Sponsored by:

Aston Vantage V12 vs. Audi R8 V10

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Of reliable and sexy Isn't modern Lamborghini Gallardo basically an R8 platform full of VAG parts? If you find that kind of thing sexy, that is.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Disraeli
I would jump into a wood chipper to put an R8 in my garage.
Given my father was in the sawmill industry and this actually happened when I was a kid, I doubt it. Very messy. The guy survived but lost both legs. Hard to shift after that ...
Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Given my father was in the sawmill industry and this actually happened when I was a kid, I doubt it. Very messy. The guy survived but lost both legs. Hard to shift after that ...

Name:  A806D46F-1526-4E18-8FC0-A611465DEA5D_zpsgaxtrwvx.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  62.4 KB

Andreas
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
But there was no R8 back then, what's the point?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C4S 6 speed and an Audi TTS DSG and a V12 Vantage manual 6 speed. Comments in no particular order.
1) Easiest to drive, easy to park yet a surprisingly fast and practical every day car= TTS
2) Nicest interior, most luggage space by far, best gear ratios, most stable at speed, best brakes, good for long journeys. Comes with lethal OEM (in the cold or wet) Pirelli Corsa tires = V12 Vantage.
3) You all have 993's so you know why I am keeping mine.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
But there was no R8 back then, what's the point?
The guy went from an R8 to an R6 after the accident?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
The guy went from an R8 to an R6 after the accident?
Are we counting appendages here?

BTW, a thought. A friend of a friend owns a DB9, I believe. It's a very nice, very refined, very proper gentlemen's car. You can just see taking an understated grey beast to the club and enjoying a sip of proper single malt among the friends, surrounded by wood panels, portraits on the walls, newspaper and cigar in hand, fireplace raging and snowflakes softly falling outside. When I become impotent, I'll definitely consider one as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

You guys should say how you really feel!....I have a buddy who recently bought a "Baby Bond" 09 which is a V-8 and first year for 420? HP naturally aspirated engine. the V-8 , so they say is more nimble than the larger Astons...you have to find the more rare manual, but that car looks and sounds fantastic. Also the build quality looks outstanding.
Having been an Audi guy since owning a few Turbo Quattro Coupes in the early days....I certainly would give the R-8 a shot....
Difficult decision, but a good problem to have. (I have thought about picking up an Aston Vantage manual because of the price point, but do not like the driving position - too horizontal. I think I would look for a 997 for even less money.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 PM
diogo fanha
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never driven an R8 but my uncle owns a DBS and I've been fortune enough to drive it a couple of times. That said, I doubt an R8 can match it. The bild quality in an Aston, the sound of that V12 and the beauty of the english ride is miles away from the R8.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
When I become impotent, I'll definitely consider one as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Surprised no one mentioned the GT4 as a viable option. They can be had for sticker and I'm assuming the depreciation curve would be reasonable.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Surprised no one mentioned the GT4 as a viable option. They can be had for sticker and I'm assuming the depreciation curve would be reasonable.
If you like too high gearing, breaking 3rd gears, breaking strut towers .... (read the forum ... )

Just kidding (sort-of), nice car and you can now see the initial purchasers starting to sell them, more and more on sale. Still asking over MSRP quite a bit, and paying that for a used car ? .... I think you will just need to wait and they will drop a bit.

I almost bought one, but after driving a friend's for a day, I cancelled my allocation. It was not for me, but there seem to be many happy people with it.

What will be interesting is to see the market after they drop off warranty, or the next hot thing comes out.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-04-2017, 01:23 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I think I love GT4's, but I've never driven one or read about the issues.

I love the idea of it as a lil' GT3. Seems to have great tech, and a focus on driving experience. A GT3 would be overkill for my driving level, but I'm keeping the option of a future GT4 in mind for the mid-range future.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My mother had a r8 v10, and now has a v10+. I strongly considered trading my 964 for a vantage v12 a few months ago, so Ive spent some time in all three. I assume you want the first gen r8 v10 as it has a manual?

Interior- quality goes to Aston, tech to Audi. Unless you're buying the refreshed Aston, the infotainment is garbage. Laughable at that price point. The new r8 is light years ahead of the old (which really resembles my 08 rs4) but jts way more functional than the Aston.

Performance- Audi. Just an enjoyable car to drive fast. Aston might sound better, but that's where it ends for me. Gated manual is dope too. We put a fabspeed exhaust on her car. Sounded awesome.
That's being said, the r8 always felt big to me. The Aston shrunk around me as I got comfortable with it. That's matters a lot to me. The v10+ feels even bigger. I think it's marginally wider than the previous gen.

Looks- Aston. Possibly top 5 best looking car ever made. The Audi is no slouch.

Comfort- Aston. It's just more livable. Easier to see out of too. That being said, my mother drove her last r8 through 4 seasons without issue. Getting in/out wasn't an issue for her, and she's 58. The storage space in the r8 is laughable. Not much better than my exige ( from memory). Crazy in a car that's so big.

Wow factor- let's face it, it matters at some level. Aston is a bespoke car whereas the Audi feels factory made. The Aston feels like is more of an occasion to drive.

Dependability- can't comment on the Aston, but personally know a few r8s that all had ac issues, which is major surgery. The dealer had my moms car for 6 weeks. The clutch peddle squeaked like crazy too. Otherwise it was flawless.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:03 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
My mother had a r8 v10, and now has a v10+. I strongly considered trading my 964 for a vantage v12 a few months ago, so Ive spent some time in all three. I assume you want the first gen r8 v10 as it has a manual?

Interior- quality goes to Aston, tech to Audi. Unless you're buying the refreshed Aston, the infotainment is garbage. Laughable at that price point. The new r8 is light years ahead of the old (which really resembles my 08 rs4) but jts way more functional than the Aston.

Performance- Audi. Just an enjoyable car to drive fast. Aston might sound better, but that's where it ends for me. Gated manual is dope too. We put a fabspeed exhaust on her car. Sounded awesome.
That's being said, the r8 always felt big to me. The Aston shrunk around me as I got comfortable with it. That's matters a lot to me. The v10+ feels even bigger. I think it's marginally wider than the previous gen.

Looks- Aston. Possibly top 5 best looking car ever made. The Audi is no slouch.

Comfort- Aston. It's just more livable. Easier to see out of too. That being said, my mother drove her last r8 through 4 seasons without issue. Getting in/out wasn't an issue for her, and she's 58. The storage space in the r8 is laughable. Not much better than my exige ( from memory). Crazy in a car that's so big.

Wow factor- let's face it, it matters at some level. Aston is a bespoke car whereas the Audi feels factory made. The Aston feels like is more of an occasion to drive.

Dependability- can't comment on the Aston, but personally know a few r8s that all had ac issues, which is major surgery. The dealer had my moms car for 6 weeks. The clutch peddle squeaked like crazy too. Otherwise it was flawless.
You lost me after "my mother has a V10+" Oh and pictures or it didn't happen (the mother...we know what the car looks like

Quick Reply: Aston Vantage V12 vs. Audi R8 V10