Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

JKW993 said:
"I can appreciate your passion against speeding and breaking the law."

So long as the law is legal, valid and based on sound principles. And so long as enforcement of the law achieves the intent of the law and not someone's need for greed or convoluted sense of impotence.

Let's remember that one activity that has been enshrined by the history of the United States of America is civil disobedience. As Amir put it:
"The best things in life aren't things."

Have a joyous INDEPENDENCE DAY and remember the principles that caused this day to be of significance.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Ron well said. Seems like we have problem understanding our Republic.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-06-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:23 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to admit I did not read through this whole post but I did read enough to realize that we could solve the mystery of Bin Laden's whereabouts if we send mlcolon to camp x-ray at Guantanamo Bay. A few hours in a cell with him and the detainees would most definitely crack and give up bin ladin, and the location of al Qaeda's bat cave.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK,
I've not read the whole thread but I note Mike Lincoln's point. We do not have to be abusive to one another. Driving at 110+mph in a public road is not recommended and if you get caught doing it you should be man enough to admit it and accept the consequences, if not you shouldn't do it!
Yes, I admit if the road is deserted the risk of pushing this speed is less than that in a crowded highway but things can go wrong and the faster you are driving the more chance you have of not being able to take evasive action. I can't remember if it was on this board but some nutter was closing in on a vehicle being driven by a woman on the Autobahn and it appeared that the woman panicked and ended up being killed. Obviously I do not know the ins and outs of the circumstances but if you are responsible for someone's fatality or worse still cripple them for life, how on earth do you live with yourself? Are you man enough to take responsibility? No matter how sorry you may be you will never be able to make up for such tragedy. Only today I saw a 20-year old lad who was out with his mates driving at high speed and he was sat at the back without seatbelts (again a blatant disregard for the law in UK, which is really for safety). When the collision occured, the driver fled the scene, the boy had to be cut free but he is now paralysed for life. He had a long life ahead of him and now it has been destroyed.
I suggest people do not ask what they should do on this board if you are caught overspeeding at that sort of speed because I certainly have no sympathies. People are too selfish these days. A little more awareness and respect towards others I'm sure will make the world a better place for all of us.

Harry
Old 07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Harry Where you live is beautiful, and maybe there is no where to stretch your legs. But where I live in the western US there are plenty of places much less crowded than the autobahn. In fact until recently Montana didnt have a speed limit on some roads. There are places in Nevada, eastern California, eastern Oregon and Utah that you can drive for an hour and not see another living soul. When I do let my TT stretch its legs I make sure that the road is clear and if anything happens I am the only one to pay the price. But if I am on the interstate hwy system with other people then normal driving practices are observed.
A 20 year old kid is going to make a 20 year old decision and there is no law, or restriction thats gonna make that not happen period. Some of the things you describe can happen at 45mph in a 25 mph zone. What are you gonna do? make 25 the top speed limit nation wide? Hitting a tree at 50 will kill you just as dead as hitting a tree at 110.
What people seem to forget it that many laws at least in our country are driven by revenue and not safety. These new cameras at intersections and as speed traps are put in for that reason and the maufacturer gets a piece of the revenue which is in direct conflict of interest. Whos to say the cameras dont go off 300 miliseconds early?? How are you gonna fight that?? Safety is a great soap box for a city councilman to get on and proclaim his desire for a safer city when in fact he is trying to cover a revenue shortfall. There are those of us in this country that are highly skeptical of the governments priorities in this area. Its funny how they will listen to lobbying groups, to back off safety requirements and fuel milage requirements on manufacturers, if the lobby coughs up enough cash. But if there is a direct revenue source, then the government goes ga ga over it, and nothing can get in its way, once it sees the greenbacks piling in. its pure hypocrisy. And once you give up a freedom you will never ever get it back.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old Guy is right on the money re: cameras. The practice has been to SHORTEN the yellow time at intersections and realize a huge financial gain overnight. However, the insurance companies also benefit because the increased rear end collision rate results in larger premiums, and the city benefits from increased traffic accident rates justifying more ossifers on the roads citing more and more people. Normally, a 10 - 13 second yellow light is the comfortable margin for a city speed limit and possibly more for a crowded light on an expressway with more traffic load particularly at rush hour. Installing cameras and shortening the yellow time interupts the sound engineering based margins and fetches revenue.

Here is another one: speed sensors in the road linked to cameras. Instantaneous speed infractions are punished rather than allow a margin of correctable error. How often have you used that instrument alongside your tachometer to realize you have strayed above the posted limit? Oh, about a few hundred times every trip. That's one reason it is there. Because you can deviate, particularly at the crest of a hil and at the bottom of a hill. In Hawaii the law used to be that an officer needed to maintain a pace for at least 2/10ths of a mile before you were guilty of a speed violation for this very reason. No more, not with speed sensors and/or cameras. Instant on crime recorders. Don't you feel like unworthy criminals?? In England, I understand the citizens are sabotaging them and destroying them. Hmm... interesting. Go Brits !!!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb TRIAL BY WRITTEN DECLARATION

I wish I was on these forums sooner so I could have helped you out.....

TRIAL BY WRITTEN DECLARATION:

The Best Option Requesting a Trial by Written Declaration (CVC 40902) gives you the best chance to win your case. Most people (99% of defendants) never contest their alleged violations due to the inconvenience of making two separate court appearances: the first to plead not guilty (appearance date) and the second to stand trial. In reality, the law permits you to contest an unfair citation with zero court appearances.

If nothing it gives your trial date a delay in addition to that time after waving your right to a speedy trial. If this can be pushed and pushed your chances of actually seeing an appearance less likely.

I'm just surprised that you weren't arrested on the spot!!!

-Eli

Old 07-06-2004, 05:51 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

I share some of the sentiments regarding speed cameras and revenue generation. In fact in the UK I believe they are removing some cameras which were not really impacting on safety and I have seen at least one in our area which was removed. I do have issues with people vandalising it though. It just shows the blooded-mindedness of some of these people. I also do stretch my RS's legs from time to time but where there is clear view and in an area that is safe. Now, if I was caught doing over 110+ mph I would not contest it because I chose to break the speed limit whether the road was safe or not. As I said you have to take responsibility for your own actions. I've been flashed by a speed camera doing slightly above the posted limit by a camera where my colleague was caught doing 40mph over the limit and was fined. I have yet to receive notification for a few months now so I assume I will not be fined - perhaps the authorities are using some discretion, I don't know. I have been warned by police officers before by overspeeding, not in my 911 as I couldn't afford it as a student, and again they were very pleasant about it - no fines or tickets. I do not care if other people speed provided it is done safely both to themselves but more importantly to other road users. But as I said before be prepared to take responsibility for your actions.

Harry
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

from a uk web site
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

Death in less than a second!

Death of a car driver in 7/10ths of a second.
"John Collins", 38, of 210 Hill Place, was instantly killed last night when his car struck a tree on the main road, two miles east ..... "
Daily newspapers carry thousands of new items similar to this every year. It is a tragically common form of death, but one, which very little has been known.
Distinguished medical experts have written detailed post-mortem reports on crash victims. The primary reason for the report was to reduce fatalities by making cars safer, more crash proof. Out of it have come recommendations for safety belts, different types of steering wheel etc. But out of the report has also come something else; the terrifying picture of what happens to steel and glass, to flesh and blood in those last split seconds when a human being is hurled into eternity.

This is a slow motion, split second reconstruction of what happens when a car traveling at 55 mph, crashes into a solid, immovable tree;

1/10th OF A SECOND: The front bumper and chromium radiator grille collapse. Slivers of steel penetrate the tree to depths of one and a half inches and more.

2/10th : The bonnet crumples as it rises, smashing into the windscreen. Spinning rear wheels leave the ground. The radiator disintegrates. The wings come into contact with the tree, forcing the rear pads to splay out over the front door.

In the same second tenth of a second: The heavy structural members of the car begin to act as a brake on the terrific forward momentum of the body, but the drivers body continues to move forward at the vehicles original speed. This means of force of 10 times gravity his body weight 3200. His legs, ramrod-straight, snap at the knee joint.

3/10th : The driver's body is now off the seat, torso upright, broken knees pressing against the dashboard. The plastic and steel frame of the steering wheel begins to bend under his terrible death grip. His head is now near the sun visor, his chest above the steering column.

4/10th : The cars front 24 inches have been completely demolished, but the rear end is still traveling at an estimated speed of 35 miles per hour. The driver's body is still traveling at 55 MPH. The engine block crushes into the tree. The rear of the car, like a bucking horse, rises high enough to scrape bark of low branches.

5/10th : The driver's fear frozen hands bend the steering column into an almost vertical position. The force of gravity impales him on the steering column. Jagged steel punctures lung and intercostal arteries. Blood spurts into the lung.

6/10th : So great is the force of impact that the driver's feet are ripped from his tightly laced shoes. The brake pedal sheers at the floorboards. The chassis bends in the middle. The driver's head smashes into the windscreen. The rear of the car begins its downward fall, with spinning wheels digging into the ground.

7/10th : The entire, writhing body of the car is forced out of shape. Hinges tear. Doors spring open. In one last convulsion the seat rams forward, pinning the driver against the cruel steel of the steering column. Blood leaps from his mouth. Shock has frozen his heart. He is now dead.

TIME ELAPSED - SEVEN TENTHS OF ONE SECOND

INAPPROPRIATE SPEED KILLS

Death of a Motorcycle Rider driver in 1.42 seconds.
We all know that a small vehicle generally has a significant disadvantage during most accident situations. Lack of mass and compact physical dimensions often account for serious injuries under conditions where had they been in a larger vehicle the injuries would not have been so significant.
What about the poor motorcyclist?

He operates in a stream of traffic with hazards far more extreme than those confronting the occupants of a small vehicle. He has minimal structural vehicle protection and often comes into direct physical contact with the opposing vehicle. Unlike the motorist, who is enveloped in the protective shield of his passenger compartment, it is the motorcyclist's body that serves as the energy absorbing structure. His fate so often depends on the nature of the impacted structure and the chance orientation of his body as it strikes the vehicle/object.

Consider then the effects of a 40mph impact into the side of an emerging car.

As the motorcycle contacts the front door of the car the inertia of the front wheel is such that it penetrates 6 inches into the door

15ms (milliseconds), the wheel contacts its engine. The rider starts to slide forwards on the seat.

At 25ms the motorcycle frame experiences a deceleration of 39g. The front wheel continues to crush further into the door of the car and it collapses as the engine starts to penetrate the side plane of the car.

63ms the maximum penetration reaches 34 inches. The motorcyclist's knees are buried into the side of the car whilst he is still in a seat posture after sliding forward onto the fuel tank.

55ms his legs sustained a deceleration of 71g. The pivotal action of the knee contact rotates the rider to a standing position bringing his chest forcibly against the 'A' pillar.

80ms, he experiences a deceleration of 109g. The sudden deceleration of the chest flails the head forwards over the top of the car; the helmet strap stretches.

105ms allows the face to strike the roof at 105g. Following this the helmet latch disengages depriving the rider of head protection during any subsequent collision with the car or road surface.

The motorcycle and rider fall motionless to the road.

TIME ELAPSED - 1.42 seconds
Old 08-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Some Rational Arguments for Mike

I feel badly for TTJunkie but this was the funniest thread ever

Mike, at this very moment .. you are going 1000MPH+ around the sun. It's hardly noticeable because there is nothing to compare it too. SPEED IS RELATIVE. 15 MPH feels right in a school zone, and 170MPH on the autobahn can be boring to me. Is 110MPH on a public highway dangerous?? It depends. If everyone else is going 90MPH may be fine. Are you going double the average traffic speed on the highway -- NOT SAFE!

There is nothing magical about 100MPH either -- numbers are purely a human creation. 100KPH is fine, but you go to jail if you cross 100MPH?!? WTF? Kinetic energy goes with the square of speed but that’s at ANY speed. What kills is decceleration not speed. Also don't forget mass -- a Porsche Cayenne at 75MPH can do more damage than a 911 going at 110MPH. Your kinetic energy arguments are totally flawed.

You should move to Greece and ride a donkey if you are worried about your baby and speed demons. This is a free country. Sure we have laws, but our legal system is not modeled after some fascist or communist country. If you like strict laws go live with your friend in Germany - you'll love it there.

You have clearly demonstrated the attitude that because you are a doctor you are some sort of god (I have got three of them in my immediate family.) You might have gotten more respect from board members if you could show some good will. May be you donated your time instead of charging people ridiculous amounts of money for your services.

Also it's wrong to equate English proficiency with intelligence – Mr. Bush is a special case.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:03 PM
notbob
Instructor

I got nailed while on vacation in the mountains on the way to Las Vegas doing 105 mph in a 65 mph zone in a Mercury Sable rental car stuffed with 5 people and tons of baggage

I was slowing down by the point the cop saw me, was busting 110mph downhill passing 2 semis and 3 cars all in 1 pass on a 2 lane road... yes that was dumb... shoulda gone for 115 like the night before You want excitement... see a truck coming at you and notice it speeds up while you're going 110mph straight at it.

The cop was going the other direction when i buzz'd by him... never seen a cop light his tires up to make smoke 6ft in the air before, that was cool.... he lit them up hardcore and flipped it around... I wasn't about to run so I nicely pulled over and waited I mean really what you gonna do in a Sable? ask if he wants his groceries picked up.

I was asked to step out of the vehicle after he ran my license... I'm thinking great... 21st bday party going to turn into a nice set of silver bracelets and making some new friends in the pen... nope, gotta love nevada, $250 ticket and thanks for your donation have a good day :P It was no big deal at all to the cop, lol.

Now had I been back here in Ohio... yeah that wouldn't have gone over so well.

So moral of the story? If you're gonna drive fast... have something faster then the cops so you can at least do it in style Las Vegas got jipped on that one, was gonna spend all that cash there anyways, oh and when the ticket transferred back to ohio... "no points have been assigned", which made it dissapear from insurance
Old 08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quartermile, nice first post! Welcome to Rennlist.

Notbob, who then? Anyway, thanks for making me laugh! You painted a great picture! I loved "...never seen a cop light his tires up to make smoke 6ft in the air before, that was cool.... he lit them up hardcore and flipped it around"

Old 08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
TTJunkie

Just thought I'd wrap this one up. I had great fun reading all the advice and this thread has certainly altered my perception of driving fast. I still drive way too fast, but much less occasionally. I will continue to keep in mind that many drivers do not share my confidance in my abilities. Thanks one and all.
Oh, the final outcome? I got off. The judge made a 30 day continuance because the officer didn't show up. But if you don't waive time the max is 10 days here in sunny California. So the moral of the story is... Never plead guilty, and never waive your right to a speedy trial.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

You will want to check the archives. This has been discussed--debated and flamed--at length. There are numerous options.

Ditto the DE suggestion. Only you know how "reckless" you may or may not have been in taking the car to that speed, so take the input under advisement.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I would give the end to my story too: When my trial by declaration resulted in a guilty verdict, www.stantheradarman.com was successful in getting my ticket dismissed. In his email to me he stated that "...three very pissed off officers followed him all the way out of town (Malibu)."

This was for being cited on PCH for 62 mph in a 45.

Quick Reply: Ticket for 110 MPH. Any ideas?