993 Forum 1995-1998

Tell your tale about Tail of the Dragon in your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
A beautiful part of the country. Maybe one day I'll make the drive. Have to be careful though.

A co-worker of mine was injured there about two weeks ago. He was found after 30 hours; a very fortunate man.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/drago...rash/340248517
Oh man what a sad story for your friend and even sadder for his friend RIP. was there debris in the road? Or did they hit each other? That's bad news they both went over on separate bikes it sounds like.

I did the Dragon on my drive home trip in my 993. I can see how it is dangerous. It is a narrow road to begin with and it brings new meaning to the term 'blind corner'. There's not that many of them that are truly blind but when I did it I had the misfortune of passing 2 vehicles coming the other way at blind corners. Literally there is nothing and then there is a car right in your face. Even if you are painting the white, if someone coming the other way is over the yellow at all, it's prob not going to end well.

But It is a fun road and I'd do it again preferably early on a weekday. As many have said, that whole area around the Great Smoky Mountains is beautiful and deserving of a roadtrip to explore.

This first shot is approaching with the Smoky Mountains in the distance. When you can see that, you know you are in for some fun.
Attached Images    
Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Oh man what a sad story for your friend and even sadder for his friend RIP. was there debris in the road? Or did they hit each other? That's bad news they both went over on separate bikes it sounds like.

Yes, separate bikes. Looking at the video on that link, it appears that debris in the road is what caught the rescuer's attention. Thank God he was observant and stopped to investigate.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:42 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

A group of us went back in 2011. Great trip that ended not so well... The local authorities were alerted of an alleged group of cars "racing". Next town up they had a roadblock based on these rumors... The accused with fancy VW's were never proven guilty... Simply shook us down and let us go...
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Tell your tale about Tail of the Dragon in your Porsche