993 Forum 1995-1998

Help choosing a DE tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I think they are 8s fronts, Bill. Which would still be 235/40 and 275/35.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

yes, 8" fronts, that was a typo

alternative rear is 285/30 w/ it's gearing advantage and the use adjustable RS sways to tweak undsteer out

the best solution of course is w/ proper springs/shock and bigger front wheels, the wider wheel even w/ the same tire helps a lot.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I recently purchased a set of 996 Turbo hollow-spokes (18x8f, 11r) to dedicate for use as DE wheels on my C4S.

I plan on doing 1-3 DE's a summer, but I'm new at it. I expect to graduate from the Green run group during my first DE this summer, and run in 1-2 Yellow groups by the end of the season.

In my first Green DE in Aug...
I'll 2nd mpruden's advice...big surprise. Your goal in a DE is to learn and there's no better way to learn than on inexpensive, predictable but capable street tires.

The Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs are tailor made for this purpose. Based on your words I quoted - if you're new at this you should focus on car control, balance, and learning how to drive your car safely at speed. Sticky tires mask all kinds of bad habits.

Don't form bad habits by using tires outside of your experience level.

You'll likely burn through the Sumi's in a few DEs anyway - if you feel good about your skill level then upgrade. Seems premature now.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
You can ask Mark in Baltimore as he's the track person and can better verbalize it. But, honestly, a $4K Miata NB with $500 for a set of fresh RE-71Rs on a set of $600 12 lb wheels and $2K suspension with all the consumables being dirt cheap... And not being afraid of stuffing it into the wall... priceless.
Thanks, Mike. Race911 and many other people are even more qualified than me since my Miatas have never seen the track.

Sure, the Miata is an incredible car. However, when I started tracking my 993, I wanted to track (and race) a 911. Years and years of reading about Gregg, Haywood, Ongais, Whittington (), Paul (), Donohue, Holbert, et al. cemented that stupidly romantic notion. Whatever. Guessing the OP just wants to track his 911 and is not considering a more flingable affair. Hard to fault that approach.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

The RE 11's are still available at Tire Rack. Great learning tires for DE and AX. Not as much grip as the the RE 71's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for learning. And they last twice as long as the RE 71's. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=34WR8RE11XLV2

I spent a weekend at Palmer running one day on the Contintental DW's, and the next on the RE 11's. The Continentals held OK, but they screeched like crazy even when just mildly pushed. The RE 11's handled MUCH better, and no screeching until you pushed the limits. The tires talk to you when you need to listen. A great DE tire IMHO.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:59 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spruden
I'll 2nd mpruden's advice...big surprise. Your goal in a DE is to learn and there's no better way to learn than on inexpensive, predictable but capable street tires.

The Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs are tailor made for this purpose. Based on your words I quoted - if you're new at this you should focus on car control, balance, and learning how to drive your car safely at speed. Sticky tires mask all kinds of bad habits.

You'll likely burn through the Sumi's in a few DEs anyway - if you feel good about your skill level then upgrade. Seems premature now.
I think you quoted the wrong words. Here: "I ran my street set of Conti DW's (stock sizes 225/285) and frankly felt like I lacked traction on our challenging course (Mosport). ". Do you truyly feel that HTR Z will have better traction than DW? In my experience, they both don't have enough and HTR Z certainly doesn't have more than DW.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:21 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree that the Sumi HTR ZIII will be worse than the Conti's on track. I don't see any harm in getting something like RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Z2 star spec, Nitto nt05, or Hankook RS3 (if you can find them) and working up to the grip level they can provide. Quick search shows that the nt05 provides a pretty good value proposition in 235/40, 275/35.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I could not have said it better.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
The RE 11's are still available at Tire Rack. Great learning tires for DE and AX. Not as much grip as the the RE 71's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for learning. And they last twice as long as the RE 71's. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=34WR8RE11XLV2

I spent a weekend at Palmer running one day on the Contintental DW's, and the next on the RE 11's. The Continentals held OK, but they screeched like crazy even when just mildly pushed. The RE 11's handled MUCH better, and no screeching until you pushed the limits. The tires talk to you when you need to listen. A great DE tire IMHO.
RE11 show on Back Order on tirerack and they will not be back. They are out of production. I searched hard for 235/40/18 10 weeks ago and there was only one offering on ebay which was $$$.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

+1

Last year at a Thunderhill DE, a coach told our novice group something I thought was pretty clever: When starting out at DEs, choose tires with a treadwear rating *higher* than your car's horsepower rating. That'll help you avoid masking bad habits or getting into dangerous situations.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For 1-3 DEs a year I would not overthink. Any decent tire will do. I started out on Bridgestone SO4s that are even less extreme than RE11s. I used stock 225/285 tires sizes. Now I run nt01s for durability in 225/275 size on 9 and 11 inch wide rims.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by squidge
+1

Last year at a Thunderhill DE, a coach told our novice group something I thought was pretty clever: When starting out at DEs, choose tires with a treadwear rating *higher* than your car's horsepower rating. That'll help you avoid masking bad habits or getting into dangerous situations.
Experienced racers understand that. Inexperience novices stuff their expensive cars on crappy tires into the wall and get upset. Why? Precisely because they don't know how to tell where the limit is.

At autocross, I really, really advise against R comps. But never against the best stickiest street tires. Having grown two students from their first run at their first autocross event to 4 Nationals victories in my 12-13 years of instructing... I'll stick to that. But will always defer to track people to give specific track advise, as it's a different environment.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all the input guys.

It seems like the RE11's are what I'd ideally be looking for: better traction than the UTQG 300-340 DW/V12/HTRZ tires, but not quite as advanced as the other 180-200 options suggested (RE71, AD08R, Direzza, NT01). It's a shame if it's out of production now.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Experienced racers understand that. Inexperience novices stuff their expensive cars on crappy tires into the wall and get upset. Why? Precisely because they don't know how to tell where the limit is.

At autocross, I really, really advise against R comps. But never against the best stickiest street tires.
This pretty much captures my concern. My Conti DW's felt out of place on the track. I think Foxman's feedback echos this.

And despite what a good learning experience it is to run the track on poor tires, I think there's a practical limit to this.

But I'm also open to the thought that I'm being a bad carpenter blaming his tools...
Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 AM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

It breaks the treadwear rule a bit, but I'm a big fan of Michelins if you don't mind spending a little extra. I'm running PS2s on the 911 (due to wanting to stick with OE sizes on the Cup 2s for now) and loved the Pilot Super Sports on my previous 128i both on street and at a DE. I liked Conti DWs on a 335 I had several years ago but never tracked them.

Quick Reply: Help choosing a DE tire?