Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 1,818 Likes on 597 Posts

Sorry, double post.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

coating is a no brainer, because if you have to replace the old crappy porsche heat shields they are $160 lol eeeeeek!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

I have it jacked up in th basement with the exhaust completely off and I fired it up. Now I want the stage 3's.

Name:  IMG_3061_zpsjvlfvswh.png
Views: 117
Size:  775.6 KB

Last edited by Cartod; 02-28-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by Cartod
I have it jacked up in th basement with the exhaust completely off and I fired it up. Now I want the stage 3's.
Yes you do!

Stage III's are the only way to go. I love the sound, and the pops and crackles on downshifts are intoxicating. It never gets old
Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I know reducing heat in the engine house is important but so far I havnt read anything to justify another 225$ for the coating. Right now I'm stuck on just putting back on the heat shields and spending the money on something more worthwhile like whiskey.
I had the same concern and question with regards to the heat protection of the $225 ceramic coating, but never received a definitive response.

A simple test with an IR thermometer would answer the question. One would think at the price point of the coating, FDM would have no problem supplying a % reduction of radiated heat, predicated upon their own in-house test data.

Without a response, I sprayed my Fister II's with a satin black, high temp caliper paint and left the OEM heat shields right where they belong. I did however, modify the heat shield with a cutting wheel to accomodate the cross-over pipe of the Fister II's.

I really think you need to drive the car with the II's and if you still want III's, Darin can mod II's into III's, no problem.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:12 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I have the lll's. Yes, the pops and rasp are intoxicating. But, you need to know there is nothing subtle about them. When I drive down the Main Street of our small town center, the sound echoes off the buildings. Hard to be subtle. I've gotten a few sneers like I am driving faster than I really am. It definitely incites the haters. :-)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
It definitely incites the haters. :-)

Name:  E24ABFBF-6C1F-44FC-9D42-314D6ED73F76_zpsyeggwq1i.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  49.2 KB

Andreas
Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nine9six
I had the same concern and question with regards to the heat protection of the $225 ceramic coating, but never received a definitive response.

A simple test with an IR thermometer would answer the question. One would think at the price point of the coating, FDM would have no problem supplying a % reduction of radiated heat, predicated upon their own in-house test data.

Without a response, I sprayed my Fister II's with a satin black, high temp caliper paint and left the OEM heat shields right where they belong. I did however, modify the heat shield with a cutting wheel to accomodate the cross-over pipe of the Fister II's.

I really think you need to drive the car with the II's and if you still want III's, Darin can mod II's into III's, no problem.
Its too late, Darin has changed my order to stage III (his favorite). I guess my point is that without any mufflers at all, it's not as loud as I thought it would be. I don't think the mufflers are going to make it louder. I made a video of it without any mufflers at all and will post it if I can figure out how, but the car sounds great as it is.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

took me a while to find this, but this discussion regarding coatings was good entertainment as well as educational.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...c-coating.html
Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
took me a while to find this, but this discussion regarding coatings was good entertainment as well as educational.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...c-coating.html
Very entertaining! I can't believe how many people put the coatings on for looks, who in the hell sees them? Unless you're there to unbox and install them it's likely no one will ever get a look at your exhaust! Especially if your car is at ROW height.

Sorry, I'm still not sold on coatings! So, the heat shields will go back on over the dreaded vulnerable bare stainless steel.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Very entertaining! I can't believe how many people put the coatings on for looks, who in the hell sees them? Unless you're there to unbox and install them it's likely no one will ever get a look at your exhaust! Especially if your car is at ROW height.

Sorry, I'm still not sold on coatings! So, the heat shields will go back on over the dreaded vulnerable bare stainless steel.
Lol, hopefully you were saying this with tongue in cheek; but if not...

This is 300 series stainless that has been bare for the past 20+ years as spec'd by Porsche engineering due to the fact that it is very robust against corrosion, and significantly less expensive and lighter than inconel.

Scuff em up with a scotch brite pad, wipe clean with acetone, spray with your favorite color of VHT high temp caliper paint. PUT $200 BACK IN YOUR POCKET

I guess my point is that without any mufflers at all, it's not as loud as I thought it would be.
I hear what you're saying, (pun intended), but with Fister II's, and more so, III's, your car will be significantly louder than it was with the mufflers off. I think you'll enjoy the III's, though...I'm just an old fart! ; )
Actually, I found the tips make things louder. Im running Fabspeed wide ovals.

Last edited by nine9six; 02-28-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure everybody did their homework and read the whole thread, the coating isnt for corrosion resistance, its specifically for containing heat where its supposed to be, and then get passed out the back end. Like Nine said above, the stainless mufflers are all thats needed for corrosion resistance, unless youre backing your car into the ocean for months on end. As for thermal properties of exhaust, thats up to you to decide. I got the coating because I could and decided I liked the science behind it. If you dont, throw your heat shields back on and drive.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I went with the Cermachrome and don't regret it one bit. In the grand scheme of the impracticality of owning this automotive relic, $200 is nothing.

Especially when it's like automotive jewelry:
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I have two pair, one in Cermachrome and the other naked. While naked is good, the Cermachrome looks great when inspecting the wheel well!

Agree with Mark.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

FYI, my girlfriend just came downstairs and started laughing when she saw the mufflers in the family room. She urged me to keep them in the built-ins, so I guess I'll need to buy another pair.

Quick Reply: Sent My Cans To Fister Today And......