993 Forum 1995-1998

Hardback seats custom made $5.5k

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 188 Posts

All this tells me is that demand is much higher than supply. The seller clearly wants to do the work on his own terms.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's fine to make a deposit nonrefundable, assuming you let the customer know upfront. It's the prerogative of the person selling goods or services. And the customer can decide if they are interested. What is not OK is to make it up or change it along the way.

I was really hopeful that I would get my money back. But at this point, by any definition, this individual stole my money. I sent him $4000 and never got an invoice for completed seats or my money back. He just kept it. That's theft. I'm exploring what I can do about it, given that it was an international wire transfer, there are records, etc.

Buyer be aware. This got worse along the way, to where now he will not even respond to emails and I do not think he has any intention of providing my money back or the seats. I would prefer the seats, that was the original intention. But at six months after deposit, and no indication of any progress or responsiveness, it started to feel like a sham. Now it feels like a crime.

I feel like an idiot for wiring so much money to a stranger but he was recommended and known in the rennlist|Porsche community.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I feel like an idiot for wiring so much money to a stranger but he was recommended and known in the rennlist Porsche community.
Not questioning your experience however seems like an anomaly given the 200+ posts to this thread with only one truly bad experience. I suggest you let an intermediary step in and advocate your position (refund or seats). Perhaps Opo who has purchased 1/2 dozen sets would be willing to help or possibly a RLer who lives in Germany could pay Waldemar a visit.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Not questioning your experience however seems like an anomaly given the 200+ posts to this thread with only one truly bad experience. I suggest you let an intermediary step in and advocate your position (refund or seats). Perhaps Opo who has purchased 1/2 dozen sets would be willing to help or possibly a RLer who lives in Germany could pay Waldemar a visit.
Uhh, there may be 200+ posts, but only a couple of posts from those who've actually done business with Waldemar, and even some of those have complained about the lack of good customer service and slow turnaround times. I'd say bad customer service, and now far worse, isn't looking like an anomaly with this guy.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:47 AM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spring Break is near, how about a week in Germany?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:11 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
So you're thinking that the materials (old seat frames, molded plastic backs, foam pieces and leather) are costing him anywhere near $3500? If so, I am quitting my job and starting a wrecking yard/plastic molding/foam producing/tannery business.
Originally Posted by Onami
I worked in the seating industry for many years and his materials would not be anywhere close to $3,500. Not to mention, most of his materials are standard items with the exception of some unusual leather colors and the paint for the backs. 50% is ridiculous for standard colors...
My point had nothing to do with the $'s. it was just that if he has to order materials in advance it's reasonable to ask for a deposit. We all agree that the amount is too high and the lead time is just too long.

Originally Posted by ilko
All this tells me is that demand is much higher than supply. The seller clearly wants to do the work on his own terms.
Yup. He's the only game in town.

Wonder if I can get those hardbacks shells sourced.....
Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

I am surprised nobody here in the States produces these or can start producing out of their existing shop. Not sure what the margin is but guessing not too bad.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
+1 plus you guys have to remember that he builds lots of seats also for LA Dismantler and for people all over the world.. .
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Perhaps Opo who has purchased 1/2 dozen sets would be willing to help or possibly a RLer who lives in Germany could pay Waldemar a visit.
I did contact him in behalf of Mr Sullivan about a month ago .
i asked him what was the problem with Jonathan's seats ? He said he got hurt and was out for a while and he also moved to a bigger location , he asked me what should he do and I replied YOU NEED to refund the $ Jonathan asap , I also told him that anyways he could sell that set of seats to someone else with NO problem .
He replied this , NO problem I will refund his $ 100% and that was the last time I spoke to him , I also forward those emails to Jonathan and I'm pretty sure he didn't do what he said he was going to do .

Last edited by Opo; 02-19-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Small time business man meets the big time business world called the internet, where you will never, ever win.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
+1 plus you guys have to remember that he builds lots of seats also for LA Dismantler and for people all over the world.. .
I wonder how many seats LAD sells if this every year before. Now the price is going to be $9K+ and what is the new demand going to be at that price? What new vendor(s) will potentially pop up at this new price and give it a go in the US?

Again, what a mistake.

Raises price, demands completely unreasonable new terms of purchase and screws a reputable member on the busiest Porsche forum in the world while increasing his overhead by moving into a larger shop space.

He is obviously not moonlighting this. I don't see this lasting medium to long term regardless of "current high demand." Any new potential customer who googles him will see this thread pop up and think twice.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Makes me appreciate the fact that I got my HB's for free
Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
I wonder how many seats LAD sells if this every year before. Now the price is going to be $9K+ and what is the new demand going to be at that price? What new vendor(s) will potentially pop up at this new price and give it a go in the US?

Again, what a mistake.

Raises price, demands completely unreasonable new terms of purchase and screws a reputable member on the busiest Porsche forum in the world while increasing his overhead by moving into a larger shop space.

He is obviously not moonlighting this. I don't see this lasting medium to long term regardless of "current high demand." Any new potential customer who googles him will see this thread pop up and think twice.
LAD sells lots of his seats , one time he sent me a picture of 6 sets he was shipping to a good customer in Japan ..
plus im pretty sure he having a hard time finding parts that need to be purchased to. Holt the sport seats ..
some of this parts are hard to find .
Old 02-19-2017, 01:23 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This shouldn't be rocket science for a good upholstery shop.

All you need is an original hardback sport seat torn down for a visual and the hardback part.

He is posting pics of completed seats on Instagram 2 days ago, so I'm guessing he's moving things along. However.... at his own pace.

Name:  photo509.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  398.8 KB
Old 02-19-2017, 01:54 PM
0pera
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!!!
Here is Waldemar. Sorry for my english.
Many of you have already contacted me by email or even bought seats. So I have read everything in peace and would like to explain my point of view.
First I have not received 4000, - $ as a down payment but about 2700, - €
I ask the deposit to make sure the customer converts the seats I then take. It costs a lot of time and money to build the seats so they are good.
From Respect before Opo, I returned the deposit. It also so far not before someone order canceled and was for me also quite new, very much stress and evil emails in my direction. I have no factory with 100 employees, very often the time is a problem.
For the future, I will retain the deposit upon cancellation of the order. I think if you have the seats configured with desired color and equipment you should be sure. I have always delivered the seats.

Quick Reply: Hardback seats custom made $5.5k