Clutch slow to engage? stuck in gear when started on hill

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:07 PM
m635dude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slow to engage? stuck in gear when started on hill

Hello everyone,

So I've had my 993 for not even 2 months now and I'm experiencing some odd clutch issues. It's been doing this since I picked it up but has gotten worse lately.

'95 c2 6mt cab 83k miles

* When parked in gear on a slight grade with no e-brake, the car doesn't want to come out of gear when I get back into it. After starting it in gear , sometimes it still doesn't want to come out of gear. After the second time of noticing I've since used the E-brake religiously, so not sure if its gotten better or worse.

* When shifting out of second at low speeds, sometimes after putting the clutch in, the clutch is slow to engage and it takes a second or two. This has been getting worse and worse. Sometimes it seems like if I really hit the clutch hard and fast, it operates as it should. Other times with this technique it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't lag / delay at all. I really notice it when coming to a stop and trying to get neutral from second. Makes for slow up shifting as well at times.

* My clutch pedal doesn't always return to its full out position. A quick toe bump brings it up to normal. Again, sometimes it does this, others not as much. Mostly pronounced in 1st gear. Every time though it returns at least to the point of engagement. Just stops an inch or so short.

* I bled the slave and got some nasty fluid. Afterwards the clutch felt more direct, but it didn't really seem to affect the clutch delay issue.

* No slippage or anything like that other than it was a tad chattery when trying to start reversing. Either the disks cleaned up or I've just gotten better at not letting it chatter , but I am not noticing that nearly as much as before.

The car is still drive able, but in the city, coming to a stop and trying to take it out of second while moving is when it's the worst. Rev matching has no delay and aggressive driving with "quick" shifting doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I've searched all over the net and can't seem to find anyone who's experienced something quite like this. The clutch return could also be a completely different issue? Pedal box needs cleaned / rebuilt?

Next step for me is to the re-bleed the system including brakes even though they feel great. Suggestions?!?!?!

Thanks - Adam West
Old 10-28-2016, 04:28 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. I have never been in the habit of using the transmission to hold a parked car on hill, so cannot comment on that.

2. All the other symptoms seem to be related to master/slave cylinder. Keep bleeding he system.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:30 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Absolutely bleed the entire system, including ABD if your car is so equipped.

Also sounds like the clutch/flywheel shaft spline may have gone dry.

But what do I know...

P.S. I'm with Vince on his item 1. That's a no-no, which puts undue stress on gear teeth. Always, shift to neutral, use your E-brake, and then put into gear for added safety.

If you are using your gear because your E-brake does not hold your car on the slight grade, then its probably a good idea to fix the root cause, (E-brake drum, shoes and adjustment) rather than a work around that could cause additional issues in the future.

I do not however, believe your clutch issue is related leaving your car in gear on the slight incline.

Last edited by nine9six; 10-28-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:49 PM
m635dude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nine9six
Absolutely bleed the entire system, including ABD if your car is so equipped.

Also sounds like the clutch/flywheel shaft spline may have gone dry.

But what do I know..

P.s. I'm with Vince on his item 1.
First time hearing about the shaft spline issue. Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like it could def be the issue. One step at a time before dropping the engine though lol.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by m635dude
First time hearing about the shaft spline issue. Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like it could def be the issue. One step at a time before dropping the engine though lol.
Yeah I hear ya! I'd want to be in denial too! Unfortunately, its not to say this issue has not occured before.

Lemme see if I can drum up some example threads for you...

OK, here's what I found.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...h-mileage.html

And here

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ch-judder.html

And here

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...put-shaft.html

...Just to name a few.

HTH!

Last edited by nine9six; 10-28-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Don't agree with you on #1. Never put the weight of car on the transmission. That's what I was taught. I always apply the E-Brake first then put in in 2nd Gear for back-up. Could be a number of issues related to the Clutch. Take it over to Sewickley Porsche ask for the service manager Duane Smith...they know our cars very well and where mine gets serviced.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Engage ebrake with car out of gear or clutch in. Take foot off of brake peddle to load ebrake with weight of car, take foot off clutch or put in gear. This will eliminate binding of shifter on a hill when parking.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:24 PM
m635dude
Intermediate

Regarding the "don't park in gear" thing, it's not like I'm parking somewhere in San Fransisco where even locking it in gear with the brake on still might not do you any good lol.

Here's my logic: After a lapping session at your favorite race track, do you A) pull the parking brake and leave it in neutral. B) Put in gear, no brake. C) No brake, leave it in neutral?

Thanks so much though Nine9six for pulling those up for me. I found the first and third one while looking but not the second one. Interesting to see the judder might be from this as well. Is there a way to just spray a bunch of oil up and around the clutch? Maybe some PB blaster? lol.

Gbos1: Sewickley is definitely the best place around for almost anything. I have known there new sales manager Dwight Woodside since I was literally about 4 years old. Back when Auto Palace would have buffets every Saturday for basically whomever showed up. Things have changed a bit since then.... My goal though is to do all of the work myself on this car. I definitely might contact them for some input; the kind thats not buried in the back of my car. Also the last cars and coffee is tomorrow. I'll be there in a 1965 Alfa Sprint Speciale. Hope to cya there.

Last edited by m635dude; 10-28-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by m635dude
Regarding the "don't park in gear" thing, it's not like I'm parking somewhere in San Fransisco where even locking it in gear with the brake on still might not do you any good lol.

Here's my logic: After a lapping session at your favorite race track, do you A) pull the parking brake and leave it in neutral. B) Put in gear, no brake. C) No brake, leave it in neutral?

Thanks so much though Nine9six for pulling those up for me. I found the first and third one while looking but not the second one. Interesting to see the judder might be from this as well. Is there a way to just spray a bunch of oil up and around the clutch? Maybe some PB blaster? lol.

Gbos1: Sewickley is definitely the best place around for almost anything. I have known there new sales manager Dwight Woodside since I was literally about 4 years old. Back when Auto Palace would have buffets every Saturday for basically whomever showed up. Things have changed a bit since then.... My goal though is to do all of the work myself on this car. I definitely might contact them for some input; the kind thats not buried in the back of my car. Also the last cars and coffee is tomorrow. I'll be there in a 1965 Alfa Sprint Speciale. Hope to cya there.
Wow that's awesome! Yeah the guys at Sewickley are top notch nothing but great things to say and again know our cars well. Yeah believe it or not I used to detail cars at the Auto Palace when I was a young kid! Remember Fuzzy? Saw him on the Velocity Channel a few times now on "What's my Car Worth?" Yes Auto Palace has changed allot since them. I remember all the Lambos, Ferraris, Lotus etc..... just lots of them there...those days are gone. I am going to swing by C&C and will look for you. That Alfa is a beauty!

Quick Reply: Clutch slow to engage? stuck in gear when started on hill