993 Forum 1995-1998

Immobiliser/alarm, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:17 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Immobiliser/alarm, etc.

I have been having issues with my immobilizer/remotes/alarm etc., for a while now, and finally was forced to repair the system as the car would periodically not start, remotes would not operate door locks, alarm would arm itself, alarm would go off if key was used to open doors, etc., etc., etc.

I have noticed that when removing the ignition key, sometimes, the system would still think that the key was in ignition.

Replaced the ignition key assembly and problems have all gone away.

For now.

Next step will be to have immobilizer disabled. Hope that is not necessary.

Phil
Old 10-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

Who can disable the immobilizer? I hear stories like this and just dread the day. What a PITA! Glad you got it resolved Phil!

Last edited by Gbos1; 10-26-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:55 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Congrats Phil! Nice job.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:55 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I disabled my immobilizer two years ago and have been thankful ever since. To disable the immobilizer requires two things. First, the immobilizer has to be disabled in the ECU. There are several companies in the country that can do this. Steve Weiner has a firm on the west cost that disables immobilizers for his customers. On the East coast, Ive used ECU Doctors located in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The cost to disable the immobilizer is about $500 with ECU Doctors.

With the ECU functionality disabled, you will be able to start your car without double clicking your key fob. However, you will get an idiot light appearing in your clock that indicates that the system is dysfunctional. To fix this item (and to eliminate the idiot light), you simply have to replace the relay that controls your starter with a jumper plug. The jumper cost me about $30.

Now I have a car that is a joy to start! BTW, the key fob is still used to lock/unlock the car which i s nice.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:38 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by fullbooker
I have been having issues with my immobilizer/remotes/alarm etc., for a while now, and finally was forced to repair the system as the car would periodically not start, remotes would not operate door locks, alarm would arm itself, alarm would go off if key was used to open doors, etc., etc., etc.

I have noticed that when removing the ignition key, sometimes, the system would still think that the key was in ignition.

Replaced the ignition key assembly and problems have all gone away.

For now.

Next step will be to have immobilizer disabled. Hope that is not necessary.

Phil
The 993 immobilizer ECU is very reliable and rarely if ever fails. Some mis-diagnose system
problems and assume it's the ECU and have it "rebuilt" or have the function removed from the
DME ECM, a waste of money for most.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:18 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
The 993 immobilizer ECU is very reliable and rarely if ever fails. Some mis-diagnose system
problems and assume it's the ECU and have it "rebuilt" or have the function removed from the
DME ECM, a waste of money for most.
No disagreement here, but it seems repair facilities providing the frustrated a fix at a dear price. Free enterprise system at work, thats all.

...And if one does not know who to trust to correctly diagnose, where else does one turn?

Quick Reply: Immobiliser/alarm, etc.