Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wide Body RSR/GT2 like Tribute build... questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Wide Body RSR/GT2 like Tribute build... questions?

Good morning... well, I am set on doing a tribute build as the wide body (fender extension) style 993 cars is a look I have always loved. I am budgeting for this and now searching for the right car to start with. I am looking at one local 993 later today and have a few other cars in the Q I am considering. I had some questions as I embark on this journey and greatly appreciate any input at all....Hoping some can chime in that have done such a build or have explored such a project themselves. Any comments at all that may help me get to my end goal with as few mistakes as possible...
Starting with a narrow body car so yes will be adding the right flares to accomadate NB... understand only WB cars can take the gt2 style flares etc..
Budget
40-50K for NB 6sp C2 Purchase.
3-5K Body panel parts... any suggestions on best maker below or others to consider? (fender extensions, wing, side skirts, chin spoiler/nose)
* [url]http://www.gt-racing.com
* http://www.gettydesign.com/
* http://www.mashaw.com/
3-4K Suspension - Adjustable coilovers KW or other? Parts, install, align.
* would love any input here... beyond the right coil overs what else is needed for the correct stance. Can I achieve the right look with just coil overs + the correct offset wheels and possible help with modest spacers or do I have to push the geometry of the entire suspension out to accommodate? This will NOT be a track car but want the car to handle well...
7-8-10k (much depends on teh car I start with) Paint and fit body parts... possible other paint work on the car as needed. This assuming NOT a color change. So if car paint was just fair, assuming all the body panels I would be adding, would it make sense to paint whole car?
3-5K wheels/tires (purchase used)
2-3K other Inner fender liners modified and things I left off the list.

Other Later,,,,10K - I will be adding parts after the build as I have always modded my cars through the years. So interior mods and other I am OK to factor later budget speaking. I am looking for initial cost without going crazy to build really phase one of a tribute like car as noted above. car, suspension, body parts, paint and install, wheels...some parts I hope to source on the forums, used, other so hoping to save a bit vs buying all new parts for the entire build.

Thanks greatly all...

Would anyone have any picture(s) of a narrow body to wide body build (with fender extensions) compared to a gt2 like tribute with wide body car and the gt2 fender extensions on.... curious how drastic a difference. I have a black 997 now I plan to keep but have had air cooled cars in the past see signature... and although black is not my top choice in color I do like black wide body builds as IMO they hide the lines that stand out in none black cars from where the body panels meet the car. (my black 997 attached)
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-02-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:51 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The front of an RSR is identical to a GT2, its the rear that the differences are.

You cannot put GT2 flares on the rear of a NB car. The shape of the fender flares are different to match the profile of the WB fenders. To do GT2 Fenders on a NB car is a 2 part process,

1. Replace NB rear fenders with WB/Turbo Fenders.
2. Install GT2 fender flares.

This of course adds to the cost of your conversion.

Juha basically did this with his GT2 Build, Started as a NB C2 and is now a WB monster (even wider than stock GT2.)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

I believe the build quality or quality of the donor of Thatcher's car wasn't all that great, but looked nice in the pictures once completed. There's probably plenty of information in this thread that can help you considering he started with a NB:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rsr-build.html

IMO - don't be cheap on the wheels.... Proper Speedlines widened by Dorociak or BBS E88's only! Delete the sunroof too.

I actually prefer the NB / RSR look over the GT2.

Last edited by Nurburger; 03-02-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 AM
RSCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project RSR

Look up my RSR build under 'Project RSR'. I built it up from a narrow body 993 it might help you.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Yes sir, aware of this. Will be going rsr flares. Thanks for the help and any other input would be great. Tx

Originally Posted by trophy
The front of an RSR is identical to a GT2, its the rear that the differences are.

You cannot put GT2 flares on the rear of a NB car. The shape of the fender flares are different to match the profile of the WB fenders. To do GT2 Fenders on a NB car is a 2 part process,

1. Replace NB rear fenders with WB/Turbo Fenders.
2. Install GT2 fender flares.

This of course adds to the cost of your conversion.

Juha basically did this with his GT2 Build, Started as a NB C2 and is now a WB monster (even wider than stock GT2.)
I am hoping to start with a straight and honest 993.... the best car I can find for 40-50k. I have a lead on a few good potentials and an offer pending....2 new leads came in today that look very good as well.

No question on the wheels. It will be likely be 18 bbs e88s - gold centers. Only way will be speedlines if it I end up with a yellow car build. But those are the two wheels only considering.

Would you happen to know the correct offset wheel front and rear for a NB rsr style tribute build? Leaning towards Getty as the make.....

Thanks again for the input and any other tips/advice.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I believe the build quality or quality of the donor of Thatcher's car wasn't all that great, but looked nice in the pictures once completed. There's probably plenty of information in this thread that can help you considering he started with a NB:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rsr-build.html

IMO - don't be cheap on the wheels.... Proper Speedlines widened by Dorociak or BBS E88's only! Delete the sunroof too.

I actually prefer the NB / RSR look over the GT2.
Thank you. Will read up on this build asap. Thanks for the help....please reply here or pm me any tips or other that may help me with a smooth build. Do you have the offsets listed in your thread for wheels front and back u used? Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by RSCS
Look up my RSR build under 'Project RSR'. I built it up from a narrow body 993 it might help you.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:47 PM
trophy
Race Car

if you are going RSR, Wheel offsets are basically the same as a any WB car. THe RSR rear width is basically Turdo width.

The front, even though it is wider, uses regular front offset wheels as the lower control arms are moved out 30mm a side.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Apologize if a stupid question but can you get around the front 30mm difference in front with a custom offfset wheel? I wasn't aware about swapping the lower control arms to accommodate. (Or is this not that big a modification?) Again much thanks and forgive for my ignorance.

if you are going RSR, Wheel offsets are basically the same as a any WB car. THe RSR rear width is basically Turdo width.

The front, even though it is wider, uses regular front offset wheels as the lower control arms are moved out 30mm a side.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 PM
trophy
Race Car

Not stupid at all, yes you can make wheels with offset to work, however it messes up your front geometry, handling is then compromised.

To move the suspension out is relatively easy, the mounting holes are already there,. Stock control arms are used (need longer tie rods, and some spacers for brake booster)
Old 03-04-2017, 10:21 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this info and support...
Much appreciated. Thanks

Can anyone chime in on the best fitting rsr fender flare set to go with?
Some suggest GT Racing and others swear Getty only.
Others?

Thanks

Not stupid at all, yes you can make wheels with offset to work, however it messes up your front geometry, handling is then compromised.

To move the suspension out is relatively easy, the mounting holes are already there,. Stock control arms are used (need longer tie rods, and some spacers for brake booster)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

993 RS was built on a 993 n/b C4 chassis, they used the C4 chassis as a base because of the electro-hydaulic brake boost setup used on these cars, If nothing else it allows for the use of a 25.4mm m/c

another possible source for f/g parts is Hahn-GFK in Germany, they use to have some nice RSR flairs for 993n/b, but I'm not familiar w/ their current offerings.

As to front wheel positioning, there are several factors to consider
1) longitudinal position and type.
There are 2 different longitudinals: 964 & 993.
993 push the suspension out 12.5mm more than 964

positioning: inner vs outer mounts the outer are 30mm further outboard than stock inner
so possible combinations are
964 longitudinals in inner holes - 0mm (stock track width) used on stock 964
993 longitudinals in inner holes - +12.5 mm (on each side) used on stock 993
964 longitudinals in outer holes - +30mm (on each side)
993 longitudinals in outer holes - +42.5 mm (on each side)

the wheel width and o/s further affect placement and geometry
993 RSR used 964 longitudinals in outer position, wheels for this are
9.5x18 ET38 & 11x18 ET40 or 10x18 ET32 & 11x18ET40
front tires were either 245 or 265/645 x18 &305/670 x18 note ABS rings are not the same as street
Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

FVD Also sell a kit:
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/91..._Body_Set.html
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

To the original poster while I can appreciate the need to shorten your learning curve and answer most if not all your inquiries before you take the leap on that steep very steep slope , you have to do your own intensive research on the look and outcome you are desiring .
No one here can easily tell you that , we can expose on what it takes to make an RSR , what it takes to complete a GT2 , what is required to reasonably recreate an EVO GT but hey this study and research is where all the fun and success is buried for you not in the spoon-feeding and cut and paste info of what
has been previously discussed.
Not to come off like a harass or know it all but hey I have done this and it mostly up to getting that info
and recreating your vision ..not mine or anyone else.
good luck with your endeavor just read the forum first then you can better ask specific questions or believe
me you'll be all over the place trying to tie the thing all together .
if like any of the rest of us you will have some pitfalls and mistakes this is the process welcome it!!
Bert
oh and it docent hurt to have a shop that at least has seen one before..haha
Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 AM
Jay J
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Turnwald wing; the front lip spoiler is a 1:1 in CF I made- hacking up a Getty; and the sides and flares on mine are GT Racing
Old 03-05-2017, 10:14 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Read as many build Projects on RL as possible many 1-2-3 times.
Searched google and the other search engines for tribute builds as well as other forums from pelican, teamspeed, 6speed, pistonheads and more...
Went and saw a 993 with rsr bodied car last week... have spoken
Live with people, explored Facebook, Pinterest, instagram, etc...
That said, many of these builds are taken on by people with what seems like more experience building P-cars, more in depth understanding of suspension geometry (some are track builds) of the air cooled cars and more. I have added coil overs, springs, spacers etc to my porsches through the years but that's it regards to suspension. I am learning but by no means asking for simple "spoon feeding" of the info with no plan to do Research myself.

I appreciate anyone's help. I have had 997 cars and an active member on that forum with many long thread starts on mods I have done (albeit not to this degree that I am about to embark on), was very active on the 993tt forum when had my RUF turbo R with quite the thread on that car and so forth. Once I get a model porsche I like to think I add as much value to a forum as ask for data and hopefully much more. As I get this project started wanted to start with one pretty encompassing thread asking for people's input. As mentioned, appreciate the support.....

Offer pending on a 993 and if the deal happens to ppi we go and the project will commence.

🙏 Thanks to all for the support, input, ideas...

QUOTE=budge96;14004385]To the original poster while I can appreciate the need to shorten your learning curve and answer most if not all your inquiries before you take the leap on that steep very steep slope , you have to do your own intensive research on the look and outcome you are desiring .
No one here can easily tell you that , we can expose on what it takes to make an RSR , what it takes to complete a GT2 , what is required to reasonably recreate an EVO GT but hey this study and research is where all the fun and success is buried for you not in the spoon-feeding and cut and paste info of what
has been previously discussed.
Not to come off like a harass or know it all but hey I have done this and it mostly up to getting that info
and recreating your vision ..not mine or anyone else.
good luck with your endeavor just read the forum first then you can better ask specific questions or believe
me you'll be all over the place trying to tie the thing all together .
if like any of the rest of us you will have some pitfalls and mistakes this is the process welcome it!!
Bert
oh and it docent hurt to have a shop that at least has seen one before..haha[/QUOTE]

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Thank you, great info.

QUOTE=Bill Verburg;14003510]993 RS was built on a 993 n/b C4 chassis, they used the C4 chassis as a base because of the electro-hydaulic brake boost setup used on these cars, If nothing else it allows for the use of a 25.4mm m/c

another possible source for f/g parts is Hahn-GFK in Germany, they use to have some nice RSR flairs for 993n/b, but I'm not familiar w/ their current offerings.

As to front wheel positioning, there are several factors to consider
1) longitudinal position and type.
There are 2 different longitudinals: 964 & 993.
993 push the suspension out 12.5mm more than 964

positioning: inner vs outer mounts the outer are 30mm further outboard than stock inner
so possible combinations are
964 longitudinals in inner holes - 0mm (stock track width) used on stock 964
993 longitudinals in inner holes - +12.5 mm (on each side) used on stock 993
964 longitudinals in outer holes - +30mm (on each side)
993 longitudinals in outer holes - +42.5 mm (on each side)

the wheel width and o/s further affect placement and geometry
993 RSR used 964 longitudinals in outer position, wheels for this are
9.5x18 ET38 & 11x18 ET40 or 10x18 ET32 & 11x18ET40
front tires were either 245 or 265/645 x18 &305/670 x18 note ABS rings are not the same as street[/QUOTE]

Thanks.... bought from them before and will explore...

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Thanks, your car looks fantastic.

Originally Posted by Jay J
I have Turnwald wing; the front lip spoiler is a 1:1 in CF I made- hacking up a Getty; and the sides and flares on mine are GT Racing

Quick Reply: Wide Body RSR/GT2 like Tribute build... questions?