Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ticket for 110 MPH. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 11:17 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent 4 1/2 years as an emergency physician at a Level 1 trauma center in Dallas, TX. I certainly saw plenty of automotive related carnage, many of them innocent victims of irresponsible driving.

Most victims were substance abusers of some kind, or were involved in an accident because of a substance abuser. Many victims were in a car in which the driver fell asleep or was paying more attention to the tape deck or a screaming S.O. instead of to the road. But I do not recall a single instance of an experienced driver in a capable sports car being involved in such a tragedy.

What does that mean? Maybe not very much. Maybe they were all driving too fast to make it alive to the emergency department, but I doubt that explains it. It probably just means that not many Rennlist types in 993s have major injury accidents on public highways, going fast or slow.

I'll leave the observation at that and not try to draw any more inflammatory or politically incorrect conclusions from it - the rest of you can do that for me!

Chip
Old 10-22-2003, 01:07 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the opportunity to get caught up in last years gumball rally leg between Amarillo and Albuquerque. While it was fun going not near as fast as most of the cars for a much shorter period of time and in a very straight line - it also scared the hell out of me! Like someone said - it's all fun until someone gets hurt. I did not catch whether or not you had a radar detector or not?? Get one for sure, then when it goes off next time, slam on your Brembos' so that the second reading is like fifty MPH different from the first and you won't get the ticket..

Last edited by GratefulJED; 10-22-2003 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:11 AM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, we have an interesting thread going, at least....

I agree with Chip that most Rennlisters are probably older and safer than average. But there is apparently a (probably very small) 'authority be damned' element that thinks anything goes, depending upon their whims, even though their actions can (and do) directly affect others. I propose that if someone gets a ticket for 110 mph, and that ticket is not grossly in error, then they should suck it up, pay the fine with integrity, and learn from experience. Be glad your car was not confiscated on the spot. Naturally, ask for your rights under the law and a reduction through traffic school, etc. Just don't think your birthright, or your expensive, highly engineered, road-hugging Porsche, or your (self-presumed) superior driving skills earn you a get out of jail free card.

My friend Peter Huber from Koln told me once that, in his opinion, most Americans learn just to steer and point their cars, not drive them. He pointed out to me that the German written and driving tests are much tougher than ours, that his fellow Germans pay for their drivers' training (instead of receiving it for free in public school), and that the minimum driving age is 18. Furthermore, newly minted drivers are on probation for two years, with any offense resulting in dire consequences. German roads are better constructed, as another respondant to this thread has noted. Furthermore, German drivers actually seem to obey the rules of the road: This isn't just my observation: "You know what the guy behind you's up to and you know what the guy ahead of you's up to. That's never the case [in the US]", said Alex Landsdorf, German Embassy press attache in Washington DC, to ABC News. Furthermore, there are speed limits in _most_ places in Germany, and they're scrupulously obeyed for good reason: they're often enforced with those goll darned gumminit radar cameras that give the black helicopter-fearing crowd the Orwellian *******. Furthermore, the sky-high German fines imposed by those cameras would make us namby-pamby USA drivers run to our nearest legislator, screaming for relief. Germans may well understand the importance of a well ordered driving environment, and consistent enforcement of and adherence to that social contract, far better than a certain gonzo minority of persons on this list. Perhaps that's why their per-kilometer death rate is 25% lower than in the USA.

I hope that the Rennlist forums, membership in PCA, and driving events will help us to set a higher standard. If we don't promulgate higher standards, then I think Joe Citizen driving a Ford can probably be forgiven of stereotyping us reckless Porsche drivers as rich, pompous, sociopathic jerks. The Salt Lake City 996 Twin Turbo pilot who plows past the thicket of students jaywalking from the discount parking to the campus each morning at +75 mph, just because his car turns him on so very much, comes to mind.

As for the ad hominem attack on "TV", I was responding in what I hoped was an over the top fashion to his 'everyone in authority be damned, I'll do what I like if I think I'm in control' attitude. I think that sort of attitude is irresponsible, childish, dangerous, and _exactly_ what makes an average guy think those Porsche owners might be stuck-up jerks. Let's try to avoid making people envision that (wrong) image, please.

Best, Mike Lincoln
Old 10-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Remember that guy that played the professor in Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield.......
Old 10-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The difference between Germans and Americans can be summed up by the following analogy:

If Germany passed a nationwide 100 km. per hr. speed limit, every driver would rigidly obey it on the first day the law went into effect and then, in the next election, they'd oust every politician who voted for it.

If the US had a tradition of no speed limits, and then suddenly passed a nationwide 65mph law, everyone would totally ignore it when it went into effect....and they we'd re-elect the politicians who voted for it.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally posted by Randy M
Remember that guy that played the professor in Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield.......
randy m, i love that movie!
one of my favorite lines from that flick
"maybe you can come help me straighten out my longfellow!"
Old 10-22-2003, 05:25 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Regretfully ending this particular thread....

Hello all,

Sadly, I have concluded that only a minority of the respondents on this thread are concerned about 41,000+ road deaths per year, the antisocial, petulant, self-indulgent, and illegal behavior of driving twice the speed limit that contributes to a minority of those deaths, or any rational root-cause analysis of the carnage.

I suspect and hope that there is a "silent majority" of Rennlisters who simply don't see the point of responding to and debunking persons who hold the specious and bizzare idea that we can drive however we want on public roads, just because we own sports cars and it turns us on. I have to say that I agree with that apparently silent group now: resistance to stupidity is indeed futile, at least in this forum, so I doubt that any more can be gained by continuing this thread.

Let's all go back to having more important discussions about loud mufflers, chrome wheels, and affluent self-indulgence. That seems to be a lot more fun.

Regretfully, Mike
Old 10-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally posted by jago1244
randy m, i love that movie!
one of my favorite lines from that flick
"maybe you can come help me straighten out my longfellow!"
"No matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you will nevah, evah pahs this clahs"

That guy reminds me of this pompous ***
Old 10-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Since you seem to agree with this "silent majority" you have fabricated in your mind, I can only hope you will actually stay silent.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Mike,

My only concern is that you go away and stay away. Pompous *** is right.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
mlincoln
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are unbelievable....
Old 10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Christer
Race Car

I was going to suggest that you pay for membership. What are you saving up for? Speeding fines?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:42 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just as in any sample group, there will be extremes on both ends but a majority will fall in the middle.

I would surmise that the majority of 993 owners fall in the middle where we recognize the dangers of our vehicles when driven negligently. There will be those on one extreme who do not recognize the dangers and there will bo those who think everyone who drives a 993 10mph over the speed limit is a suicidal maniac.

No need to preach and no fun to be preached to.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:37 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Sheesh, for a learned gentleman of such high moral fiber and, I'm sure, even genetic superiority (just ask him, he'll tell ya), bubba sure don't know when to stop digging his hole.

Listen Dr. Lincoln, why soil yourself amongst a rabble of troglodytes like us? We smell kinda funky, and something unsavory may rub off on you.

Continue your academic pursuits, and perhaps you'll come to understand that even those of us that agree with the core of your point have little tolerance of the magniloquent wrapper you choose to present it in.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it." --Bernard Bailey
Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally posted by Randy M
"No matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you will nevah, evah pahs this clahs"

That guy reminds me of this pompous ***
actually, when reading his posts on this thread, i cant help but hear the voice of Montgomery Burns.

Quick Reply: Ticket for 110 MPH. Any ideas?