993 Forum 1995-1998

Ignition Switch & Radio/Alarm Issue Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:04 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Ignition Switch & Radio/Alarm Issue Update

Some months back I started having an issue with the radio not turning off when I switched off the car. It would shutdown then power back up.

Then recently I couldn't lock the doors/the alarm would not turn on. I locked the door with the key and engaged the alarm. When I tried to disengage the alarm with the fob, the alarm would not disengage. I used the key to unlock the door. The alarm went off. The fob then was not able to turn the alarm off. I unplugged the battery.

I decided it was time to try one of the suggestions I read about here: Replace the ignition switch. Today I did it and holy hell was that top screw nearly impossible to get out. Crazy.

I did get it out and installed the new switch and plugged it back in and reconnected the battery. I am now able to turn on and off the alarm and the radio turns off when I key off the car.

Hopefully this is the end of these annoying issues.

--Michael
Old 04-24-2016, 02:23 AM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

+993
Amazing how many things are affected by that spring wearing out.
Luckily you changed it before frying out the alarm module.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme

I decided it was time to try one of the suggestions I read about here: Replace the ignition switch. Today I did it and holy hell was that top screw nearly impossible to get out. Crazy.

I did get it out and installed the new switch and plugged it back in and reconnected the battery. I am now able to turn on and off the alarm and the radio turns off when I key off the car.

--Michael
I have just removed my lower dash and am about to replace the ignition switch. Just curious if anyone has advice on how to get the top screw out.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Some months back I started having an issue with the radio not turning off when I switched off the car. It would shutdown then power back up.

Then recently I couldn't lock the doors/the alarm would not turn on. I locked the door with the key and engaged the alarm. When I tried to disengage the alarm with the fob, the alarm would not disengage. I used the key to unlock the door. The alarm went off. The fob then was not able to turn the alarm off. I unplugged the battery.

Hopefully this is the end of these annoying issues.

--Michael
Michael,
If you wouldnt mind, could you please post the part number?
Thanks anyway, I think this is it...964.613.012.00
TIA!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Would it be easier to just drill out the four rivets under the keyway cap and pull the entire lock mechanism with the switch attached out?
I did this years ago on my 86' Carrera and I seem to recall it wasn't that difficult.

Has anyone done this on their 993 who can provide feedback?
Old 02-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Update. Solved.

I found an easy way to do this.

1. Remove left vent. Pull off the lever for the vent fins at the back, right of the vent. The vent will pop out.

2. Disconnect the wiring plugs for both the lights and the ignition switch. This gives you clear visual access to both screws.

3. Using a stubby, fat headed phillips screw driver remove the two screws and the switch pops out.

Previously I had removed the silver VWO box (two 10mm plastic nuts). Not sure if this is required but it does allow for more room for your hands.

This trick makes me wonder if removing the lower dash is required, but it did allow more room underneath allowing easier access to both the vent and the ignition switch.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch & Radio/Alarm Issue Update