Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

All the stolen 993s in Los Angeles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts
Default All the stolen 993s in Los Angeles?

A few Years ago a lot of 993s were stolen in L.A., were any of them ever found or any parts from the cars found?
Any theories about what happened with them? Broken up for parts? Exported?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:56 AM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Randall "Memphis" Raines long ago abandoned his life of crime, but after an ominous visit from an old friend, he finds he has no choice but to return to what he does best -- stealing cars -- in order to save his brother's life. It all comes down to one night, 50 cars and a contract.

Since he met the quota, the rash of Porsche thefts have died down.
The following 2 users liked this post by makemann:
Throttle Lift (07-01-2019), Trapperbay (06-29-2019)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:14 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Two options:

- Loaded on a container and sent on a boat ride to a country whose tax laws penalize the legal import of high end cars while having a black market enabled by weak or corrupt rule of law (Africa?).

- Chopped up for parts. I've always found it an interesting coincidence that the largest and best known internet car part (dismantler) happens to be located in the exact same city. Not accusing, just observing.

/
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by makemann
Randall "Memphis" Raines long ago abandoned his life of crime, but after an ominous visit from an old friend, he finds he has no choice but to return to what he does best -- stealing cars -- in order to save his brother's life. It all comes down to one night, 50 cars and a contract.
Epic!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:51 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Donnie, Low Rider please."
Old 05-23-2017, 04:25 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sadly, the saga continues. Hopefully Beverly Hills Porsche has corrected their employment and terminated those who coincidentally worked on an Air cooled Porsche that was then coincidentally stolen right after it was serviced, with a coincidentally extra set of keys, and a coincidental copy of the registration with the home address where the car lives, and a coincidentally cloned garage door opener.

Aside from that, they are being stolen just as much now as ever. Last week a friend with a 82 targa had the targa roof and gauges stripped. The car would have been stolen, had the owner's other car not been parked behind it. With the parts being so expensive now (new targa top is $15,000), there are a lot of mechanics and ex mechanics who know what to look for and how to get it done. Be careful
Old 05-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lo-Jack....they are still around and I have a brand new model installed in mine with a 8 year battery.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:24 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
Lo-Jack....they are still around and I have a brand new model installed in mine with a 8 year battery.
Some other measures you can take have been discussed in my thread here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ng-my-car.html
Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Death by inuendo

We read, ".....I've always found it an interesting coincidence that the largest and best known internet car part (dismantler) happens to be located in the exact same city. Not accusing, just observing."

It won't take long for most of us to figure out who you are referring to, a Sunland, CA business. It doesn't seem equitable or fair to imply they deal in stolen merchandise. Oh well, it's the internet, and it's apparently OK to libel a business with no hesitation.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
We read, ".....I've always found it an interesting coincidence that the largest and best known internet car part (dismantler) happens to be located in the exact same city. Not accusing, just observing."

It won't take long for most of us to figure out who you are referring to, a Sunland, CA business. It doesn't seem equitable or fair to imply they deal in stolen merchandise. Oh well, it's the internet, and it's apparently OK to libel a business with no hesitation.
I was thinking the same thing, but Martin said it first.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

LAPD may try and rip-off their customers with outrageously high prices (and horror stories about their sloppy shipping) but that hardly qualifies them as thieves. Mostly anyway
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Stolen goods show up in pawn shops across the country all the time even though most try hard to prevent it.

I also have no doubt that stolen car parts have appeared from time to time on national on-line auction sites too.

Let's not be naive.

/
Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Naivete is hardly the issue. It is patently wrong to imply what you implied, and serves absolutely no service to RL.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteCab
Naivete is hardly the issue. It is patently wrong to imply what you implied, and serves absolutely no service to RL.
Hear, hear. I'm mostly fake offended as well although I have no idea why.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Disraeli
Hear, hear. I'm mostly fake offended as well although I have no idea why.
Yep - My comments were absolutely wrong.

I wanted to comment about a massive problem in the marketplace generally and I missed the mark.

/

Quick Reply: All the stolen 993s in Los Angeles?