993 Forum 1995-1998

How do you like your 993 Tip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:51 PM
char911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your 993 Tip?

I am on the verge of buying a 993 tip and reading through many threads it seems to be less reliable than a manual. Not sure if this is true or the issues are more visible because owners bring them up here more often than the ones really enjoy it. And a close friend of mine is really against a tip. For my criteria, I have to get a tip so it's a matter of buying a 993 tip or just move on to another car.

Can you share your experience?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:20 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Mechanically, tip is almost bulletproof. Almost nobody knows how to fix them because they rarely break. Suggest you try driving one, it is not for everyone. I love mine and would not switch. I always shift mine manually with the shifter as I find the rockers are a nuisance.
Cheers.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allan H is correct; the Tiptronic is extremely reliable and to drive it in manual.

The only issue I'm aware of is you don't want to rev the engine with the transmission in Park or Neutral. Rennlister GeoLab reported this some time ago, so maybe he will weigh in on the topic.

There is a very vocal anti-tip faction on the 993 board. It's almost as if you can't be an enthusiast of the marque if you aren't willing to row through the gears. I've not seen this on other models of the same brand, so it seems to be unique to those who share your passion for the 993.

Sure it would be great if the Tiptronic had an extra gear or two, but I thoroughly enjoy driving mine as it is - regardless of what others may say or think.

Some of us have physical limitations that preclude us from driving a standard. Does that mean we can't enjoy our cars or be ostracized if we do? Drive what you like and like what you drive.

You'll pay a little less for a Tip car, and get less for it when it's time to sell.

Best of luck in your search for the car that's right for YOU!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Chi_Bears
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my tip around a year now, so no long term durability experience. I wanted a tip and have not been disappointed. When I researched them, I didn't find a lot of negative/repair issues. Drivability wise they are fine. My only complaint is too early up shifts. If you shift it manually, then this is a non issue.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I like my 993 Tip. It's an incredibly reliable transmission. I've owned my 993S Tip for 17 years and 43,000+ miles with absolutely no issues or problems. I even tracked mine a couple of times and the trans is fine. It would have been nice if Porsche had made it a 5 speed like in the 996 instead of just 4 speeds, but driving it in "manual" mode helps. If you drive it in auto mode it feels quite sluggish.

Drive one and see how you like it. but be prepared for it to not be quite as quick as a manual 993 (but a Tip is much more enjoyable to drive when stuck in traffic).

Last edited by David993S; 05-15-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Tip seems like a great value. Lots of cream puff tips around, not as many 6MTs. If I were not a die hard 3 pedal guy, I would have bought one. I know very little about them, but if they are like the other autos I have dealt with, then basically changing fluid and service is all they need. I ittermittently deal with issues where it is hard to drive a manual so I keep an auto around for that so I know the issues with driveability for a given driver that come into play.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:37 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In automatic mode, the gears shift too early and the 4 gear transmission makes you feel you are in a comfortable berline...

The tip mode makes you drive a completely different car. Even if you don't push the car to it's limit, you will have a smile driving it.

I always drive in tip mode. It's a fun car! I have other cars and never drive them in tip mode as I have no interest. But the 993 is very different.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

one er..'tip'
when around town keep it in 3
instead of auto.
otherwise use M mode all the way.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 AM
Marius993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been a BMW-guy and have had and have several. Both automatic and manual.

I prefer the manual in any car, but have often ended up with automatic due to convinience.

Last year my girlfriend both back her dads old 993. Its a cab and tip. We have driven it for a year, and for everyday use (at least in and out of norwegian cities), it is great. Comfortable to live with. Great on the high way.

I am concidering buying a second 993, as the other one was intended for my girlfriend as her car. But I have a suspecion that hers will be used more. The manuall is great but straining for start and stop and everyday use. Then again, i sometimes miss it.

In my opinion you will not regret buying a 993 with tip. I can`t understand why you would.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have driven a few 993 and 964 Tips, and have a few observations on why people are quite anti-tip on this list:

- the TIP is a four speed. The NA engines come to life about 4000 rpm, and with only 4 speeds, the Tip has a hard time to keep the engine in that power band, the drops per shift are larger and makes the car not as lively
- the softness of a torque convertor takes way from the connected feeling to the engine/drivetrain, its quite a softer feel
- in auto mode, the transmission shifts quite early, which means the engine is often way down on the rev range and thus the car feels sluggish

The Porsche developed the PDK, it was designed to address all of these issues, with a wider gearset, using clutches instead of a torque convertor, and much better electronics that map the shift points.

A Tip car will always be cheaper than one with a manual, so as long as you understand that (ie. do not expect on the selling end to be the same as the manual), and you can live with the above, the go for it. Mechanically, the transmissions are very robust, and you will not need to replace the clutch!

For me personally, its either manual, or PDK. I don't like the soft feel of a Tip equipped car, and I have an alternate vehicle for heavy traffic and commuting.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-15-2017, 06:54 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanH
Mechanically, tip is almost bulletproof. Almost nobody knows how to fix them because they rarely break. Suggest you try driving one, it is not for everyone. I love mine and would not switch. I always shift mine manually with the shifter as I find the rockers are a nuisance.
Cheers.
No offense but Porsche buys the tip from a transmission manufacturer (Getrag and later Mercedes) so lots of people know how to fix them. They are strong but not bullet proof. A feature the 993 has that was given up in the 996 and 997 is the ability to put it in 3rd or 2nd for around town. But to shift by the thumbs you have to move it to the manual mode. The later 996 and 997 fixed this so you could drop into manual mode via the buttons at anytime while in drive. And they went to five speeds. They all lack the mechanical edge of a manual but in real life city traffic it makes it very nice to drive. In stop and go I leave mine in drive but intercede with the manual buttons to keep the rpms where I want them. (I have a 996). In all the tips I've driven (993, 996, 997 S) you have to learn them and work them to enjoy the car. If you drive it like a Toyota you'll end up wondering why you didn't buy a Toyota. If you drive it like a Porsche, you should be quite happy. Porsche experimented with semi automatic clutchless driving in 1969 with the Sportomatic system. It was available in the 911 T and the 911 E.

Here is an except from a 1969 Porsche pamphlet. "To drive away simply step on the gas. To stop press on the brake. Shift at the precise moment it is needed, or don't shift, let Sportomatic take over. Shifting gears when accelerating or braking is entirely the driver's decision, not the car's. A Sportomatic-equipped Porsche won the 84-hour Marathon de la Route over the Nurburgring, a 14.17 mile course requiring no less than 250 shifts, up and down, per lap. Flawless in its performance, the winning Porsche with Sportomatic averaged 73 miles per hour for the 6,147 miles it covered in the race." Remember this is 1968/69. The top speed of the 911 T was 125 mph and the 911 E was 134.

If you decide on a tip 993, don't feel the need to apologize to anyone. Just learn how the system works and then drive it the way Porsche intended.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my 1996 993 Targa Tip for 10 years now, and would never go back to a manual transmission in a Porsche. Had a 1977 911 S and a 1984 3.2 Carrera; both were great cars, especially the '84, but I really prefer the automatic transmission. It is always driven in manual mode, and my wife loves to drive the car, also. 2nd gear is really great for windy(sp) mountain roads and the like. Tip was a great choice for me and my wife!
Fullbooker
Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Used my tip for the local fun run this past weekend. On the straits I had a bit of trouble keeping up but on the twisties it can hold its own with the modern cars, tippy or not its still a 993 and very tossable.
I find second and third are very usable and the revs are up in the sweet spot more often than not. A potential problem is keeping an eye on the gear indicator during spirited driving. It is so easy to bang a gear lower or higher but not always appropriate. With a manual you always know where you are by the position of the shifter. The thing that I hate about the tippy is how it feels when the torque converter locks up. Feels like letting a clutch out sloppily. Annoying as shyte. For the type of driving I do the tip works well. As I have said before it is not for everyone and I encourage any new buyer to find one to drive first, see if you like it.
Allan
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I have toyed with the idea of finding the right 993 TIP and shoving a PDK in it.

TIP 993's are under rated. I would not pass on one if that's what budget allowed.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I have toyed with the idea of finding the right 993 TIP and shoving a PDK in it.

TIP 993's are under rated. I would not pass on one if that's what budget allowed.
That would be worth doing. Unfortunately I don't think its possible. Electronics get in the way.

Quick Reply: How do you like your 993 Tip?