Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Hardback seats custom made $5.5k

Old 02-09-2017, 06:08 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather now a days is a lot more durable then what they used 20 years ago. My car has 37k miles and the bolestars on the seats looks like the car has 137k miles. Your right you don't know what Waldemars seats will look like in 20 years but I sure don't wanna see what 40 year old OEM sport seats will look like in 20 years.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nr1416
Your right you don't know what Waldemars seats will look like in 20 years but I sure don't wanna see what 40 year old OEM sport seats will look like in 20 years.
Well, if we're speculating...I'd speculate just as nice as they are today. Most of us aren't daily driving our 993's with HB's, at least me, or exposing them to sunlight, but for nice sunny days with the top down. And they'll get detailed with the rest of the car on a regular basis.

OEM Porsche is, well, OEM Porsche, at least back when they hand made these machines.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Leather now a days is a lot more durable then what they used 20 years ago. My car has 37k miles and the bolestars on the seats looks like the car has 137k miles. Your right you don't know what Waldemars seats will look like in 20 years but I sure don't wanna see what 40 year old OEM sport seats will look like in 20 years.
Leather is better now than in the 993 days? I wasn't aware of that.

My car has over 90K miles and my bolsters look really good. I'd take Porsche OEM after 40 years over aftermarket; Porsche has plenty of expertise, and their seats have stood the test of time.

Aftermarket seats after 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Nobody knows. I guess that's the $6900 question.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Leather now a days is a lot more durable then what they used 20 years ago.
That is quite a statement - are you an expert in the "field"?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

They don't make cows these days like they used to...
Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just speaking of durability guys, pretty sure the materials used in modern day cars are are better then years past. Is the dash on 996 the same material as a 991. Just a wild guess that new materials are more durable then ones of years past on high end cars. Look at a Ferrari 355 with its sticky buttons, pretty sure its not the same on a 488.

Its not that its better leather just the way its treated when it leaves the factory.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
My car has over 90K miles and my bolsters look really good.
That's because you're a lightweight

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'd take Porsche OEM after 40 years over aftermarket; Porsche has plenty of expertise
How are those OEM Monroe shocks holding up for ya.

For sure decent hardbacks pop up on the market occasionally, ie. every 6 months or so. When you factor in the $2k it cost to recover, add another $1,000 to properly paint the backs and refresh any worn out bits, one can easily spend $3k on top of the price of the seats. If you're looking for uncommon colors such as red, marble gray, tan, etc. and you want added features like the embossed crest, heat, etc., Waldemars option is a good one. Are they more expensive today than a year ago, yes; but they were probably a bit underpriced back then. Has one RLer commented on poor communications, yes. It seems the majority of folks who have had dealings with Waldemar have had little to no issues. Quality takes time. Just ask the folks waiting for their Singers. You know these "knock off, replica, aftermarket" 911's that no one really wants
Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
How are those OEM Monroe shocks holding up for ya.

For sure decent hardbacks pop up on the market occasionally, ie. every 6 months or so. When you factor in the $2k it cost to recover, add another $1,000 to properly paint the backs and refresh any worn out bits, one can easily spend $3k on top of the price of the seats. If you're looking for uncommon colors such as red, marble gray, tan, etc. and you want added features like the embossed crest, heat, etc., Waldemars option is a good one. Are they more expensive today than a year ago, yes; but they were probably a bit underpriced back then. Has one RLer commented on poor communications, yes. It seems the majority of folks who have had dealings with Waldemar have had little to no issues. Quality takes time. Just ask the folks waiting for their Singers. You know these "knock off, replica, aftermarket" 911's that no one really wants
Well, we're talking about seats. Not shocks. And for about $6,500 one can buy OEM seats in great condition that won't need new upholstery or anything else.

Singer is a U.S. based company with many employees, not a one-man shop somewhere in Germany. I doubt if Rob at Singer gets a bad head cold, productions stops for days or weeks. And when he gets busy with orders, he doesn't suddenly raise his prices another 30% either.

Now, if you're looking for a rare seat color, you may be stuck using Waldemar. My comments were only to suggest that paying more for aftermarket seats from Germany with no history of long-term quality and durability, let alone customer service, might not be as desirable as purchasing OEM seats, which are a known quantity, from a Rennlister etc.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

FWIW, I asked Waldemar to use "aftermarket leather" on mine; that being Porsche-specific. I have been told that Porsche doesn't raise their own hides. Aftermarket doesn't automatically mean inferior. One can take the lead and specify or default and let the pros decide. Just another choice to be made on the slippery slope.

The leather I requested is the current 911/Cayman "Interior Naturleder Dunkelgrau Natur" (from the dealer samples) = "Natural Dark Grey." The leather can be sourced from one of the prominent worldwide suppliers.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Hahaha!!!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Pricing aside, the query (to me at least) is whether this is a 100% risk-free transaction (i.e. you get what you paid for, albeit with delays, or at a minimum you get your funds back if order can't be fulfilled, for health or whatever other reasons there may be).

Up until now the assumption has been that indeed (and with early adopters' experience no reason to doubt such), but if that level of assurance has changed then one needs to add that (risk) premium in the mix...
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Comparing him to Singer is a crazy thought. This is a side job, during side job hours by a part time guy making extra money. It's business on a small scale. Could it be scaled to 2-3 employees and remain profitable, doubt it.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:05 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Due to environmental concerns, much has changed in the leather tanning industry over the last 20 years as it has also in the plating industry.

Don't assume the leather you sit upon comes from cows.

My OEM hardbacks have vat dyed top grain (not top "grade") covers.

The ones Waldermar made me are spray pigmented, embossed split grain leather.

Your experience may vary.

Regards,

Old 02-10-2017, 02:37 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto

My OEM hardbacks have vat dyed top grain (not top "grade") covers.

The ones Waldermar made me are spray pigmented, embossed split grain leather.
That right there kind of sucks and would lead me to look towards OE options.

For a quick primer on "leathers." (all of what follows was stolen from www.saddlebackleather.com - no affiliation)

What is Full Grain Leather? Full Grain Leather comes from the top layer of the hide which has ALL of the grain, therefore, FULL grain. The natural surface of full grain leather burnishes and beautifies with use. It is the best leather money can buy and the only leather good enough for Saddleback.

Some companies sort of spray paint their inferior leather to try to make it look like full grain leather, but it just ends up looking like someone spray painted some cheap leather.

What is Top Grain Leather? Top Grain Leather is the second highest grade because it is split from the top layer of blemished hide then sanded and refinished. This is how they get rid of scars and scrapes and light cow brands. Top grain leather does not age nicely with use. It is strong and durable, but not good enough for Saddleback. They sanded off the strongest fibers of the hide leaving mainly the horizontal (easily pulled apart) fibers. By the way, did you know that leather shavings are used as filler in cheap dog food? The bigger the pile of shavings in the dog food, the bigger the piles elsewhere.

What is Genuine Leather? Genuine leather is the third grade of leather and is produced from the layers of hide that remain after the top is split off for the better grades. The surface is usually refinished (spray painted) to resemble a higher grade. It can be smooth or rough. Ever heard of suede? Suede is tougher than cloth and is excellent for lining, but it's not a good idea to use it in areas where it gets stress.

What is Bonded Leather? Bonded leather is the dust and shavings of the leather glued and pressed together. It is the PT Cruiser of the leather world... pure junk. Leftover scraps are ground together with glue and resurfaced in a process similar to vinyl manufacture. Bonded leather is weak and degrades quickly with use. Most Bibles are covered with this.

Little known fact, you can also mix up dog poop with flour and water, press it flat and let it dry in the sun for about two days and get a bonded leather equivalent. Genuine and bonded leather is usually spray-painted to look like full or top grain leather. Watch out!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

I have purchased 6 sets from Waldemar for my cars , the seats he puts together are great BUT there's nothing like the OEM seats even if they are used in fair condition ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardback seats custom made $5.5k