Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The 993 is not the most desirable aircooled 911 anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I really don't care if my 993s go up, down, left, right, etc. I drive tham and enjoy them and I really don't care what anybody else thinks. Just another guy on board trying to get into the Rare Air commodities trade. Yawn
Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
. Just another guy on board trying to get into the Rare Air commodities trade. Yawn
A little late for that isn't it? These cars aren't about $$ to most people on rennlist and what model is most desireable is relative to which article you are reading. They all are desirable and carry their own list of pros and cons.

Although for some reason this subject does seem to infuriate 993 owners more than any other air cooled.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM
rvmhn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTKan
Not that I care because I did not purchase my 993s as investments, but I suspect the last vintage of the air-cooled Porsches will always hold a special place in the hearts of the aficionados and over the long run in the marketplace as well.
Agree wholeheartedly. I'm a firm believer that the 993 market may be paused in the short term, but give it some time. I suspect that in the long run, 993 valuations will continue to outpace contemporary air-cooled cars on average for similar condition/mileage, sans special models where anything can happen.

I just bought my first 993, but don't think I have a horse in the race. The 92-94 964 cars were definitely hard to find, but similarly, any fair priced 993 is usually gone in under a week's time.

Ravi
Old 04-12-2017, 02:04 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Desirability and value of older cars is purely subjective. It all depends on the condition of the car, number produced etc. It also depends on the buyer's reason for buying. Limited production models and homoligation specials are always going to command more money. Older 911's are now firmly in the "historic" category and have caught the eye of many well heeled collectors. Auction results need to be taken with a grain of salt because of the excitement of the moment, bidder egos, etc. For example, a 23 window VW Bus just sold for $265000.00(!) at Barrett-Jackson, Palm Beach last weekend.

Much of the desirability of the 993 lies in the fact that it was the final and most developed of the air-cooled cars. I believe that that is where the automotive press is coming from.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:31 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Although for some reason this subject does seem to infuriate 993 owners more than any other air cooled.
Probably because many of us were here before the boom when this was a purely technical forum.

In the past few years, the 993 has enjoyed a nice upswing in value, and that's great and all, but these days it seems like half the threads started here are either about how good of an investment the 993 is, or why some other generation is such a better investment than the 993. It gets old after a while.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Probably because many of us were here before the boom when this was a purely technical forum.

In the past few years, the 993 has enjoyed a nice upswing in value, and that's great and all, but these days it seems like half the threads started here are either about how good of an investment the 993 is, or why some other generation is such a better investment than the 993. It gets old after a while.

the 993 does not have exclusivity in that department.
Same crap on all the forums.

Not much else people are talking about. I think we have touched on every technical aspect of every model by now.
A lot has been learned about these cars since the Internet and rennlist came along.

Guess we could start another picture thread lol
Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

If the $ you have in your 993 are a financial consideration - you are more interested in $ than cars.

Most people that own Porsche will go into the ground with money in the bank - to be left to kids, relatives, or charities.

Personally, I get more enjoyment out of the car the 993 seeing a few extra $ in my portfolio.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Sigs993
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The different years are all so close in value when buying like examples that this thread confuses me.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Ours cars are special, and marvelous, irrespective of wide or narrow, normally aspirated or turbo.
So are most of the owners I have met, locally in northwest, and in summer gatherings like the 993 Fest organized by Nathan Merz, based in WA. None talk about or seem to care much re: potential appreciation, recognizing and savoring the quality and particulars of our cars, last of many great Stuttgart fan blowers, and generally assuming their historic build quality, value. and desirability will prevail.
I personally enjoy this Forum for technical advice and wisdom from others who generously share their expertise and experience, not for this fluff.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the most desireable 911 can be any 911 depending on the buyer. Each generation has pros and cons with can vary between individuals.

I love my 993s.... used to think they were the best of the best.
But then i fell in love with 964s shortly after and then the long hoods...
Old 04-12-2017, 10:14 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

3 Cheers . . . . .

Old 04-12-2017, 11:55 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought my car a little over a year ago so the market was high and honestly the only reason I bought it was because I couldn't see the prices go up anymore. To me this car isnt an investment it's a dream I've always had and this model had to be it. Why, because it came out right about the same time I got my drivers license and until this day I think it's the most beautiful 911 ever made . My plan is to get intimate with the car and drive the heck out of it and screw what it's worth 10 or 20 years from now. I don't care about putting miles on my car even though I bought a low mileage vehicle to me it's all about the smile I get on my face and the excitement when I get on it. If I want to invest in something I'll buy some real estate. But each their own.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:43 AM
stubble88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How dare you sir
Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default And now for my 2 cents...

I've always been a car guy and have had many cars over the last 40 years. The 911 is a car I have admired my entire life because of the simple beauty of its design. I purchased my 993 just 7 months ago. I looked at all the air cooled models before landing on the 993. Though I think the 964 is a better looking car, I appreciate the modern suspension, safety features, and creature comforts of the 993. In the end, the 993's attributes won over the other air cooled models.

I plan to keep this car forever. If the market improves, it's a win. If it declines, I really won't care because every time I drive the car, it makes me feel like a very luck man and that's priceless.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Agreed. Although you left out the 964 3.8RS's which are seeing $800k+. Don't forget the SCRS which is also over $500k.
Yes! Those are so rare that i left them out as i havent seen any in the market.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 04-14-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: The 993 is not the most desirable aircooled 911 anymore!