Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Goldenrod Dehumidifier for Winter Storage in NE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:29 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Goldenrod Dehumidifier for Winter Storage in NE?

I know there numerous winter storage tips threads, but I am eager to hear the group's thoughts on the following product that I newly came across: "GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier".

In essence, it is a rod that radiates a minimal amount of heat and is originally intended to serve as a dehumidifier in gun safes. Since I am in the northeast with an unheated garage, I am eager to remove all possibility of condensation.

I have heard of leaving a light bulb continuously on under the car to warm the metal a bit relative to surroundings but have not tried that. This goldenrod sounds like a similar and possibly more efficient approach, but wondering if it gets warm enough to be useful. Has anyone tried it?

I am considering running one inside the car too to prevent possible mold. Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:54 AM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might check out a dehumidifier fan popular with boat owners and sold at marine stores. Mine is about the size of a dinner plate and 4" high. It sits on a piece of plywood on the cabin floor and emits continuous warm air. Its much safer than the light bulb idea and cleaner than chemicals that absorb moisture.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-28-2023)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:55 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a moisture absorbing product and leave it in the cabin of the car. If your garage is small, you could leave one (or more) in the garage to absorb the moisture in the air.

In Canada, we have a readily available product called Dri-z-air. I keep it in both of my stored cars and it works amazingly well at keeping the interior humidity low. Eliminates all concern of musty smell, or worse, surface mold.

For me, I have a simple recipe for storage:
1. Clean the car
2. Put moisture absorber in the cabin (change it every 1-2months)
3. Battery maintainer
4. Fuel stabilizer

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dr...-0790014p.html
Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Ive used this in my interior for my MGA in an unheated garage and it works just fine. I did attach it to a base and seemed to work well
Old 11-16-2016, 01:45 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the Golden Rod is designed to work in your car with the doors and windows closed. Not sure how good it will work places on the floor or wall of your garage. I have one in my gun safe and it works great for that.

Why don't you look into a split unit A/C Heat for the garage, the prices have come down. I have 4 of them in different garages and they work the best.

This is just a random Google search http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-V...s/N-5yc1vZc4m1
Old 11-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Default thanks

Thank you for the insight. I've tried the dessicant approach inside the car, but I don't think it can handle my modest 2 car garage. A future project involves insulation, so until that happens the split unit will have to wait.
Rockit, I agree that the goldenrod is not designed to deliver utility under the car. Why wouldn't a 100 W bulb under the engine do the trick?
Maybe there is an electric blanket type device that can be rolled out under the car that can provide a mild warming effect to ward off condensation.
This makes me remember reading about a Japanese (?) submarine/aircraft carrier that enabled a plane to warm up rapidly by circulating its oil to an external heater.....genius.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your better off then with just a electric heater with a thermostat set on 50 degrees.

I think the car rusts/corrodes more in the humidity of the summer than the cold of the winter.

If your that worried work towards the split unit year round.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Isn't Humidity little to non existent in the Winter?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is when there IS moist air, it will condense on the cold surfaces.

I probably replace my desiccant twice over the winter. Cheap, easy, and works perfectly. I've had musty and mold issues with other stored cars in the past. But never since I started using this method. The interior smells like a 993 should - oily!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:58 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
I believe the Golden Rod is designed to work in your car with the doors and windows closed. Not sure how good it will work places on the floor or wall of your garage. I have one in my gun safe and it works great for that.

Why don't you look into a split unit A/C Heat for the garage, the prices have come down. I have 4 of them in different garages and they work the best.

This is just a random Google search http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-V...s/N-5yc1vZc4m1
Rockit,

For your garages, do you have insulation in the walls? I have a normal size 2 car garage, just installed a lift, plan on doing some car work over the winter. The split unit AC/heat looks attractive. I could get blow-in insulation, don't want to take off the drywall. Figure on 50-55 during the winter, 80 during the summer. Garage rarely gets below 32 as it stands (attached).

I'm up in Morris County.

Dave
95 C2
03 540i6
Old 11-16-2016, 07:23 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a word of caution before plugging a Chinese POS into an electric outlet left unattended. run proper heat (or HVAC) for your garage or do nothing. unless you want to chance burning your house down. dont ask how i know.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 11-18-2016 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GoTime (10-27-2023)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

There is no/very little humidity when the temperature is below freezing so winter is a non-issue. A hygrometer in my unheated garage and no brake rust tell me so. A dehumidifier is necessary on humid spring and fall days though. A hygrometer and brake rust tell me so.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, you have this backwards. I've lived in NE my entire life and the problem we have in the winter is it's too dry. Cold air = brutally dry air.

All I've done for decades is crack the windows (battery tender connected to the lighter plug), dust cover, inflate tires to max PSI (prevents flat spotting), Stabil Marine, and full tank of gas.

Never had a moisture / condensation issue (and never will with the cold sucking the moisture out of everything all winter long).
Old 11-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

@ronnie993tt: I like the way you frame your statements clearly with metrics of success. I wish every conversation I have with a contractor (or even every conversation I have with an opinionated person) was framed this way. I keep reading about recommendations to place a plastic sheet or carpet over the slab above which your car is parked. This is what is leading me to believe others have observed a winder condensation problem. Can anything go wrong with a 100W bulb under the engine for a small bot of warmth? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:40 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Paolo1 - yes, something can go wrong with a 100w bulb under the engine (wiring short, gas leak, fire, explosion, total loss, etc.). It doesn't need any warmth - it's an air cooled uber-car designed in Germany for severe weather, which we don't get in New England.

Quick Reply: Goldenrod Dehumidifier for Winter Storage in NE?