Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

It seems you've thought of everything! With every answer, they get better & better. I'm definitely in!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by jansan946
Outstanding! I would use a set of four to winter store my 993 and prevent flat spotting the tires.
That's not the proper way to winter hibernate a Porsche. Never store with an unsprung suspension. Flat spot prevention is very easy. Just over inflate your tires to 58 psi.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I think it's a great idea. I just spent $1,300 on a quick jack lift system to get basically the same benefits.

And I still don't totally trust it so I end up putting 4 jack stands under the platform for added safety.

The only additional benefit of the lift over your product is the ability to lift all 4 corners of the car simultaneously which was/is a concern for my F355. It seems those cars commonly suffer from cracking at the bases of the flying buttresses which is exacerbated by uneven lifting.

However yours has many additional benefits such as true portability, no need for power source, easier set up, more locking height positions and way cheaper cost.

I would definitely be a buyer at $150/pair $250-$275 for 4

I think you should reconsider the name to something with more universal appeal and that communicates the main benefit.

Rennjacks is too Porsche centric. You want to appeal a wider spectrum.

I happen to be in the automotive business and I think this product has commercial applications as well so keep that in mind.

I'd stay out of the Walmart's of the world because I think it would dilute the "professional grade" image you want.

Go through the more focused tool distributors.
Comparing my stands to the quickjack is a tremendous compliment! I'm blown away by that, and thank you so much!

I appreciate your thoughts on the pricepoint, as well as your insight into the name. I tend to agree with you that it will be lost on consumers outside Porsche circles. When I started out, my thought was to design stands primarily for our cars, and then shortly after having incorporated and trademarked I began to realize they had a much broader potential. I'll be considering more universal and descriptive options going forward.

Thank you also for letting me know you see their commercial potential! It's generally been off my radar as of late, though in hindsight the few professional mechanics I've let demo the stands in the past have expressed interest in purchasing them as a supplemental tool in their shop. You're right that I'd be remiss not to consider that market, and your opinion as an industry professional is greatly valued.

You got me thinking about Walmart too, and what effect it might have on the perception of the stands, and I think you made a very valid point. It is definitely important to me that these stands are seen as professional grade, which I believe they are, and I don't want to diminish that in any way. High quality tool distributors would be one great way to go if I can capture their interest ...

Very grateful for your thoughts and input!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gavonder
It seems you've thought of everything! With every answer, they get better & better. I'm definitely in!
Much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

DO IT! Do it! DO IT!

Just do it!
Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by shadow993
DO IT! Do it! DO IT!

Just do it!
Lol I'm doin it! Thank you!
Old 06-19-2016, 03:20 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Just saw this post and I'm impressed with the stands. I could/would use a set.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:09 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ble2011
Just saw this post and I'm impressed with the stands. I could/would use a set.
Thank you!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:05 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

This is great! Since these are modular, it will provide all kinds of possibilities. I am interested for sure.

In terms of getting extra height, the extension can be made from the base dimensions. A straight middle insert with locking pins to connect the two pieces on the bottom together. Top of the middle piece would still accept the male insert from the top loop. Only concern for me would be the stability of legs now holding weight from a higher point.

We are all still going to keep pieces of 2X5 boards around to stack beneath the jack when raising and dropping the car though..
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chsu74
This is great! Since these are modular, it will provide all kinds of possibilities. I am interested for sure.

In terms of getting extra height, the extension can be made from the base dimensions. A straight middle insert with locking pins to connect the two pieces on the bottom together. Top of the middle piece would still accept the male insert from the top loop. Only concern for me would be the stability of legs now holding weight from a higher point.

We are all still going to keep pieces of 2X5 boards around to stack beneath the jack when raising and dropping the car though..
Thank you so much for both your compliment and suggestion! We have been running a few options to maximize the height in conjunction with making minor adjustments to the dimensions and hole placements of both the legs and bases. Depending on how those prototypes test, we should be able to increase the reinforcement where needed to counter the additional stresses and maintain the stand's original strength and stability even at its highest point. One likely concession is that this will moderately add weight to the stands, but as light as they are to begin with I believe we can still keep it to within a very acceptable range.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:39 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Curious as to why making these as "light" as possible seems to be a priority.
Personally, I could care less if they were made of lead, as long as it can easily hope the weight of my car. Its not like I would carry these in the car, garage use only for me.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by S2K993
Curious as to why making these as "light" as possible seems to be a priority.
Personally, I could care less if they were made of lead, as long as it can easily hope the weight of my car. Its not like I would carry these in the car, garage use only for me.
I appreciate your input! The priority was never to make them "as light as possible," and certainly not at the expense of durability under the target load requirement. They could equally be built of 100% steel, but for our cars its overkill, and many, including myself, appreciate lighter stands as long as durability is not sacrificed in the process.

That said, the reason why I mentioned weight in my last response was because I wanted to be open with everyone on the forum that that figure is subject to change in the process of meeting other demands. If they end up heavier to maintain strength at increased height settings, so be it, but when all is said and done these are, and will remain, very strong stands for their intended purpose. Either way, assuming that your car is a 993 or of similar weight, the stands as is will more than hold the weight. Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I think the flexibility of multiple height options is important. People who want to buy extra parts to raise the jacks higher is another revenue source while keeping the current design height as an option as well.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:52 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by chsu74
I think the flexibility of multiple height options is important. People who want to buy extra parts to raise the jacks higher is another revenue source while keeping the current design height as an option as well.
Excellent point! Thank you!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:39 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking product! When they are available, I would be interested in a 4 pack. Thanks for your wonderful ingenuity!
Phil

Quick Reply: In need of the forum's help assessing a new idea...