Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Performance of the MCS suspension on street settings...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Performance of the MCS suspension on street settings...

Performance of MCS suspension at the track on...full soft street settings. Back in November 2916, I had set the compression and rebound to full soft for a 500 mile road trip in my street/track 993....than, in a severe senior moment, I forgot about having done this. Note I do have a track check off list, and specifically stated, the MCS settings are delineated.

In December I ran Buttonwillow Race 1 CW with the bypass. I was 5 seconds off my other 993 competitor Todd, that I usually run pretty tight with over the past few years. OK, he was on Hoosiers...I was on Nittos, that's 2 seconds in his favor, but I was still 3 seconds slower than him, for some known, and some unknown reasons...but one known is certain, I had the compression and rebound settings on full soft: banghead:

In February 2017, I ran Willow Springs, I was off the pace, couldn't figure out why, never recalling for a moment that I had full soft settings on my suspension.

Fast forward to March 11, 2017, Buttonwillow IA CW, slow and the car just wasn't hooking up to my satisfaction...On the 12th, Sunday I had the hood opened, and it hit me, why not double check the MCS settings...damn, full soft. Then I recalled what I had done the past November.

I reset compression and rebound to my standard track specs, put on a set of Fresh Hoosiers, and voila', the car handled like a dream, I knocked off 4 seconds from my previous best time of about 2:11.XX down to 2:07.90. Got around a 2003 996 Turbo and a 2003 GT3....OK, I never sought out the reasons why they couldn't out perform my little street legal car.

Damn, said I, I can hardly wait for the last run of the day, I just knew I could better the 2:07.90, looking for a 2:05!! But that was not to happen...a front wheel bearing started acting up and the car was unsafe to drive. What I really want is a 2:03.549..and that would be a track record for GT5 in the Porsche Owners Club. Dream on! I want to live that dream.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I've gone out on the course with incorrectly set suspension a number of times. To a point where I seriously considered stickers inside the car reminding me to check suspension settings. Then I stopped driving the car on the street and the problem has gone away. I've always contended that street driving is dangerous and counterproductive

OTOH, I once set an FTD with 11 psi of pressure in one of the front Hoosiers. To say that I'm notoriously bad at feeling the car setup is not to say much at all
Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

My Moton suspension settings would sometimes come back completely different than where they last were. I think one of my friends was messing with me since we all used the same shop. Anyway, I learned to always check the settings before the first run of the event.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

" Then I stopped driving the car on the street and the problem has gone away. I've always contended that street driving is dangerous and counterproductive " Have to agree on this

I live doen a 2 mile dirt road, although my car is street legal emissions wise in CA, it never gets to the street. Now with a 60" wing on the back, to would stand out too much on the street, to the police, "Rice Racers" and thieves.

I have learned my lesson...but it was painful. Next time I'll even double check my canister pressures. I never mess with them...so it is easy to ignore this chore. Plus it's a pain in the ***.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Anyway, I learned to always check the settings before the first run of the event.
Mark, are you assuming that your competitors are nice enough not to mess with the car between the runs?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Mark, are you assuming that your competitors are nice enough not to mess with the car between the runs?
No, I think someone was messing with the car when it was at the shop. I think I know who it is; he and I are friends.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:22 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Martin - what compression and rebound settings are you running on track? Thx.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Martin - what compression and rebound settings are you running on track? Thx.
...And do you have different "track" settings for the various venues you run;
or does your one track setting serve all?
TIA
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
wyatt_at_MCS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not alone! It's an easy thing to forget check after having driven to the track. But, it doesn't take long to figure out, a few laps into the day and you'll know immediately.

A checklist comes in handy, especially after a long night of driving, waking up half zombie, and dragging yourself to the track - that checklist makes a big difference.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
wyatt_at_MCS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
My Moton suspension settings would sometimes come back completely different than where they last were. I think one of my friends was messing with me since we all used the same shop. Anyway, I learned to always check the settings before the first run of the event.
Too funny!

Quick Reply: Performance of the MCS suspension on street settings...