Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

No more Ed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:51 PM
12mpg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the show. I just watched the old 993 episode the other day. Tech Garage on Velocity is actually pretty damn good. No deadlines and actually projects normal people run into.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:28 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm in the biz. Cable TV viewership is declining. Youtube and streaming services are cutting into traditional TV viewership. People are cutting the cord(cable). As a result, Cable Networks are having to cut budgets and re-think of ways to make money. Some exec decided to slash the budget on WD and unfortunately Edd China leaving was the result of this. Sad to see it happen. I'm sure he'll get a new gig or gain success with his youtube channel. People will follow his talent.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:13 AM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
They give you a teaser of whats is coming up after the commercial, show the commercial and then have to tell you AGAIN in 30 sec an update of what you just watched before the commercial. Seriously???
This is one thing I really HATE also, but WD doesn't seem to do that. I like the show & am sorry to see Ed go.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
Have any specific recommendations?
For sure! I'm only scratching the surface here and it really depends on what you want to see, but here are some channels I've been following for years that I like very much that should get you started!

Mighty Car Mods
• Roadkill series on Motor Trend TV channel
Boostedboiz
AMMO NYC
B is for Build
Home Built by Jeff
Finnegan's Garage
Salt City Euros

And shameless plug ---> 911%

Enjoy!!!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Folks.....for fans of the show let's agree on ONE thing

Mr. China goes by "EDD"......not "ED".......

I am happy he posted what he did earlier. Let us all support him in his new career.

Haven't we ALL gone through this previously?

BTW....you can find him at "EDD CHINA" on youtube

Perhaps the ADMIN or Mods can combine these threads........
Old 03-24-2017, 02:47 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boman993
Television is dead...Unless you like Velocity car-reality tv that goes something like this: shop drama, timing drama, Richard Rawlings "whoo!", more drama, and then BOOM, a shiny car reveal at the end....

If you want to see cool (and smart) automotive content like the original Wheeler/Dealers, you have to look to YOUTUBE! So many cool channels that build, fab, enjoy, etc...
Agree. I can no longer tolerate even 5mins of the outdated formulaic junk that's broadcasted on traditional network tv. My guess is that we'll see a 3yr half life (ie you'll see 1/2 the number of broadcast channels in 3yrs as today, halved again in another 3...) until all network channels fold.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh yeah .. agreed. The valued content on Wheeler Dealers broadcast was the technical segment facilitated by Edd. The sales guy Mike was regarded by many as ,,,, permissible. (after the 25th repetition) My $.02 Different strokes for different folks.

Three cheers to Mr. Edd China ... Godspeed!

P.S., The trend in Cable TV subscriber decline is well along its way; No turning back. Internet access products such as Netflix, Amazon, YouTube Red to name just a few, has taken its toll.

P.S.S., Having an unlimited use, corporate paid worldwide Air Card,,, will travel.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Derek911
Racer

Originally Posted by boman993
Television is dead...Unless you like Velocity car-reality tv that goes something like this: shop drama, timing drama, Richard Rawlings "whoo!", more drama, and then BOOM, a shiny car reveal at the end....

If you want to see cool (and smart) automotive content like the original Wheeler/Dealers, you have to look to YOUTUBE! So many cool channels that build, fab, enjoy, etc..

I was gonna rant like a madman, but you just covered everything.
Car shows have turned into fake dramatic reality shows. Wheeler Dealer was the only show I would watch. It was the only show that actually shows someone fixing something. The other shows are about arguments, flipping cars, rushing because they always only have one day to do everything. I can't watch that garbage. YouTube is going to be it I guess. The good thing is that these new TVs are web and YouTube ready built it. I watch all my you tube videos on TV.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:24 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Golly Edd.....we just made Free thousand Dallars! Here...hold out your hand-------

Quick Reply: No more Ed