993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 05:54 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Oil leak question

So I had a top end rebuild done on the 993 this spring. Car is running great and using virtually no oil which I'm super happy about. Noticed however a few drips of oil on my garage floor (car never leaked before). Took it back to the shop that did the Topend and they said the cleaned everything up, drove the car and put the car on the hoist to see where the leak was coming from. They mentioned the case bolt was leaking. Forgive my ignorance however would this leak be a result of something done when the top end was done or is it purely coincidental?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Derek
Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Should be unrelated as the case is the bottom half of the engine. You can address the issue or not. your call.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Did they bother to tell you that the case bolt was leaking before you paid for the top end??
Old 11-11-2016, 06:09 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Didn't see a leak or drip until a few months after the fact!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
Didn't see a leak or drip until a few months after the fact!
That's unfortunate, but it does happen. This article may be of some interest. For what its worth both my 993's have through bolt leaks - just a matter of time before I do the overhauls. Good luck, and hold onto your wallet. http://www.instant-g.com/WordPress/p...h-bolt-leakage
Old 11-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
So I had a top end rebuild done on the 993 this spring. Car is running great and using virtually no oil which I'm super happy about. Noticed however a few drips of oil on my garage floor (car never leaked before). Took it back to the shop that did the Topend and they said the cleaned everything up, drove the car and put the car on the hoist to see where the leak was coming from. They mentioned the case bolt was leaking. Forgive my ignorance however would this leak be a result of something done when the top end was done or is it purely coincidental?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Derek
Before taking their word for it do some research

brake cleaner is great for cleaning oil, spray it on wipe w/ a rag.

One everything is clean it's easier to see where the oil is coming from

Do the top of the shroud and under the intake as a common source of leaks is the intake manifold, oil tends to collect in the intake valleys and around the flap operators. This is particularly true when oil level is kept near the max and high revs are seen. I keep my oil levels towards the bottom to alleviate this.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup, totally agree with the oil levels. Got cars coming into the shop with "high oil consumption" - check the oil level and it's at the top or even over. My advice it to keep it at most 1/3 up the stick when fully warm. Most of the guys who do that notice their oil consumption drops dramatically. They also notice the car does not have as much of the "air cooled aroma" because its not consuming the oil. Much easier on the cats as well.

Some of these also use the oil level gauge on the dash - DO NOT BELIEVE IT UNTIL YOU CALIBRATE. You can do this by comparing the stick to the guage and understanding the difference, or by pulling the sensor during an oil change and bending the float rod to adjust. It takes time to understand what this gauge is telling you. Definitely done over a dozen sensor calibrations now ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-12-2016, 09:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

If the oil leak is not dripping on your exhaust and smelling up your car you might consider just leaving it alone. There may be a minimally invasive fix I am not aware of, especially if the leak is around a fastener.

Last edited by pp000830; 11-12-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got the same diagnosis when I took my car in at the end of this season. My car is currently getting a bottom end rebuild. Not cheap but I am promised to get all 272 hp back after the rebuild.

I have 113k miles on the car so maybe the timing is not that surprising??

Quick Reply: Oil leak question