Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Race seats and harness bar install

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 6'3 and needed to mount my track seats (Sparco halo) to the floor & pull the bottom seat cushion.
I had to relocate the control unit under the seat further back in order to do this. Even with these changes I still only have about 1-2 in. of headroom.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K993
I'm 6'3 and needed to mount my track seats (Sparco halo) to the floor & pull the bottom seat cushion.
I had to relocate the control unit under the seat further back in order to do this. Even with these changes I still only have about 1-2 in. of headroom.
One things I noticed, for tall guys, is that the rollbar for most cars is BELOW your head. Due to the curvature of the roof in a 911, the further back the rollbar is, the lower it sits. If this were a convertible, you wouldn't meet the "broomstick test."

When I mounted my rollbar, I put it as far forward as I could, and its slightly in front of the b-pillar. There is about 8 inches from the back of my head, to the roll bar - so, plenty of room. This allowed the rollbar to sit as high as humanly possible.

Some of the rollbars I have seen in pics are mounted 6-8 inches BEHIND the b-pillar. If you draw a parallel line to the ground running to the top of the rollbar, you will see that the helmet is ABOVE that line. You may be below the roof, but you aint below the roll bar.

Perhaps it doesn't matter?

Even if you have a solid 2 inches of space between your helmet and the roof, if the car flips over with force, your body will travel way more than 2 inches cranially... IE. You will be hitting your roof with serious force. When you see some of the harness testing video's, your body travels a foot forward in a frontal collision. That suggests, you would travel more than 2 inches upwards in a roof collision...

Not trying to be moribund, but this stuff is concerning. But realistically, nothing you can do about it...

Rollbar seems very helpful in as slow rollover, where the car just flips over as its stopping.

In a forceful hit, wouldn't your head be striking the roof really hard?

Quick Reply: Race seats and harness bar install