993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help with sunroof liner problem please

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Need help with sunroof liner problem please

I had a complete respray a few months back after having the rust around the front screen fixed for the second time.

The shop did a first class job on the paint and rust repair but other items have really let me down.

I won’t go into then all here but the latest ‘fix’ after the respray relates to the sunroof.

The front weather seal was too high and not properly glued and the inside front corners of the sunroof liner were all bunched up.

After hours of searching I finally built up the nerve to remove the sunroof liner to fix the vinyl. In doing so I found the culprit for the bunched vinyl, see post 14 on https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...roof-help.html for an explanation as to what was wrong.

Anyway, my question relates the black hard plastic sliders on the two outside edges of the sunroof liner. Should these be glued in place? The ones on my sunroof liner easily come off.

TIA - Greg
Old 10-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 10-28-2016, 01:42 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure what black plastic sliders you mean... can you post a pic?
Old 10-28-2016, 03:29 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

The pictures show the the right underside of the sunroof liner with the black plastic liner just to the right. You may be able to see where they were fitted over the edge.
Attached Images    
Old 10-28-2016, 04:33 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Ok, I see what you mean - but sorry, can't answer your question as I haven't pulled the sunroof liner out of the roof.

When I removed my sunroof panel, I detached the headliner piece and slid it back into the roof. So I've never seen the black sliders myself.

Nonetheless, I'd venture to say that if they are coming off very easily, you might want to use a bit of glue eg contact cement to hold them on. They look like they might have been a friction fit originally but if the u-channel profile has expanded a bit they may not have the gripping power they once did. You probably don't want them to be falling off randomly inside the roof.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:01 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Greg, just reglued the front and back on my liner. The black runner you referred to was held pretty securely. I would not be surprised if there was a little glue used to hold in place, but I did not see any evidence.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:41 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

no glue
Old 10-28-2016, 04:52 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No glue ... but does anyone know where I can get new ones. The ones that I have are brittle and broken and it would be nice to replace. I do not see them in the PET

- Frank
Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tangentially related questions for OP (or anyone else who knows):

- Did the front weatherseal being to high cause any problems? (Mine was placed also too high after windscreen rust repair, and I'm wondering if it's causing the wind noise I can't yet locate).

- Is it possible to take the liner out without doing all the work of taking out the sunroof panel itself?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

geolab, no glue. Are they supposed to stay in place or move around? If they're supposed to move around then shouldn't be a problem 'cos they're quite loose.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:18 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

they are supposed to stay in place, and I always wiped them with some light transparent grease
Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Thanks geolab, I guess mine are a little worn and perhaps they'll need a little super glue to hold them in place.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:09 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Might be better to use weathersrrip adhesive or contact cement, which will flex better. Super glue is more brittle and will crack / separate from vinyl with little provocation.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I never found after extensive searching.

I bought the clear report covers at Staples, with the plastic binder that looks sort of the same. I tried a couple to find the one closest in size.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:48 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same issue earlier this year when I did a full strip and rebuild of my sunroof. My plastic strips had slid off at some point and I found them at the back of the sunroof cavity. They were very brittle and cracked so I could not reuse them. Despite pouring over the PET and asking UK dealers and posting in all the forums I was unable to locate a part number - I think you only get these when you buy the complete sunroof liner assembly :-(

in the end I did as above and used some A4 slde binders like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-Black-...item4d4d7bb4c8

I found that 3mm was a good fit with 6mm being to large to fit in the sunroof channel. I cut the length down a little to match the original part size.

Quick Reply: Need help with sunroof liner problem please