993 Forum 1995-1998

Ohlins Road & Track Suspension Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ohlins Road & Track Suspension Installed

Thanks to Bill V for his guidance and input. I'm really happy with the outcome althoug this was a horrendously expensive undertaking. I went with all new rear arms (RS) and for the two stock (camber/kinematic) that use stock bushings upgraded those to Elephant racing Sport hardness and again for the front control arms (replacing old Walrod P/U). My old PSS9's which weren't great to begin with were also at 100K so it was time all around for this given the rear steer float and that the stock bushings and ball joints across the entire rear were at 136k miles themselves.

Of course there is the "while you're in there" items (3rd leaky steering rack needed replacement...enraging me already that alone was $2k rebuilt!), rear axle, engine & diff oil and some other minor bits including the Function First transmission mount.

What's really exciting though is the weight saving initiative I started last year. The sunroof comes out next which should bring my chassis weight (no driver + 1/2 tank fuel) down to a rather svelt by 993 standards 2670lbs.

Anyway here's the setup. Jae had to make two new rear droplinks the factory RS one did not fit the Ohlins. Also, this is as low as they go...still not slammed by any measure in fact this has to be higher than RS spec. Either way the result is a complete transformation omg in a good way.

97993 Ohlins.pdf (333.9 KB, 348 views)
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (09-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I see seats. I see interior. I don't see the 400 lb loss. Really curious. Could you provide details? it must be fun on Ohlins.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I need pics.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
I see seats. I see interior. I don't see the 400 lb loss. Really curious. Could you provide details? it must be fun on Ohlins.
Spare tire out (yes am aware of its dual purpose), Tools, front carpet, change to RS washer reservoir, both airbags out, lower dash kneepad swap for Rennline cover, center console delete, A/C delete (including alll lines and hardware out), cruise control delete, stereo and all cables/hardware out, full interior removal and RS lightweight carpet install with RS door panels by Autos Intl here in San Diego.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

A 400 lb weight reduction is amazing.

My old car had a gutted interior (headliner in place), hollowed-out doors, no window regulators, no door glass, Recaro Pro Racer HANS/Pole Position seats, cat delete, Fabspeed Supercup mufflers, lightweight Odyssey battery, full cage, Momo Mod .07 wheel, full AC delete and light Fikse FM-10 wheels, and the lowest I could get it was about 2900 lbs with 1/8 of a tank of gas. I had to add three, 30 lb sandbags to make the PCA stock weight of 3020 lbs.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Well done, bro! What a beast!

Im doing something similar this year but i didnt see a rennline rear subframe kit included. Had you done this already or is it only necessary when the car is very very low?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

No pictures of the actual suspension? Come onnnn!!!

Car looks great!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Analog Theory
Spare tire out (yes am aware of its dual purpose), Tools, front carpet, change to RS washer reservoir, both airbags out, lower dash kneepad swap for Rennline cover, center console delete, A/C delete (including alll lines and hardware out), cruise control delete, stereo and all cables/hardware out, full interior removal and RS lightweight carpet install with RS door panels by Autos Intl here in San Diego.
This subject is near to my heart as I autocross a CSP car and actually have a spreadsheet of every single part that's been removed or replaced, along with the weight saving of actually weighing the parts. Car has gone down about 240 lbs and that includes biting off my nails and picking my nose on race weekends.

I assume you had the car corner balanced and if so, they should have provided the numbers. From what is described above, I see (conservatively), 60 lbs for spare, tools and carpet, 25 lbs for the airbags, 50 lbs for A/C, 20 lbs for radio, speakers and wires, 10 lbs for lower dash. That's about 170 lbs. Would be great to know what the interior weighs. I know seats are close to 55 lbs each, but the replacement weigh about 25-30 lb, maybe more, based on the pics. Etc.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd _love_ to know where a 993 of this nature could actually end up weight-wise. But from my experience I know that every couple of lbs are a tremendous pain in the butt to find and remove, especially in the world of autocross classing. And I was way too enthusiastic while overestimating mine, weighing stuff is a sobering experience. Especially when I know that my competitors run about 75-80 lb lighter cars and some got it towards 120 lbs lighter, though at that point their cars become a single-race prayers (even considering that they often race for 2.5 minutes a day).
Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Sorry not on the car but here are the actual units the moment they arrived.
Attached Images     
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
This subject is near to my heart as I autocross a CSP car and actually have a spreadsheet of every single part that's been removed or replaced, along with the weight saving of actually weighing the parts. Car has gone down about 240 lbs and that includes biting off my nails and picking my nose on race weekends.

I assume you had the car corner balanced and if so, they should have provided the numbers. From what is described above, I see (conservatively), 60 lbs for spare, tools and carpet, 25 lbs for the airbags, 50 lbs for A/C, 20 lbs for radio, speakers and wires, 10 lbs for lower dash. That's about 170 lbs. Would be great to know what the interior weighs. I know seats are close to 55 lbs each, but the replacement weigh about 25-30 lb, maybe more, based on the pics. Etc.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd _love_ to know where a 993 of this nature could actually end up weight-wise. But from my experience I know that every couple of lbs are a tremendous pain in the butt to find and remove, especially in the world of autocross classing. And I was way too enthusiastic while overestimating mine, weighing stuff is a sobering experience. Especially when I know that my competitors run about 75-80 lb lighter cars and some got it towards 120 lbs lighter, though at that point their cars become a single-race prayers (even considering that they often race for 2.5 minutes a day).
The PDF I attached in my 1st post is the alignment and corner balance settings. Hard to see it there but it's below the pictures
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Here is a little video I took after we gutted the interior. That alone was 115lbs out and I couldn't believe it. That was the last step so far only the sunroof and stock cats to go for hopefully another 60lbs out.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

An element in weight reduction that should be included is weight of the butt in the driver's seat. Many obsess about every pound discarded, even removing a light bulb, yet undoubtedly carry many more unnecessary pounds on their skeletal systems, with consequences far worse than slower track times.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jordan, 2,725 lb without driver? That is _extremely_ impressive! Wow. My complements.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You really, really suck!!!!! I do not wanna do this, I do not wanna do this.......... :-)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Analog Theory
Thanks to Bill V for his guidance and input. I'm really happy with the outcome althoug this was a horrendously expensive undertaking. I went with all new rear arms (RS) and for the two stock (camber/kinematic) that use stock bushings upgraded those to Elephant racing Sport hardness and again for the front control arms (replacing old Walrod P/U). My old PSS9's which weren't great to begin with were also at 100K so it was time all around for this given the rear steer float and that the stock bushings and ball joints across the entire rear were at 136k miles themselves.

Of course there is the "while you're in there" items (3rd leaky steering rack needed replacement...enraging me already that alone was $2k rebuilt!), rear axle, engine & diff oil and some other minor bits including the Function First transmission mount.

What's really exciting though is the weight saving initiative I started last year. The sunroof comes out next which should bring my chassis weight (no driver + 1/2 tank fuel) down to a rather svelt by 993 standards 2670lbs.

Anyway here's the setup. Jae had to make two new rear droplinks the factory RS one did not fit the Ohlins. Also, this is as low as they go...still not slammed by any measure in fact this has to be higher than RS spec. Either way the result is a complete transformation omg in a good way.

Your suspension project sounds a lot like mine. I did the same with control arms (RS where I could, elephant sport everywhere else). I did PSS10 instead of Ohlins though. Also did axles and tie rods, shock mounts, subframe, drop links, etc. Basically anything that could possibly wear was replaced. Did you do subframe as well?

I agree that the transformation is fantastic - its like a new car. It was great before. Afterwards it is brilliant.

Quick Reply: Ohlins Road & Track Suspension Installed