Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche classic radio with Nav

Old 08-03-2018, 04:50 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Okay, I loaded some music on the Micro SD card that came with the PCRN, and it will not play. When I select "media" then "SD", it pauses for a couple of seconds, and rolls back to FM radio.

I need the file that was on the card as it came, but which I deleted when I formatted the card. Would someone please copy that file from their new SD card, and send it to me? If you have added music to your SD card, the file I need should show up in the root directory of the card, perhaps with a filename extension different from the music files.

Please PM me if you can do me this favor, and I'll respond with my email address. I'll owe you one

Other PCRN owners may want to copy this small file from the original Micro SD card and keep it to initialize any additional SD cards purchased.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 PM
tsloeza
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

PM'd
Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Proj993
I plan to replace the Traffic Pro in my 993 with this unit. I have it hooked up to an Alpine PDX-4.100, a powered subwoofer and Focal speakers. PCRNS doesn't seem to have a subwoofer output like Traffic Pro. Does anyone have an idea how I can continue to use the powered subwoofer?
Did you resolve this? It is exactly the issue I am facing. There are plugs for Nokia/Blaupunkt and Siri, and a spare slot which is not labeled. Or I’m guessing splice the rear speakers and add an RCA adapter there?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Hi Gbos,

I didn't disconnect the battery. With the key off, no power is going to the radio circuit, and all I was doing was unplug/replug, no cutting or splicing anything.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My problem with the SD card has been solved, thanks to tsloesa.

The Micro SD card that comes PCRN has a small .ddg file on it. If you delete this file, then the system won't recognize the card, hence the music won't play. Lesson learned--don't format this card or delete this .ddg file. Save it, make a copy to use when you initialize any new cards. On the new card, copy this file into the root directory before adding any music files.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My problem with the SD card has been solved, thanks to tsloesa.

The Micro SD card that comes PCRN has a small .ddg file on it. If you delete this file, then the system won't recognize the card, hence the music won't play. Lesson learned--don't format this card or delete this .ddg file. Save it, make a copy to use when you initialize any new cards. On the new card, copy this file into the root directory before adding any music files.
My SansDisk 32 GB micro SD card has a document file named device.nng on it. I tried placing another micro SD card with only music into the PCNR and it played fine. Then I looked at that card in my computer again and now it had a device.nng file on it. Perhaps the unit writes the file onto the SD card and initializes it. I would doubt the unit needs some proprietary file from Porsche to make the SD card work.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:08 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 374 Posts

Deleting a key file...in my OCD, sounds like something I'd do.

Nice work Rennlist for making the OP whole again.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+993 and kudos to the spirit of Rennlist!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Schnell,

How about those pics of how you mounted the GPS antenna under the dash pad? Mine is still on top, but considering moving it depending on your input. Is the satellite signal still plenty strong?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Corky
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had PCRN for a couple of years and love it- looks great, sounds great, easy to use.
New problem- prior iPhone 6 was recognized by the PCRN when hardwired through the external media box with USB 2.0 ports using either of the iPod®/iPhone® connections. I have upgraded to an iPhone X. While I can still connect using Bluetooth, the new phone is not "recognized" when hard wired through the iPhone® connection. Anyone experience this problem/have a fix? I have searched to no avail.... TIA
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Corky,

I have the iPhone X as well, and it connects via the "phone" button, easy setup. Music plays via the media button. Like you, I don't get connectivity plugging into the iPod connection...
Old 08-10-2018, 11:59 AM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this radio and i don't need any file to play music.
the system creates the file inside the SD card as soon as you play it.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Corky,

I have the iPhone X as well, and it connects via the "phone" button, easy setup. Music plays via the media button. Like you, I don't get connectivity plugging into the iPod connection...
What's the iPod connectivity like -- what kind of controls do you have? Selection of playlists, songs, artists, etc.? Does that have to be done manually through the phone or is there some interface so you can control the ipod functions through the head unit?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

inkatouring,

I don't have an iPod, but with the iPhone X or SD card, you get a list of albums, which you can select from, then it displays a list of songs on the album, you can select to play, fast forward, rewind, nice controls, all from the radio head, using right button (turn or tap) or touchscreen.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

inkatouring,

I don't have an iPod, but with the iPhone X or SD card, you get a list of albums, which you can select from, then it displays a list of songs on the album, you can select to play, fast forward, rewind, nice controls, all from the radio head, using right button (turn or tap) or touchscreen.
Thanks!

Is that through bluetooth or connected by wire? Are playlists displayed? Is there random function, etc.?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche classic radio with Nav