993 Forum 1995-1998

Right headlight glare

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 02:24 AM
ddllmcb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right headlight glare

Greetings: I am tall enough (191cm) that in my 1996 Targa, a crescent of light at the top of the right headlight glares in my eyes. Have any solutions been tried? Painting out the glare area with black enamel paint seems simple, but I would want to have a stencil to achieve a perfect arc, and do both sides for symmetry.

Any experience on this?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

The lens can easily be removed from the headlight pod to do what you suggest. If your lens is the original the clips that hold the lens are melted to seal them in. In such case use a mat knife to trim the melted part off w/o damaging the clips. In this case use care to not crack the 20 year old clips when separating the lens from the pod. Once you have the lens off you can consider using a little stain glass hobby paint from a crafts store to add a little edge block to the lens. By adding it inside the lens it is not subject to the elements. Doing it on both lenses L&R may be a good idea however during the day it may not be really visible to a great extent. Good luck on your idea. In any event if it doesn't work out it is completely reversible so why not try? If you do it take some pictures for the rest of us!

Andy

PS The hardest part may be slipping the headlight pods back into position. A little silicone or Teflon spray on the tracks an a little rubbed with your finger on the electrical interface seals makes this a lot easier.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:18 PM
ddllmcb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, thank you for this! I will give some careful thought, and will document anything interesting. dd

Quick Reply: Right headlight glare