993 Forum 1995-1998

Should I buy a 993 Targa now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 02:31 AM
char911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 993 Targa now?

I am very fortunate to own a base 991.1 and I am very happy with it. As many of you may agree, if you love 911 you cannot deny 993 body type is the best of them all.

I have been looking for a decent 993 and my personal preference is to get a Targa. There isn't a lot of them available and I am considering both tiptronic and manual. Nothing available is lower than $50,000 unless it's high mileage. Can anyone give me advise?

BTW this is my first post in the forum
Old 03-10-2017, 08:18 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by char911
Can anyone give me advise.
Use the search feature here and learn as much as your can about 993's in general and targas in specific.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Welcome to the 993 forum. Make sure the Targa top is functioning properly as it can be expensive to repair.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, define what is "high mileage? For some on this board it starts at under 50k miles, and there are others (like me) that doesn't consider anything under 100k miles as in the higher mileage category. There are a lot of air cooled 911s with WAY more mileage than 200k. Currently, from what I see there are quite a few Tips and Cabs(and Cabs with Tips) for sale at prices quite a bit lower than one would expect to pay for a manual coupe. As was said earlier, search the achive around the 993 Targa, the Targa system seems to have had it's issues. Cheers
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

RAC dallas has a neat red targa with low miles (65k range) and a 6sp....and believe the car can be bought for near 60K. IMO on the high side but dealer mark up etc. 6sp, targa, decent color combo with original paint etc all add to the $$$

http://www.racperformance.com/1996-P...ton-TX/5760977
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with above - there is a lot of good info already out there.

I've had a Targa for the past 3.5 years and based on my experience:

1) The Targa roof is very rare. In North America it is twice as rare as Turbos, 3 times as rare as the wide body cars (C2S and C4S), over 6 times as rare as narrow body coupes, and over 7 times as rare as cabs. Despite this, the market currently prices Targas a bit cheaper than NB coupes. They just don't have the demand of other variants, especially the much more common WB coupes. Never pay more for a NB Targa than a coupe of equal condition.

2) Targas can do everything any other 993 can do. Don't let people tell you they are slow or don't corner well because of the glass roof. Even as a intermediate level track driver, one can more than keep up with others driving today's best street cars in a stock 993 Targa.

3) The Targa roof has proven to be durable (considering its age, complexity and light weight components), but they are a problem for mechanics. I'm not aware of any professional mechanics that have a reputation for repairing roofs properly. The cars are just too rare. Unless you are a DIYer, I would not recommend a targa. I've just seen too many roofs damaged by inexperienced mechanics. The members of this forum are probably the best source of help in the world for roof repairs.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:17 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drisump
Currently, from what I see there are quite a few Tips and Cabs(and Cabs with Tips) for sale at prices quite a bit lower than one would expect to pay for a manual coupe. Cheers
A wonderful opinion of the market for Cabs, but the OP mentioned his/her preference for Targas. He/she was NOT asking about Cabs.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
PorscheTech993
Intermediate

Take a look at the 993 price thread on the main page to see what people have been paying. This will give you a good idea of fair market value. As for the correct time to buy, the answer to that would be now. There will never a right time, if you have the funds I say go for it. Prices will fluctuate but should not tank for a classic 911. Don't forget to get a PPI done BEFORE you buy the vehicle. Best of luck in your search!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

Should you buy a 993 Targa? If you understand the 993, and want a targa then answer is:

YES

I owned a Targa and enjoyed it very much. I ended up trading it for a wide body, but that's a different story.

/
Old 03-10-2017, 06:16 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Beware when asking about 993 valuations when it comes to different models, some people here can get worked up if they feel dissed. Best Source is the Prices Paid Thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...d-or-sold.html
Old 03-10-2017, 06:28 PM
12mpg
Advanced

YES, the answer to should "I buy a 993" is always yes. I looked into a Targa before I bought my coupe. They look great.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:10 AM
char911
Intermediate

You guys are awesome awesome awesome. This forum is fantastic, I blame my poor productivity at work today because of it

I read a lot and thank you for the advise. For high mileage in general I refer anything 100k is high. But I know these hand built 993s are rock solid so I don't know if I should be concerned if the mileage is above 100k miles.

My budge is about $50k and here are what I have found:
- For a Targa, which I love the most out of all models, I can find a couple for about $50k-$55k at 40k miles to 70k miles. Reading the price paid thread there are not a lot of targa sold so it's hard to tell right away if they are reasonable.
- My next option is a coupe, preferred S but doesn't have to be. There are more of that and mileage goes from 20k to 200k. Should I stay away from anything above 150k as it's probably a lot of maintenance coming up? e.g. I can get a 160k miles for about $30k.

Other concerns I have:
I am located in Seattle WA and there's not a lot of options locally. So I have to look across the country. I hate buying any car without seeing it, so I have to rely on internet research to see if the dealer is trustworthy before I decide to fly there and check out a car if I am serious with it. I understand I should ask for as munch history and documents for the car as possible so I can have more confidence.
I can only get a tip as I have to ensure both me and my wife can drive it. On one hand this helps cost a bit but on the other hand inventory for tip is a lot less.

Also do you drive yours in rain? It rains a lot in Seattle (yea who doesn't know) and I do want to drive it in rain.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

A few main tips...

-Get a Pre Purchase Inspection from a reputable Porsche Air Cooled dealer who knows these cars well.

-Check the door "Check Straps" to see if they are intact

-Check front and rear windscreens in the corners to check for rust

-Make sure the car has maintenance records / when was the last service
Old 03-11-2017, 10:35 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
Should you buy a 993 Targa? If you want a 993, and understand the targa then answer is:
Fixed it for ya!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by char911
You guys are awesome awesome awesome. This forum is fantastic, I blame my poor productivity at work today because of it

I read a lot and thank you for the advise. For high mileage in general I refer anything 100k is high. But I know these hand built 993s are rock solid so I don't know if I should be concerned if the mileage is above 100k miles.

My budge is about $50k and here are what I have found:
- For a Targa, which I love the most out of all models, I can find a couple for about $50k-$55k at 40k miles to 70k miles. Reading the price paid thread there are not a lot of targa sold so it's hard to tell right away if they are reasonable.
- My next option is a coupe, preferred S but doesn't have to be. There are more of that and mileage goes from 20k to 200k. Should I stay away from anything above 150k as it's probably a lot of maintenance coming up? e.g. I can get a 160k miles for about $30k.

Other concerns I have:
I am located in Seattle WA and there's not a lot of options locally. So I have to look across the country. I hate buying any car without seeing it, so I have to rely on internet research to see if the dealer is trustworthy before I decide to fly there and check out a car if I am serious with it. I understand I should ask for as munch history and documents for the car as possible so I can have more confidence.
I can only get a tip as I have to ensure both me and my wife can drive it. On one hand this helps cost a bit but on the other hand inventory for tip is a lot less.

Also do you drive yours in rain? It rains a lot in Seattle (yea who doesn't know) and I do want to drive it in rain.
Regarding miles. My car has 128k miles on it and feels better to me than some cars I've driven with less that half as many. Maintenance is everything. The nice thing about a car over 100k is that its not only cheaper but if its well taken care of then many parts will have been replaced around 100k and you save yourself have to go over that 'hump' yourself. A well taken care of 100k mile car will be fine to go another 100k without major work, whereas a 50k mile car may need a bunch of work to get you to 100k.

Regarding rain. Just do it! I spent many years driving in Seattle in 911s and its a great place to drive. Lots of wonderful roads and the rain just adds a little challenge. These cars are made to drive and they will last as long as you are willing to take care of them. A little rain won't hurt your car. Make sure to get tires with good wet traction like the Michelin PSS.

Do you have a mechanic in Seattle yet? If not, get one now and start talking to him. Get him involved in your purchase and then use him for work afterwards. If on the east side check out Squire's, I used them for years and was always very happy with their work. If in Seattle itself there are a number of other great options.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 993 Targa now?