993 Forum 1995-1998

New Headlight Lens Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:33 AM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headlight Lens Replacement Question

Attempting to install new headlight lens today. I purchased new headlight lens from Pelican and the part numbers match/fit, etc...I am able to fit the new headlight lens back on to the headlight assembly without any problems. The issue is seeding the headlight assembly back into the fender. I've searched here on RL for a solution and the common solution is to use 2 people to force/hold the headlight assembly into place while moving the headlight locking lever. (I have attempted this solution and it simply is not solving the problem for me.)
The problem I am having appears to be with the size of the rubber "nubs" on the new headlight housing. They appear to be larger/longer then ones on the original lens housing. (See attached pictures.)
I don't want to file these down fearing it will cause some sort of sealing issue. FWIW, I am able to replace the original headlight lens back on to the headlight assembly and seed the headlight assembly into the fender (lights work) without any problems.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I also just purchased new lenses and have them ready to install. I was going to wait until I got the xpel film before putting them on the car but maybe I can try putting one on and see if I have the same problem.

The nubs on my lens looks the same as yours so I don't think you have a dud.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Default Lens

FWIW, I took both my lens to a certified Xpel installer (convenient for me at the time) but they would not install Xpel on the lens without the lens properly installed in the car. (I thought it might be easier for them to install with the new lens yet to be installed, but they said this is not the case.)
Old 05-15-2016, 03:43 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993KHTO
FWIW, I took both my lens to a certified Xpel installer (convenient for me at the time) but they would not install Xpel on the lens without the lens properly installed in the car. (I thought it might be easier for them to install with the new lens yet to be installed, but they said this is not the case.)
Yes, it's easier to install when the lenses are mounted. Mounted, they don't flop around when you're trying the position and smooth the film.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:10 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Ok, I just replaced the glass on both lenses and was able to get the assembly back in and working.

What I think is your problem is that the male/female connectors are not aligned. There is some play with the connector inside the fender. When I put the passenger side in, I faced a similar issue to what you describe. I pushed the connector up into place and the headlight went in as expected.

Maybe give that a try. Let me know...
Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
Yes, it's easier to install when the lenses are mounted. Mounted, they don't flop around when you're trying the position and smooth the film.
Did you do the application yourself? We are local. Would you be willing to lend a hand when I get the film (assuming you did them yourself)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
Did you do the application yourself? We are local. Would you be willing to lend a hand when I get the film (assuming you did them yourself)
Yes, I've done headlight film installs before. Not much to it really. Peel, spray both sides with soapy solution, stick, squeegee. Xpel has a YouTube video showing the procedure on a 997 IIRC.

The trick is to not get frantic over tiny bubbles or "fog" under the film when first installed. Get all the big ones out by pressing with the squeegee, and the rest will evaporate through the film. You can accelerate the evaporation by leaving it in the sun. It will be perfect after that.

Happy to help if we can find a time
Old 05-21-2016, 11:45 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Got the xpel film and just went to apply it. They don't cover all the glass and seem to be randomly cut with weird bulges around the edge. Is this normal?
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 PM
993KHTO
Racer

I finally got the lights into the car fender and they look great. My issue was resolved by simply having a 2nd person push the light housing further "into" the fender (not "down" as I could only do by myself.) Just pushing the headlight into the fender at this slightly different angle made the locking lever move easily into place.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:50 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Got the xpel film and just went to apply it. They don't cover all the glass and seem to be randomly cut with weird bulges around the edge. Is this normal?
Hmm. I would expect the film to cover the front face of the glass, but not the tapered back section of the lens. That would surely cause folds in the film.

I haven't opened my package from Xpel since I received it. Maybe I'll go have a look.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:46 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

From the YouTube video expel created, I did actually expect the film to cover all the glass and not just the face.

See the video:
Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

That doesn't look correct. It should most of the lens of not all, at least the case with mine that was installed by an approved Xpel shop. I'd contact their customer service, my dealings with them I'm sure they will quickly send out a replacement.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Contacted Xpel and they agree that they must have sent the wrong film for my lens. They are sending a replacement at no cost. Snowbird, I'll see what comes in the new package and will post here.

I have to say, they were very good about making things right and sending out a new package. Good customer service experience.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:40 AM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So did you get the replacement kit? Is it any different(more coverage)? What was Xpel part number? H2503?
I had my new headlights done by approved shop yesterday, and only covers face of lens. When I questioned installer, he said that's the size kit specifies in the computer which is what cuts the pattern?!
Called Xpel today, got nowhere!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

So, Expel did send me replacements. I had already put in the others and to be honest, I have not opened the replacements to check. I will do so tonight and report back.

I can tell you that I got a bill from Fedex for $50 for customs charges! Canada is a great place but when you need to order anything from the US, you can count on getting hosed (Eh).

Quick Reply: New Headlight Lens Replacement Question