Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need purchase advice on 993 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:10 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think color makes a huge difference. That's my finding. I just purchased a 98 C2S after a lot of shopping, some offers discussed and accepted for other cars, etc. I have data points on what dealers would have taken, and what private parties would have taken. The aerokit is also a love/hate thing. If that car was a non-aerokit with black interior, for instance, I think it would be worth more in the market. The blue interior has to appeal to the right customer, and I think a more limited audience. As an example, if this car had black interior I would have bought it in a heartbeat for full asking price.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...01474017&Log=0

All things considered, assuming perfect condition, no paint, etc., for the right buyer, I say $90-110k.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:11 PM
texasnoiz
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In my novice research of 993's I noticed that lower miles increases prices dramatically. Next is color combo's. I found this '97 C2 50k mi serviced / maintained at quite reputable shops - spoke to the gentlemen who actually worked on the car and vouched in favor of it. White on tan. Had PPI done regardless of what they said and in fact each thing they said was true. Comparable cars with slightly less or more miles were going for around the same money but this one had new turbo brakes BBS LM's PSS10's Quaife LSD Fister exhaust mod. Point is, to me these were value adding mods that I would have done anyways since I just cannot drive a completely stock car. So I paid a fair price for the car in that color - the mods were there but I didn't add them to figure what I thought was fair. The low miles fetching big dollars can get pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Friend or not, watch out.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:23 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i think rudy may be low - i would say 95-105 is fair price if car is clean w clean history no issues
Old 09-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Definitely touching 6 figure territory (assuming manual and not a tip). If a close friend then 90s would be fair to both IMO. Dealer would list that over 100K any day of the week.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:16 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I think color makes a huge difference.
Back in the "day" when 993's were aplenty, color played a larger role in differentiating price. There were basically 3 categories of colors; "negative," "neutral, and "premium." Not to insult anyone however this was the general breakdown:
Negative: Aventurine, Turquoise, Red, Arena Red
Neutral: White, Black, Yellow, Silvers, Ocean Metallic Blue, Zenith/Horizon Blue
Premium: Riviera/Mexico Blue, Slate Grey, select PTS colors
(I'm sure I am forgetting other colors)
For interiors, black is generally considered the best/safest color.
However the market has changed and as these cars age, miles, condition, documentation and options play a larger role vs. color alone. Again not to say color doesn't matter, it just matters less.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:37 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Back in the "day" when 993's were aplenty, color played a larger role in differentiating price. There were basically 3 categories of colors; "negative," "neutral, and "premium." Not to insult anyone however this was the general breakdown:
Neutral: White, Black, Yellow, Silvers, Ocean Metallic Blue, Zenith/Horizon Blue

However the market has changed and as these cars age, miles, condition, documentation and options play a larger role vs. color alone. Again not to say color doesn't matter, it just matters less.
not offended in the least but just curious classification

would our resident expert rudy agree???

for example... i always felt that guards red and arena red were favorites... but i guess that is just me...
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
If the car checks out and with today's prices I will say $85k
Agreed. I've been chasing a c2s, and this seems to be the benchmark I would use for the color and mileage. I have purchased 2 993tt's in the last month and I'd say the market is "adjusting".
Old 09-18-2016, 08:16 AM
T Huestis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 C2S

Simply as a reference point on current dealer prices, see link below. Appears to be a nice car.

http://www.diamondmotorworks.com/det...-15260706.html
Old 09-18-2016, 10:17 AM
GT34ME
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T Huestis
Simply as a reference point on current dealer prices, see link below. Appears to be a nice car.

http://www.diamondmotorworks.com/det...-15260706.html
This should be a good gauge if it's a manual. $80-85K if it's a tiptronic.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
All these are opinions of course, but in mine, mileage and color are 90% of what drives a C2S asking and selling price. I bought in the last 60 days, after talking to dozens of different sellers, private and dealer. Here is an example of one of my "runner up" cars. Really nice and knowledgeable dealer. No affiliation. Absolutely beautiful original example car. There is a typo on the inventory, it is a silver/black car. In my opinion only, I think it would sell at $125k. Might seem high, but in my research, its dead on accurate pricing for a 98 1-owner car with this mileage in silver/black. Same car in ocean blue/tan? A lot less. If you like ocean blue/tan, its great for you, and no offense (that color is beautiful). But color is a major factor. That same ocean blue car with black interior (rare)? As much as this listed car or maybe more.

http://www.parkhaus1.com/detail-1998...-15374036.html

Low mileage 2S cars in desirable colors that are TRULY no story cars with great history/condition are not lying around as much as they used to be. I paid pretty much double what I paid for a 2S back in 2003.

Back to OP, I still say expect a sales price in the 90-110 range, maybe 109k asking.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
If the car checks out and with today's prices I will say $85k
Agreed, lots of high asking prices, not a lot of sales at those prices.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Actual C2S sale...

Just FYI, I purchased my C2S from a fellow Rennlister back in Feb of 2016 for $75K USDs. Thus I may be one of the most recent C2S purchases. Looking back I believe it was a fair price, even through the market did soften a bit right after but seems to be heading on up again. Hagerty.com has a valuation tool one can look at. As for it's accuracy I can't say.

Details:
- $75,000 USDs
- a 3rd owner car
- Ocean Blue Metallic over Classic Grey (standard seats)
- 58,000 miles
- super clean CARFAX
- extremely well documented (unbelievable), original dealer fob from Bend, OR, all documents from window sticker on...
- minimally optioned, un-molested, right down to the original radio code, valet key,
- M33 ROW suspension
- Motorsound
- 60K mile service completed
- a Post Purchase Inspection showed it to be in EXTREMELY sound condition. As time goes on it will need a few things but that is to be expected
Name:  IMG_9178.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  340.8 KB

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
All these are opinions of course, but in mine, mileage and color are 90% of what drives a C2S asking and selling price.
Of course this is another opinion, but if we are looking at top-2 factors, I would say condition trumps color (as in real estate Location - Location - Location , in the car buying world i feel it is Condition - Condition - Condition).

I have seen low miler cars (20-30K) that have been truly neglected (put away wet, or simply put away forever uncaringly) and need a heckuva lot of work than higher miler cars that have been pampered. 'Provenance' and documentation records are a key factor as well IMO.

At the end of the day, it only takes one buyer to pay the asking price. There are plenty of folks that would pay a premium for factors such as 'celebrity' owned cars, very late production (e.g. 98) cars (so literally and figuratively last of the aircooleds) etc. Whatever rocks one boat I suppose
Old 09-23-2016, 11:18 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

And???? How did the Purchase? come out?
Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow... The current C2S bought/sold market is out of control... I recall in April/May of 1997 the 993 had trunk money to USA dealerships as a rebate; 2% off total MSRP including options etc. There were plenty 911 owners whom ordered 993's on a short deal. .. Pricing at dealer cost - the dealer pockets the 2% trunk money rebate for taking an order.

Quick Reply: Need purchase advice on 993 C2S