Is the 993 Targa OK to Purchase ..good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Wgwollet
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the 993 Targa OK to Purchase ..good or bad

Hello
I have not been on here for awhile. Most cars I owned are long hoods.
But now kinda tried of no real AC.
A friend has a 1996 Targa in red/black, not crazy about red, but I cannot be too picky, because it's low mileage 47k and like new in the $50k.

But I hear these cars are problemic with the top, cab gets hot, odd wheels, top heavy, low potential resale, not in demand...,etc...
Does the forum have one they can tell me about or anybodies thoughts before I spend 50k? Does AC work and is it the new 134a stuff.
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 06-30-2016, 01:00 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I have one, & it's great. Mine has high miles - 147k, and previous owners were not friendly to it.

One with low miles & well taken care of - the top should be fine. It is close to 20 years old, so things will need fixed.
It only gets hot if the shade does not close & AC doesn't work. It does use r134.
Wheels are fine, just a different design.

It weighs about 160 more pounds, but I doubt you'll feel it against a coupe.

As far as resale & demand, you are right, but 50k sounds like a good deal if it is well taken care of.

Is it a manual or tip?

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:03 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

You'll probably get all kinds of perspectives. We humans tend the over value the things we own, so as a Targa owner, consider me biased.

Good:
* The Targa top is functionally awesome and the rest of the car is not materially different from any other varioram 993.
* In my experience, the car is a blast to drive around a track, additional weight and all.

Bad:
* The car does weigh ~60lbs more than the coupe, due to the added chassis bracing and the glass roof assembly - if you want to turn one of these into a lightweight track car, get a coupe.

Ugly:
* There is a real knowledge gap about these roofs with mechanics. You'll need to be comfortable with that to get the most out of Targa ownership.
* These cars are rare (~1100 total imported to North America), so roof parts are expensive when they break.

Bottom Line:
I would only recommend a Targa to those that 1) see value in the roof and 2) are willing to work on the roof themselves.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:05 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
You'll probably get all kinds of perspectives. We humans tend the over value the things we own, so as a Targa owner, consider me biased.

Good:
* The Targa top is functionally awesome and the rest of the car is not materially different from any other varioram 993.
* In my experience, the car is a blast to drive around a track, additional weight and all.

Bad:
* The car does weigh ~60lbs more than the coupe, due to the added chassis bracing and the glass roof assembly - if you want to turn one of these into a lightweight track car, get a coupe.

Ugly:
* There is a real knowledge gap about these roofs with mechanics. You'll need to be comfortable with that to get the most out of Targa ownership.
* These cars are rare (~1100 total imported to North America), so roof parts are expensive when they break.

Bottom Line:
I would only recommend a Targa to those that 1) see value in the roof and 2) are willing to work on the roof themselves.
^^^ excellent summary ^^^

old classic european sports cars are not for the faint of heart or light of wallet, 993 targa especially so... but one can ease the pain if they are handy with a wrench and have some mcgyver in them
Old 06-30-2016, 03:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you can obtain a nice example for a good price, buy it!

Although the extra glass weight is not all that significant pound wise; it is carried in the worst possible location, up high; where the disadvantage is at its maximum.

If you intend to just drive and enjoy the car, without trying to stiffen suspension and bushings, you'll be fine. The more one tries to turn the targa into a competent sports car, the more rattles and noises you'll hear from the top. Stiffer lowers transmits to the top.

Prolly wont get targa owners to admit or cosign to this physics reality, though. ☺
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Wgwollet
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for good feedback.

Like I said, price is good, miles and ownership, good to hear one of you guys have 147k. This is red, that's OK, wish it was silver or ?, but it is a 6 speed...

I am thinking of buying because, I have no desired to track it, good value and I need a newer model with air bags, and got d AC. Plus I am hearing only negative issues on top heavy....60 lbs to a amature is mute.

I can understand above all parts and guys not knowing how to fix it...

Thx
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

If you never open the targa top you'll be fine. Doubt you'll tell the weight difference unless you plan tracking it. I like how the glass roof and rims look them.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:25 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

I started out with a Targa. I enjoyed the car. I'm happy that I owned it. I'd probably still have it except I found an S with some nice mods. So I bought that and sold the Targa.

My advise is buy the car you want right up front, whether it's a coupe, cab, Targa or S. I wouldn't buy a Targa just because it's in front of you -- buy the Targa because you specifically want the Targa.

/
Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I had both at the same time... I kept the Targa. Roof was a problem, but it's actually not that bad mechanics wise. Drove it from SLC to Seattle at night with windows down and roof open - awesome! Nothing beats the smell of pot in the eastern WA at night Love the car!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I owned a 964 when the 993s came out. I fell in love with the Targa at first sight and when, through a series of lucky circumstances (including totalling the 964) I had the opportunity to actually buy one, I didn't hesitate. After 20 years I would not trade my Targa for anything.

You have to really want a Targa, otherwise you won't be happy; there is no in-between.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
I'd probably still have it except I found an S with some nice mods. So I bought that and sold the Targa.
/
Two years ago I was in the right place at the right time to help Mike free up garage space for the S. I was looking specifically for a targa, read up on the pro's and con's on RL, and do not regret buying a targa, especially Mike's targa. If you have some mechanical skills and patience, you can perform many of the fixes that may pop up on occasion. If you do not want to take on the challenge you will pay to find an indy or dealer who is familiar with the roof mechanism. I asked a local indy to adjust the roof a bit while in for an oil change and he responded, "I will not touch that roof". I guess he felt to much downside if he broke it. So, I read various posts on RL and adjusted it myself, no more wind noise. I recently replaced various components of the sunshade mechanism and while it took a couple of attempts it now works flawlessly. I'm sure I saved a nice chunk of change doing the sunshade myself. As others have said, you have to want the targa to appreciate its uniqueness.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

FWIW....I have a C4S and still think the lines of the Targa look great.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:15 AM
423423dsa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it....buy it....truly fantastic!

http://youtu.be/fipQisc68dQ
Old 07-01-2016, 01:16 AM
423423dsa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it....buy it....truly fantastic!

http://youtu.be/fipQisc68dQ
Old 08-13-2016, 06:36 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
If you can obtain a nice example for a good price, buy it! Although the extra glass weight is not all that significant pound wise; it is carried in the worst possible location, up high; where the disadvantage is at its maximum. If you intend to just drive and enjoy the car, without trying to stiffen suspension and bushings, you'll be fine. The more one tries to turn the targa into a competent sports car, the more rattles and noises you'll hear from the top. Stiffer lowers transmits to the top. Prolly wont get targa owners to admit or cosign to this physics reality, though. ☺
I'm on my second one and there's def more clickety-clunks felt on these in neighborhood driving than I'd like but no issues at speed. re the top thankfully haven't experienced more than a front visor air squeal at full closure. I just keep it open a 1/4 inch to relieve it. can't speak for the track experience and weight issues.
I have also removed the interior side trim pieces to create more space and show off more of this Rube Goldberg contraption.

Quick Reply: Is the 993 Targa OK to Purchase ..good or bad