993 Forum 1995-1998

Tire weights

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tire weights

Today I decided to remove my solid TT wheels with Bridgestone RE050A tires, and install my other set of solid TT wheels with Michelin PS Cup tires. Out of curiosity I weighed them all. I was amazed at how much lighter the cup tires are.

The front wheels with cups were about 2.5 lbs lighter than the Bridgestones, and the rear wheels with cups were about 5.5 lbs lighter. So, for those who pay a lot of attention to weights of wheels, remember to consider differences in tire weights too.

Tires are all factory sizes: Fronts 225/40x18, Rears 285/30x18 Front wheel/tire combos with Bridgestones were about 49 lbs, Rears were about 60 lbs.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:40 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

+ 993 Ken...

Unsprung rotating mass is certainly nothing to ignore! Those that dont recognize the upgrade to lighter wheels and tires are missing the boat.

In another thread, a RL gentleman was struggling over Tramonts vs hollow spoke 996 wheels. The weight savings per wheel was min of 8 lbs per. Add in lighter tires and the savings was over 10 lbs per wheel. THATS HUGE IN TERMS OF UNSPRUNG ROTATING MASS, (and moment of inertia reduction) !!!

Others seemed to think the change would be unnoticible.

In "sprung" weight terms, which is LESS critical than "unsprung weight"; losing 7-10 lbs is like gaining 1 hp.

The math is simple if you recogize the formula...
Old 06-02-2016, 01:47 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+2
My BBS LMs had brand new RE050a tires mounted on them when I bought them. Same sizes as yours. If the rims did not look so good, I would have put them up for sale the very same day I installed them on the car!
It felt like I had just lost 50hp with these ridiculous boat anchors...
Since then, I pay very close attention to the overall rotating mass. I stay away from heavy rims and tires.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

+993

i just can't believe it when folks say they can't feel the difference

i can feel lower unsprung/rotational weight immediately on any car, and especially on a p-car... and the benefits are many-fold...

if a performance/sports car comes with heavy wheels and tires, it is one of the best/smartest mods one can make to make it feel much sportier

Quick Reply: Tire weights