993 Forum 1995-1998

3D printed custom parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 03:19 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 125 Posts
Default 3D printed custom parts

I'm doing an interior refresh on my 1995 Guards Red Carrera 4 with cashmere interior. So far this entails:
- Porsche Classic Radio (done)
- Momo Cobra vintage wheel (done)
- Lloyds Ultimat floor mats in beige (done)
- Waldemar front seats on order - softback, to look as stock as possible
- New cashmere factory shift **** and e-brake handle on order

One of the things I've been experimenting with is creating a custom horn button for my new wheel. Currently refining the process of 3D printing a part, which can then be pressed into a corresponding mold with leather stretched and glued over it. The design of the horn button echoes the bezels around the gauges, and centrally there is a cutout to accept a small Porsche crest (harvested from a keychain).

The Cobra steering wheel has a flexible leather-wrapped rubber cover that sits over top of a regular MOMO horn button. In order to keep the whole assembly flexible I'm creating the horn button out of a thick silicone or similar flexible material.

So far I have just a prototype from my limited experimentation, but I thought I would share this and my subsequent progress!! The 3D model shown is my second prototype which accounts for the 0.5mm thickness of the leather. Hoping I can squeeze it into the negative mold all glued together and have a resulting product with nice crisp edges.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:20 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

On the finished product the button will sit flush on the wheel, and I may even seal it with a narrow bead of black leather filler or silicone for a really clean look.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Nothing to add to this thread but....

OP's car is a sexual experience.

Lustfully,
Paul
Old 10-19-2019, 03:40 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi dantonio.

Very, very nice. I have the same car, except C2, 1995 Guards Red/Cashmere. I also have the PCNR, seats redone a few years back by Autos International, German square weave wool mats by CocoMats, MY02 wheels, HID headlights, LED brake/turn, T-Spoiler, all from our friend Tore at https://www.bergvillfx.com/. Still turns heads at every Cars & Coffee, and makes me smile every time I look at it.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:14 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Here's a couple shots before and after the Cobra steering wheel swap. I liked the feel of the dished metal spoke Momo wheel but it had a "spartan race car" look. I think the leather covered wheel has a more "luxury sports car" look. Just seems like it's missing something without a defined horn button.

I think the 80s/90s style of the steering wheel suits the 993 interior very well.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:33 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Here's another before/after photo!

Quick Reply: 3D printed custom parts