993 Forum 1995-1998

Hello (intro)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Hello (intro)

Just wanted to say hi and I am not yet a 993 owner, hope to be one soon. I have been lurking for a couple of months now trying to read up and learn as much as I can.

Been looking and watching the prices and very hesistant to pull the trigger on one. To be totally honest, I can only afford to do this once. With prices what they are, it will have to be a higher mileage one. So it looks like a NB coupe, not looking for Black, White, targa, cabrio or tip. I plan on driving it daily in the summer.

I went with my father to the Hershey swap meet, drove from NH. Drooled over RichPugh's Iris blue. I remember his cars from vwVortex, always very nice. Walked by a bunch of 993's. The Adventure Green one for $43k was already sold when we walked by the lot at 11am. Had to walk over to that 1.3 Mill 959. Last time I saw one was at the Frankfurt Auto show 1985 ? (I think) took a good half hour just to get close to it. My dad was in the AF and stationed in Germany. My mom was German, hence the username.

Been searching cars.com, autotrader, rennlist, pelican, craig's, etc. They always seem to be on the other side of the country. Right now there are two I have seen, one in OR, other in FLA. Are Rennlisters avail to give cars a quick look over for those of us far away?

Say I get one. Where to get it serviced in southern NH?

Thanks,

Harold
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Sure you can ask a fellow Rennlister to do a "Rennfax" and eyeball a car for you....good luck in the search!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Harold, welcome! May I ask what your purchase budget is if you don't mind sharing? It will give a better idea of what car you can get. Also I'd say budget at least $10k on top of that. Things are never as they seem and there might be "issues" with the car that will need sorting out once you take delivery. And then of course if you hang out here too much it'll be hard to resist modifying your car. Be careful. The Porsche "slippery slope" is real! Best of luck in the search. Do your home work, think clearly, and don't let emotions get in the way.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:36 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Say I get one. Where to get it serviced in southern NH?

Thanks,

Harold
Exotech. In Plaistow.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the one in OR located?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:17 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 272 Posts

"Knowledge is power". The more you look at, the more you know a good one when you find it. Although not close, Jerry Pellegrino, European Performance Engineering (www.epe.com) in Natick, MA. Tell him Stan from NC recommended him.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! Even if you're precluding black and white tips, targas and cabs, you should have a fair number to choose from. Unfortunately, you may have to consider cars on the other coast or you may be waiting a long time.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:02 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Do not shy away from higher miles vehicles. The key issue is have the high cost service items been done recently, clutch, steering rack, air injector system service. Synchros, struts, distrbutor belt. At 80k miles some of these have been done, at 120k most have been. Damage repair if not involving the rea qtrs of the car or the door pillars is not a huge concern if the work was well done. Damage involving unibody should be avoided. I recall shopping was a fun activity and requires patience and creativity to find the right car from the right guy. Best wishes, Andy
Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome,

this is the right place to learn about 993s, and their idiosyncrasies. don't worry about high mileage examples, especially for DD. look for one that has been taken care of, OR one you can tear into and get put in the right condition. every once in a while, Rennlisters put their cars up for sale, so that is also an option.

As noted, there is a network here and Rennlisters will happily look at a car for you if geography is an issue. Yes, there are a great deal more supply in California, and with out weather and no salt on the roads, a good place to look for a car. As you have noticed demand has increased, thus it has become a seller's market. Don't let that discourage you, but be prepared to act quickly when the right one comes along.

Make sure you have an independent PPI done, so you know what you are getting, and what issues/ problems may arise down the road. some you can put off, others may be more imminent. the imminent ones will impact your budget.

when I bought my 993 in 2007, I planned on doing a valve job, hoping I wouldn't have to do it right away, and I didn't. in fact my car is in the shop right now, just getting it done, 9 years after I purchased the car.

good luck with your search.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:49 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow, thanks all for the info and advice.

Teddy : regarding budget, would love to stick to the $40k's as anything up to $ 50-55k would leave me not too much wiggle room for the unexpected. I know, be prepared to search for awhile. I swear a lot of guys think that just because they only washed their cars with unicorn tears it is worth $$$$.

I saw this:
http://www.intersportsales.com/1995-...2/Details.aspx

But then see the 10 owners and the fact that it has been for sale for about 5 months now (that I have noticed), guessing they are not budging on price or some other issue? Priced a little too high for me anyways.

Phoneyman: PM'd ya

Anyone available for a Rennfax in the Medford, OR area?
Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Good luck with the search. I got my 993 four years ago today and I could barely afford it. I had to sell my subaru STi and my two motorcycles to buy a 94k Miles black C4S. Found it in Michigan. 4 or 5 previous owners.

You'll be psyched though when it finally happens. Just drive it though. Please, drive it. Don't sequester it away in a garage under a cover like some secret treasure. Haha.

--Michael
Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Anyone available for a Rennfax in the Medford, OR area?
It's best to create a new, separate thread such as "Rennfax needed in Medford, OR area". There are a bunch of helpful Rennlisters who would be more than happy to pore over a car for you.

Also, you need to have at least five posts to utilize the private message (PM) feature.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:15 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Also, you need to have at least five posts to utilize the private message (PM) feature.
Strange, he was able to PM me. Not sure if he actually received my response though.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 PM
hockey1623
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck on the search!

Best place to get it serviced..Exotech, Plaistow, NH.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Halfgerman, here is a nice 95 w/ 74k for 54k. It's on the west coast so it might be too far away for you. I don't know the car but I have purchased a Porsche from this dealer in the past. He has a Volvo dealership but has a pretty extensive Porsche collection that he sells from. good luck on your hunt.

https://slo.craigslist.org/ctd/5603976157.html

Quick Reply: Hello (intro)