pictures of it.

I am having my brakes powder-coated red on my Guards Red 993 cab next week. Since the car will not be movable and the brakes are getting the treatment, I thought about having something done to the fan as well.

My alternator fan's paint is chipped all over the damn place and it does not look very good. Should I chrome it or paint it red or something else?? I am open to ideas.

Also, has anyone had the outer cover (shroud??)around the fan painted? I thought that might look cool too. I remember the old days when I used to look around the cover of the fan on my 1981 911Sc and you could see the red paint on the piece connected behind it. Memories, LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!

Thanks
Robert in Nashville
Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I did mine in Red on my 3.8, looked sweet. Sold motor when I put in TT or I would send You a pic. No wear problems at all and always cleaned up very easily.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:31 PM
neunelf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic came up recently on the 964 board.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ed+fan+balance

You can also check out this thread; it has some good red on red pics.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=powder+fan
Old 11-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks good in red. Not much chrome anywhere, so it might look out of place. Do it and post the pics. I would like to see what is involved in the process.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, good posts and the links were very useful. I am leaning towards either painting it red, or having it polished and then clear coated so it would keep that polished aluminum look. I used to polish the fan on my old 81 911Sc and it would look good for about a month and then get dull again due to dirt, time, etc...

Anyway, I'll post pics if I ever figure out how to post a dang picture...

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randy,
Sorry!! I didn't mean chrome, that would be boy racer! AHHHHHH!

I meant polished aluminumumumumum.

Robert
Old 11-18-2003, 11:04 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Robert,
I have a 96 guards red and was going back and forth on whether I should powder coat my calipers. I was thinking about Big Reds but would put a suspension upgrade higher on the $$$ list. I plan on garaging my car next month so it might be a nice winter project. I have seen Robins DIY and would be curious to see how yours turn out. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:38 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Robert,

This company has an exchange for the fan and housing. I have not dealt with them, so cannot tell you good or bad.

http://www.eagleday.com/fahopoco.html
Old 11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey tsjoel,
Yeah, I actually got the idea from Robin as I have seen his painted brakes in person and they look fantastic. I have already purchased the stencils from the guy he recommends on his website under the DIY section.

As far as the suspension upgrade vs. big reds - here's my opinion: My mechanic said that unless I road race or autocross every weekend that I will never use the stopping power of the big reds, and that Porsche put damn fine brakes on the stock 993. Since I agree with him, I decided to take that money and put it into a suspension upgrade. (Not to mention the fact that I have the original shocks on the car with 38,000 miles and 7 years of age on them. It is well documented on this board that I am probably riding on the springs by this point!!!!).

Again, being the occasional autocrosser (less than 3-5 per year, none this year due to kids) I don't need pss-9's, so I got the H&R lowering springs matched up with the Bilstein HD's , and the larger sway bars for the Turbo from Gert's site. (Despite having some shipping issues with him, I still think he is a great guy and would buy from him again because he does give Rennlisters great prices and backs up his products).

So, since I am already putting on an entirely new suspension, the brakes are sitting right there in front of you. So I figured "What the Hell?!?" and decided to go ahead and powder coat them now since they're off the car anyway. All it will add to the cost of the suspension job is the labor for powder coating which is around $250-300. So I can basically get a whole new suspension and red brake calipers for less than the cost of a big red brake kit.

Anyway, that's the decision I made and I feel it suits my needs very well. Good luck to you and whatever you decide.

Robert
Old 11-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,
That's a cool site, but damn they're proud of it!!! The guy doing the powder coating for my brakes said he would do my fan for an extra $35, and I can probably get him to throw in the fan housing for another 35.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Robert
Old 11-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone ever seen a fan that has been polished and clearcoated?? Would the clearcoat last? Just curious, because polished would really stand out.

Robert
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Robert,

You're welcome. You may want to have the fan anodized a matte aluminum (natural) color. That way you don't have to worry about a clear coat on a moving part subject to abrasion. I don't think you'll be happy with how it holds up.

Check with your local sources. If not, one of our customers does this and I can contact them for you. They did my lugs nuts over last year. They did them again in black for me because they were a little beat up. Look perfect now. Cost me a bottle of Pinot Noir (the good stuff).
Old 11-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is anodizing??

Can you anodize in a polished finish, or is it a painted finish?

Robert
Old 11-18-2003, 05:31 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Robert,

Are the fan and housing aluminum? I assumed that they are.

See this sight:

http://www.anodizing.org/what_is_anodizing.html
Old 11-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

I am pretty sure the fan housing is aluminum, but the fan blades I believe are magnesium. That's why I didn't bother with doing anything with them.

Quick Reply: Need opinions: Has anyone powder-coated or chromed alternator fan????