Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of regeared trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts

You didn't say what you mean by "regear." If that's a /31 recreation with steel syncros, upgraded shift forks, RS mainshaft, all six gears replaced, and motorsports LSD, that's a modification that a decent percentage of the market would consider quite valuable. Or you could swap it out for a /20 stocker and sell it for $15K to the sizable market of current 993 owners who'd love to have a turnkey RS gearbox. Or "regear" could mean 3, 4, and 5 replaced to create an almost-RS box but without all the spendy upgrade parts, in which case the car maybe is worth an extra $500-$1,500.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyerx
^^^ You and me both.

Here's deal, i'm the monkey that will pay more for that sort of stuff. But I'm of the self-realization I'm "NOT" the typical buyer.
Interesting, so the value proposition here is finding maybe thirty seven "not typical" buyers with an "increased understanding of mods and value" on the Rennlist forum vs the rest of the planet who might just be looking for a clean sheet of paper to work with.

Last edited by Disraeli; 12-12-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You have 79 posts. When you figure out Rennlist, get back to me. Until then, I suggest you read up a bit.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Originally Posted by JPS
You have 79 posts. When you figure out Rennlist, get back to me. Until then, I suggest you read up a bit.
Fair enough. I apologize if I offended.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:02 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Those who live in glass houses...
Old 12-12-2016, 11:08 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been here for a decade (edit: nearly 15 years) and Rennlist understands mods better than most. What exactly is your point? I always learn a ton from you and others, ilko, not sure what you are getting at.

Last edited by JPS; 12-12-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
regeared means many things as there are lots of ways to regear a tranny.

Andy
Not only this, but not all parts are created equal. You can get a Wavetrac diff for $1500, mine costs twice that. Does it have brand new gears with the new synchros and bearings? Or are these gears that have been in there for 10 years of track use and the box just got new synchros and bearings prior to sale? In short, without a build sheet and full history it might not even be worth the same thing as a good condition G50/20.

I recently talked to a guy who bought a "regeared tranny. It had a GT3 3rd gear, 993 stock 4th gear, Gt3 5th gear and stock 5th gear in 6th. You can chart it but it was a trainwreck. Seller hooked the guy with "GT3 gears" and other fancy words and buyer just popped for it without doing homework. Also claimed "new" synchros... Well, 2 out of the 6 gears had new synchros.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:16 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Originally Posted by JPS
Excuse me? I've been here for a decade and Rennlist understands mods better than most. What exactly is your point?
I acknowledge that you know more about these cars than I ever will. That'll never be in dispute.

I was merely pointing out the fact that some folks might prefer the Harrison Ford who was just released from Carbonite to the one we just saw in whatever that was.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not only this, but not all parts are created equal.
True dat. Fair ask on the clarification. Mine was $11k when done including new OEM 2-5, synchros, etc, and refreshed 1k miles ago, again with OEM at Deman Motorsport. My ask was assuming (whoops, assumed) a quality rebuild, not some schlock house, including OEM LSD, etc.

A small number of people might find it appealing as long as the rest of the car is up to their liking. But the more you modify a car the smaller the pool of buyers is for it.
Agreed. True of any mod. And why I'm not asking in other forums. I'm asking here, because here has a higher density of people who would value such a quality mod.
As Steve Weiner once told me.......a properly regeared transmission will feel as though you have added 50 horsepower to the engine.
For exactly that reason.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I acknowledge that you know more about these cars than I ever will. That'll never be in dispute.
Reset. I will never claim to know an iota compared to many gurus here, nor have I ever attempted to come across this way. For all I know you are a guru and I will learn a ton from you. I come here to learn and if any any small way I can share something of value I try to do so. But I certainly attempted and still attempt not to **** in people's threads.

My point is that the Rennlist crowd, while not necessarily representative of the masses of Craigslist 996 purchasers, is generally more knowledgeable and seeking of quality mods than the general public. To imply that there are 37 odd ***** on a long time enthusiast site is not a good way to ingratiate yourself. But to answer your question, yes that is the value proposition...like almost all quality mods, they are of more value to some and less value to others. I've generally found that up to a point, the bigger the mod, the less value to many and the more value to a diminishing few.

Part of Rennlist's value in times past was an enthusiastic discussion of the vehicle and pros and cons of certain approaches. In recent years it has take a step down in quality due to non-value added posts such as the one in question.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default I am starting to feel guilty that ....

I had my box re-geared. I must confess I love it. Stock 1st and 2nd, didn't see any reason to change them...they seem fine to me. Changed out 3rd though 6th. Also added forged shifting forks and steel synchs. I also had Guard rebuild my stock LDS to 4 plates prior to the re-gear. My tech, Lance Aspesi, used all Porsche gears. Do I regret it? Not one bit....well except the long 6th gear, good for low RPM long range cruising....don't do much of that. I did have the option of using the stock 6th.
Attached Files
Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Originally Posted by JPS
Reset. I will never claim to know an iota compared to many gurus here, nor have I ever attempted to come across this way. For all I know you are a guru and I will learn a ton from you. I come here to learn and if any any small way I can share something of value I try to do so. But I certainly attempted and still attempt not to **** in people's threads.

My point is that the Rennlist crowd, while not necessarily representative of the masses of 996 purchasers, is generally more knowledgeable and seeking of quality mods than the general public. To imply that there are 37 odd ***** on a long time enthusiast site is not a good way to ingratiate yourself.

Part of Rennlist's value in times past was an enthusiastic discussion of the vehicle and pros and cons of certain approaches. In recent years it has take a step down in quality due to non-value added posts such as the one in question.
Point taken, JPS. I've spent enough time in other forums (mostly financial) to understand why you'd take umbrage at my post.

You guys are the reason why most of the rest of us even bother to read this thing. Part of my own conundrum since first acquiring my car is whether to leave it alone or not.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:41 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^ Peace and thanks and welcome to Rennlist.

That is a scary slope you are staring down. Slippery too. I started in 2004 with "No way I'm going to drill to put a rollbar in for the track." My sig line pales in comparison to many here, but still ain't cheap. But a lot more fun than stock. In just my own opinion.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had my box re-geared.
Someday I want a ride in this beast, Martin. You make me jealous. Glad you have it.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Jos,I think that crowed mostly moved on. Few enthusiasts left even fewer who track and care enough about mods. How many 993s do you see on race tracks and how many of them are driven on track often? Maybe 2-3 993s from each region tops. Many moved on to faster/better performing or cheaper cars. So yea market for modded 993 is very small. Look at paddy'a car...that's like an ultimate build for less than gt3 money that can do WGI at gt3 pace (well almost depending who is driving)... I believe it's still for sale and it would take a very special buyer.

Quick Reply: Value of regeared trans