Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

If you have RS Uprights, read on...

Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default If you have RS Uprights, read on...

You must have RS uprights and tie rods, no bump steer for you, right? Well maybe, maybe not. My San Diego alignment guy, Jae Lee at Mirage International, told me that I may want to consider dialing out any potential bump steer in my 993 front suspension..wait a minute, How could I have any residual bump steer? I have the RS uprights and the RS tie rods. At the time I had the RS wheel carriers and tie rods installed, I wanted the RSR style inner tie rods (No rubber), but for years they have been NLA for years so I had to settle for the 993 RS tie rods.

Well it just so happens the inner ends on the RS tie rods have some rubber, rubber equals flexibility, flexibility = potential bump steer. After spending $$$ on the RS uprights and tie rods, I didn't want to admit to bump steer...but going around Turn 8 at Willow Springs, I could feel it, and I don't like the car hopping around at 120 mph +.

I am going to take the leap, and have the RSR style inner tie rods installed and the car realigned and corner balanced at Jae's shop. And "while you are in there", I am going to have the rear alignment done too and any possible bump steer dialed out, will have the KT settings optimized. BTW, the rear suspension is all ERP links.

http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm

Here you will read, "These are exact reproductions of the NLA RSR inner tie rods. The solid tie rod design provides improved feedback over the standard or RS rubber links, without any significant increase in noise or ride harshness. Fits 964's converted to RS uprights and all 993's. Kit includes two inner tie rods."

I will document any changes in handling on this Board. I am headed back to Willow Springs May 20, 21, POC's Tribute to Le Mans.

When will I get to the bottom of this "slippery slope": It never seems to end.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure it can be eliminated, but surely reduced to the point, it doesn't upset the chassis, mid turn. :-)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
let's connect when you are in SD!

Craig
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Connect

Craig...I am awaiting confirmation of my appointment with Jae..when that's locked in, I'll let you know. He will have the car for two (2) days. His alignment and
anti-Bump Steer process is very labor intensive.

Send me a PM with your e-mail; I have here somewhere but getting a PM would make it easier. And NO base jumping

Thanks,

Martin
Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Craig...I am awaiting confirmation of my appointment with Jae..when that's locked in, I'll let you know. He will have the car for two (2) days. His alignment and
anti-Bump Steer process is very labor intensive.

Send me a PM with your e-mail; I have here somewhere but getting a PM would make it easier. And NO base jumping

Thanks,

Martin
Martin this is the exact setup Jae upgraded me to also...love it! Fast forward to right now and the reason you have to wait for an appt spot with Jae is because he's been working on installing all new Elephant Sport bushings, new RS rear arms/kinematic and Ohlins coilovers on my rig. Should be done this week.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

You must have RS uprights and tie rods, no bump steer for you, right? Well maybe, maybe not. My San Diego alignment guy, Jae Lee at Mirage International, told me that I may want to consider dialing out any potential bump steer in my 993 front suspension..wait a minute, How could I have any residual bump steer? I have the RS uprights and the RS tie rods. At the time I had the RS wheel carriers and tie rods installed, I wanted the RSR style inner tie rods (No rubber), but for years they have been NLA for years so I had to settle for the 993 RS tie rods.

Well it just so happens the inner ends on the RS tie rods have some rubber, rubber equals flexibility, flexibility = potential bump steer. After spending $$$ on the RS uprights and tie rods, I didn't want to admit to bump steer...but going around Turn 8 at Willow Springs, I could feel it, and I don't like the car hopping around at 120 mph +.

I am going to take the leap, and have the RSR style inner tie rods installed and the car realigned and corner balanced at Jae's shop. And "while you are in there", I am going to have the rear alignment done too and any possible bump steer dialed out, will have the KT settings optimized. BTW, the rear suspension is all ERP links.

http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm

Here you will read, "These are exact reproductions of the NLA RSR inner tie rods. The solid tie rod design provides improved feedback over the standard or RS rubber links, without any significant increase in noise or ride harshness. Fits 964's converted to RS uprights and all 993's. Kit includes two inner tie rods."

I will document any changes in handling on this Board. I am headed back to Willow Springs May 20, 21, POC's Tribute to Le Mans.

Martin,
2 different issues are being conflated here

issue 1 - bump steer aka roll steer which is caused by the different arcs that the road wheel ball joint and the steering gear travel through. This is what the RS uprights address by moving the outer end of the steering gear back into a more benign alignment w/ the road wheel ball joint. Other means to address thus are w/ o/s tie rod ends. Some guys use both Roll steer can never be eliminated only reduced. To find out how much bump steer you have a bump sweep must be performed, this moves the suspension through it's arc of travel and measures the toe change w/ a dial indicator correlated to the position in the travel arc. Here is a pic of a typical bump steer gauge setup

issue 2 - steering slop , caused by rubber or other flexible components in the steering and suspension. This is the issue that the Tarrett inner tie rod piecs address. There are 3 levels of slop in the inner tie rods, from worst to best; stock, RS, RSR. The Tarretts are clones of the RSR mono-ball inner tierod ends. They don't alter bump steer in any way just eliminate the small amount of give that the RS inners allow.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Great info....

I appreciate the heads up...and I actually understood the concept before you so clearly bifurcated the two issuers. I am getting the inner tie rod ends replaced, and next going through the dial indicator process you described. This is a very labor intensive process, as one can imagine.

Thanks again Bill for clearing up the issue.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bill nailed it.

Two completely different issues and therefore two different solutions.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Bill always "Nails it"

Two different issues, and I am addressing both, inner tie rod ends and the dial indicator routine. I can hardly wait to get the car back.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the main issue with rubber in the tie rods is toe out under braking leading to some wandering instability and toe changes during cornering loads that mimics bump steer.

While he's in there Marty, have Jae install some stiffer Rothsport rack mounts and a steering rack stiffener (I think you have a rack stiffener?) to keep the steering rack from moving around too.

Both here:

http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Ch...Rack-Brace.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you have RS Uprights, read on...